tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely not :( She has trouble getting mysis out of the blister packs.. lol. That’s about as much as she does.

How do they get from the display to the return to the fuge to the skimmer knowing you don’t use socks but that still seems like a far way to go. Plus on my fuge they would have to scale a wall. Is your skimmer placed before all of that?

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree. The logistics are very difficult. It’s hard to find quality aquarists who are willing to do that as their full time job. Even with modest pay, like $100-$200 a day, people don’t want to do it. There’s a giant market that would use that service, just no one to actually do the job. I have been developing an app & website this past year for this service exactly. Its a person to person standard gps based app & website similar to wag or rover(dog walking apps) except for aquarium maintenance, feedings, tank sitting, even plumbing and setting up a new tank if your new. The majority of the workers would be advanced hobbyists looking to make a little extra money and help people with their cool tanks, like people who drive for uber as a side gig, but more perks. I also attempted to incorporate current maintenance companies and they didn’t want anything to do with being on a new website or having to deal with clients in a different way. It seems that in this industry people are stuck in their ways. Once I got into the business phase I was extremely let down trying to hire even hobbyists, people wanted way to much money for even basic services leaving very little profit margin. It’s still a dream of mine and I would love to see it a reality, I would use the service myself without a doubt. The initial launch is also very difficult because I need a massive staff even trying a pilot in the Bay Area. Hopefully I’ll meet some more VC’s who see the need for this service and maybe have some more expertise on how to get a fairly large staff for “make your own hours” work. Just thought I’d share.

Apex? Turns off the skimmer. I travel a ton and have not had this happen yet but it interests me so I need it at least want to take all possible precautions.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a nightmare aren’t they! I think this is the 5th or 6th time I’ve had to totally take my skimmer apart in 2 months. That’s pretty frequent... to frequent... Id love to get like a weir guard like return pumps have to put over the Venturi.
I’m sure there’s an issue with that design or it would have been done..
But it would sure save me a lot of headache. If this would of happened over this weekend while I’m out of town I would of been screwed. It would of burnt up the skimmer pump then most likely kill the tank with a massive bacterial bloom&pH drop and no way to clean it up.

Sounds like an opportunity for @dantimdad to fabricate some kind of 3D protection/snail keeper-outer. And, well, he can send it to you right after you send that shipment you've been talking about for 3 weeks! Lol

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an opportunity for @dantimdad to fabricate some kind of 3D protection/snail keeper-outer. And, well, he can send it to you right after you send that shipment you've been talking about for 3 weeks! Lol

Ouch!!

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that my Pens are out I’m looking fleury and the VGK to do it. Go to many games a year around the country. Wherever I am visiting I try to get to a game.
I still miss my Northstars **** you Dallas!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still miss my Northstars **** you Dallas!

Dino Ciccarelli Saw him play against St. Louis in 82. Probably my favorite North Star. Of course I was a right winger so I may be a bit partial.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was right wing too. Number 16 ;) after Bobby before switching to 9 and Brett Hull. Brett was big when I was a youngin. Modano was probably my favorite Northstar next would be Dino for sure.

Gary Unger was the big guy when I was young. I actually played half a season without a helmet before the rule kicked in 85 for minor league play.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gary Unger was the big guy when I was young. I actually played half a season without a helmet before the rule kicked in 85 for minor league play.
I'll take @crusso1993 job here.... That explains so much.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take @crusso1993 job here.... That explains so much.

HAHAHA!

4 concussions, over 400 stitches, all my fingers and toes broken and nose broken 3 times.

I think hockey may have been tough on me. :confused:

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan!

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bring home about 50.00 a day. I'd trade.
I’d do it just to see some cool tanks and potentially get some free frags if they need to trim! Haha

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was right wing too. Number 16 ;) after Bobby before switching to 9 and Brett Hull. Brett was big when I was a youngin. Modano was probably my favorite Northstar next would be Dino for sure.

Center but I liked defense best bc I liked to hit so now in stick and puck leagues I play defense even though there is less hitting allowed. Still a blast though.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Center but I liked defense best bc I liked to hit so now in stick and puck leagues I play defense even though there is less hitting allowed. Still a blast though.
Niceee. I got new equipment a few years ago to join an adult league but never found the time :( I played from 5-18 though! Rightwing, center, D, back to right wing. Great sport. I think I’ve posted on here somewhere that in high school we used to have games where the Johnstown Chiefs play(slapshot movie), that was always pretty cool.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested
That’s great! Any experience in start ups, consulting, hiring, corporate law ? Thanks for showing interest! That means a lot to me. I’ve been working hard on this. I want it to exist so badly; It stinks that we all have to worry a fair amount when we are out of town and can’t really fully enjoy our vacations/trips.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Who's Gary Unger? Is he related to Felix? I do know who Bobby Hull is though! :p

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree. The logistics are very difficult. It’s hard to find quality aquarists who are willing to do that as their full time job. Even with modest pay, like $100-$200 a day, people don’t want to do it. There’s a giant market that would use that service, just no one to actually do the job. I have been developing an app & website this past year for this service exactly. Its a person to person standard gps based app & website similar to wag or rover(dog walking apps) except for aquarium maintenance, feedings, tank sitting, even plumbing and setting up a new tank if your new. The majority of the workers would be advanced hobbyists looking to make a little extra money and help people with their cool tanks, like people who drive for uber as a side gig, but more perks. I also attempted to incorporate current maintenance companies and they didn’t want anything to do with being on a new website or having to deal with clients in a different way. It seems that in this industry people are stuck in their ways. Once I got into the business phase I was extremely let down trying to hire even hobbyists, people wanted way to much money for even basic services leaving very little profit margin. It’s still a dream of mine and I would love to see it a reality, I would use the service myself without a doubt. The initial launch is also very difficult because I need a massive staff even trying a pilot in the Bay Area. Hopefully I’ll meet some more VC’s who see the need for this service and maybe have some more expertise on how to get a fairly large staff for “make your own hours” work. Just thought I’d share.
Wow, that's an awesome idea. It kind of surprises me that
That's a great idea. Its weird that people will sign up to drive rideshare for so little, but people who have some vicational skills overvalue their work. I used to supplement my hobbies doing mechanical work. I pick up jobs like timing belts or clutch replacements that would cost an arm and a leg at a shop. I can charge $200 to $400 labor for a half days work and everyone is happy. I would gladly do the same in this hobby. It would be a great way to add to the reefing budget, and I would get to stay fairly clean while doing it. I hope that you meet some like minded investors and get this service into the market.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back