ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want some of your input. I have a 20gal nano just sitting in storage. It’s an AIO and I was thinking about starting a budget build and post it on r2r. Just to show how easy and cheaply it can be done. But I was thinking about using rainbow substrate. Plastic corals. Maybe a spongebob pineapple house. And then throw 2 clowns in it and call it a day. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want some of your input. I have a 20gal nano just sitting in storage. It’s an AIO and I was thinking about starting a budget build and post it on r2r. Just to show how easy and cheaply it can be done. But I was thinking about using rainbow substrate. Plastic corals. Maybe a spongebob pineapple house. And then throw 2 clowns in it and call it a day. Any thoughts?
:mad::mad::mad: Lol. Plan for some live rock and real corals in there and we’ll talk. ;)

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The funny thing is like 3 years ago I ogled at ATM tanks on that show tanked. They always had fake stuff in them. You literally couldn’t pay me to have one of those monstrosities in my house now that I’m a reefer lol. I would be so ashamed lol.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am personally not into the plastic stuff, but to each their own of course. I would consider that live corals will compete with algae for nutrients, while in your proposed tank the algae will be allowed to grow uncontested. It will cover those faux pieces and although they may be easy to take out and clean, I am guessing it will need to be done as frequently as cleaning the glass. Coralline may also take over those pieces. One suggestion would be to use very minimal lighting as you will likely not need much anyway.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. Algae was my only concern. This tank is for my son when he’s at grandmas house. Won’t find it in my house. I thought about doing BB FO but that’s torture to fish. Maybe some dry rock? He loves clowns and I don’t so I’m not putting them in my tank and I’m busy enough as it is and don’t feel like taking care of two tanks.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a newbie on here quite a long time ago that did something with colored gravel and plastic pieces and they got eaten up by some people on here. I think it was mean but it was also funny how angry it makes people :p

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. Algae was my only concern. This tank is for my son when he’s at grandmas house. Won’t find it in my house. I thought about doing BB FO but that’s torture to fish. Maybe some dry rock? He loves clowns and I don’t so I’m not putting them in my tank and I’m busy enough as it is and don’t feel like taking care of two tanks.
In that case, I say yes, let him pick out the fun stuff and make it his own.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a newbie on here quite a long time ago that did something with colored gravel and plastic pieces and they got eaten up by some people on here. I think it was mean but it was also funny how angry it makes people :p
Yeah, I think Chris threw up in his mouth a little ;Hilarious. I see nothing wrong with it even if it is not for me. For a child it should be simple and fun so he can learn the basics of maintenance.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case, I say yes, let him pick out the fun stuff and make it his own.
There’s a barber shop that has a SW tank with all these ugly plastic ornamentals. You’d think it was a FW tank if you didn’t know the fish. It’s pretty ugly.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol! Those threads are my fav! If you see another one tag me in it. I get some great laughs before mods edit or lock it lol. I’m nice though. Some people are bruuuuutal.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think Chris threw up in his mouth a little ;Hilarious. I see nothing wrong with it even if it is not for me. For a child it should be simple and fun so he can learn the basics of maintenance.
Yeah. He crashed my tank in the spring. I took my heater out to clean it and was hooking the chiller up. He cranked the heater up and threw it back in. I didn’t catch it. I stuck my hand in the water and it extremely warm. Killed all SPS except a monti. Melted some softies. But fish were having a good time. So uhh... yeah, he can learn maintenance on his own tank.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it has an ato, yea, seems easy enough.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol! Those threads are my fav! If you see another one tag me in it. I get some great laughs before mods edit or lock it lol. I’m nice though. Some people are bruuuuutal.
I’ve seen those. They are funny to be honest. There’s one woman that has one but she said she has no access to corals. That’s cool. But the ones who go to petco and say I want a Nemo and a dory and just throw stuff in.... they need a good spanking

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. He crashed my tank in the spring. I took my heater out to clean it and was hooking the chiller up. He cranked the heater up and threw it back in. I didn’t catch it. I stuck my hand in the water and it extremely warm. Killed all SPS except a monti. Melted some softies. But fish were having a good time. So uhh... yeah, he can learn maintenance on his own tank.
I remember that :( What did you say to him?? I don’t know what I would do. I’m not a yeller. But that would literally kill me. The thing you created and love killing the thing you created and love... whoa.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love what @Victoria M did with the Mickey PVC sculptures in her QT here (post 1,506)

and here (post 2,772)

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen those. They are funny to be honest. There’s one woman that has one but she said she has no access to corals. That’s cool. But the ones who go to petco and say I want a Nemo and a dory and just throw stuff in.... they need a good spanking
Yea the lady who lives on some island off of England or something? Like a 6 hour drive, a boat ride, and a walk home lol. She’s cool. I haven’t seen her post in awhile. Hmm

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember that :( What did you say to him?? I don’t know what I would do. I’m not a yeller. But that would literally kill me. The thing you created and love killing the thing you created and love... whoa.
The F word in the highest of decibels possible. I can’t control my anger but I don’t hit. The corals took awhile to die. SPS like to give that slow die off. So you can watch them die for days.

I had to toss in ice and ice packs from the freezer and I probably dropped the salinity quite a bit which probably didn’t help. Fortunately I had some extra mixed water ready to correct it.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love what @Victoria M did with the Mickey PVC sculptures here (post 1,506)

and here (post 2,772)
Too funny ;Hilarious

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the lady who lives on some island off of England or something? Like a 6 hour drive, a boat ride, and a walk home lol. She’s cool. I haven’t seen her post in awhile. Hmm
That’s the one! Yeah. Some people just drop off. There was an epic tank crash and I feel so bad criticizing this guy... maybe you saw it. He had a monster tank that’s like 400+ gallons or something. Built in his basement. He would jump in the water to rearrange his rocks and stuff (I hate putting my arms all the way in). Then he had a huge ich outbreak. Then got things back up and running and then a fire broke out from his wiring.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%

Back