OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved a few rocks around on the right side of my tank. Still not a big fan of it. I really want to do a big rescape and get it perfect.
2DAB8D67-5A39-4B5D-904D-F0AEF737B409.jpeg

B9FC927D-569D-4B04-9A67-330E4BE141E2.jpeg

My helper
03A14DAD-4993-487F-AA77-DF111630AFFB.jpeg

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Sorry been busy finally catching up and I know the feeling when you hate your rock scape. I want to completely rip mine out but afraid I will suffer more losses.

But an idea that I was told to try is to get like a large tarp and lay it in front of your tank. Then start with the center of your tank back wall and work out to the front. Then do the same for left and right sides. Once this is done you can finish the top or complete the idea you had from the prior level.

My first rock scape I had no idea what I was doing and just threw it in there and I just loved it. I think this time I tried to hard and that may be your issue also. Not sure how good you are at drawing etc but maybe draw what you want. The problem we both have is we already have well lol (i had) lots of corals. But I’m your case it may be easier to remove the corals you can placed in sump or water which ever then take them all out and start over. It’s frustratint when you just can’t get the look you want.

Heck maybe I will take my rocks out and glue them the way I want into sections so I can get it in and out once I move again.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Sorry been busy finally catching up and I know the feeling when you hate your rock scape. I want to completely rip mine out but afraid I will suffer more losses.

But an idea that I was told to try is to get like a large tarp and lay it in front of your tank. Then start with the center of your tank back wall and work out to the front. Then do the same for left and right sides. Once this is done you can finish the top or complete the idea you had from the prior level.

My first rock scape I had no idea what I was doing and just threw it in there and I just loved it. I think this time I tried to hard and that may be your issue also. Not sure how good you are at drawing etc but maybe draw what you want. The problem we both have is we already have well lol (i had) lots of corals. But I’m your case it may be easier to remove the corals you can placed in sump or water which ever then take them all out and start over. It’s frustratint when you just can’t get the look you want.

Heck maybe I will take my rocks out and glue them the way I want into sections so I can get it in and out once I move again.
That’s some solid advice! Thank you! I for sure think I was overthinking things. I wish that epoxy stuff wasn’t so , I don’t know the word, inorganic?, I hear it smells bad and takes awhile to clear out of the water. Which worries me to use with corals that are finally doing good. I want to make big cool structures with the branches I have so I can put acros up high. Stacking them without any epoxy is tricky, they have to have a really big base which uses the majority of my rocks lol.

Last edited:

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s some solid advice! Thank you! I for sure think I was overthinking things. I wish that epoxy stuff wasn’t so , I don’t know the word, inorganic?, I hear it smells bad and takes awhile to clear out of the water. Which worries me to use with corals that are finally doing good. I want to make big cool structures with the branches I have so I can put acros up high. Stacking them without any epoxy is tricky, they have to have a really big base which uses the majority of my rocks lol.

Lol yeah it’s tricky that’s for sure. The epoxy I just bought you build the rock scape out of the tank. (The epoxy dries solid before it goes back in. You build it into sections that will fit like a puzzle but each section has to fit through the top obviously. Some make neat base structures that would be to scary and fall with this. Then once back in the tank they add the rest of their rock but it’s stacked. Some do top sections also to make moving tanks that have coral growth stay the same way if moved. When I get a chance I’ll take a pic of it but this stuff won’t work in water if the epoxy is wet. (It can go on wet surfaces it says dry rock bonds better but wet rock will work but longer. Inside the tank with water and they say it will not work.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No worries with epoxy other than maybe your skimmer going nuts for a while but you could do a little at a time to keep that in check.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should leave the scape as is and let it fill in. A large SPS colony on either side will quickly reach upwards and make it look fantastic!
Or stag horns. Like @Janci 's... mmm.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to get one of those frag contraptions I showed you and cheaper t5 lights. I'm going to move all my corals over and completely redo my rock structure. I'm going to take the coral off the existing rocks, or break them up. I'm hoping I can keep some frags in the frag contraption as a back up and then place the corals where I want them, rather than having to work around where they already are on the rocks.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to get one of those frag contraptions I showed you and cheaper t5 lights. I'm going to move all my corals over and completely redo my rock structure. I'm going to take the coral off the existing rocks, or break them up. I'm hoping I can keep some frags in the frag contraption as a back up and then place the corals where I want them, rather than having to work around where they already are on the rocks.
Nicee, I need to do something similar.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back