Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good meeting you today! Sad to see such a skilled reefer that really loves the hobby have to break down his reef!! We are going to name the wild nameless coral we got from you "The Hemmdog Acro" as a tribute to a reefer that loves the hobby. Any backstory as to where you got it?
Cheers! Mark & Peter

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good meeting you today! Sad to see such a skilled reefer that really loves the hobby have to break down his reef!! We are going to name the wild nameless coral we got from you "The Hemmdog Acro" as a tribute to a reefer that loves the hobby. Any backstory as to where you got it?
Cheers! Mark & Peter
It was great meeting you too! Thank you for the compliments.
It was a brown mostly dead acro I got from an indo shipment. I nursed it back to health and it started showing more colors, first the mint base, then pink polyps, then the yellow corallites. I got lucky on it, it colors up really nice when it’s happy.

Last edited:

Cudaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang good to meet ya today ! Your tank is nothing short of spectacular ... pics do not do it justice, I can only imagine how incredible your next tank is gonna be ! Thank you for everything today ... everyone’s doing great in the new digs ! I will be bugging Mark @Daddy-o for a frag of The Hemmdog Acro when it’s ready.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang good to meet ya today ! Your tank is nothing short of spectacular ... pics do not do it justice, I can only imagine how incredible your next tank is gonna be ! Thank you for everything today ... everyone’s doing great in the new digs ! I will be bugging Mark @Daddy-o for a frag of The Hemmdog Acro when it’s ready.
Great meeting you today too! Thank you so much for the compliments! I wish you could of seen it before I started selling things!
I’m happy to see a few of my old time fish and corals go to a good home :)

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s doing good!
439994A6-38C5-4B24-A4CF-A87F64473734.jpeg

1AC446AC-D83A-4442-B3CE-9B0521634E12.jpeg

5937F5E8-6347-44DA-B92F-FA9EC825D073.jpeg

6B2B2B0B-5189-4299-9E38-A717FAA17628.jpeg
Name for the first picture? Made me drool

happy and sad reading you are breaking down the tanks. Your dream tank andpermanent home in the future will be a thing of Beauty for you and wife.
Thank you for the adobe given and the journey of your tanks.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hemmdog sorry that I’m just seeing this. Bummer about your news and breaking down your tank. I will say that as a newbie I always appreciated your thoughts and advice. Looking forward to seeing your next tank!
Thank you so much! That just made my day!

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey,,hemm hows it going,just checking in :cool:
99% of my coral is sold. Getting to selling fish this week. This sucks. Thinking of maybe getting a waterbox nano peninsula though for the new place at some point. :D @Bleigh was showing them to me earlier.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99% of my coral is sold. Getting to selling fish this week. This sucks. Thinking of maybe getting a waterbox nano peninsula though for the new place at some point. :D @Bleigh was showing them to me earlier.
I have a very rare coral called "The Hemmdog" that I could give you a chunk of for your next reef ;Smuggrin

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah they are sharp. Next time you set up a big tank, hopefully it will be in a home and you can go all out.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dreading posting this for a few weeks now. The owner of my condo is liquidating some assets, my home being one of them. Due to excessively high rents in Silicon Valley, my options for a new place have been limited, especially with having two cats. None of the new places my wife and I looked at allow tanks over 50 pounds, some 25 pounds, most didn’t allow them at all. My wife found a new condo that she really loves so we signed a lease for there; unfortunatly they don’t allow tanks.
I’ve been devastated and really depressed about giving up all my precious corals and fish but I really don’t have much of an option. I’ve sold off a few corals in the past week and I have to admit it makes me really sad when I bag these guys up; so many memories over the years watching them grow from laughable sized frags into impressive colonies and color up beautifully. I can’t imagine the hours I have put into these tanks. I really maintained them on what I would consider a professional level, feeding 5x daily, testing parameters daily, Zeovit dosing, target feeding coral, observing each and every coral throughout the day and see if any look unhappy long term then move them or adjust something in the tank accordingly, so many other things.
This website made my tank what it is. I just read and asked questions, listened to many different people with different methodologies and made my own that worked really well for me. These tanks were good trial runs for my dream tank. I know what I want to do and how to do it now. I made a lot of mistakes and foolish purchases on these that I will know to avoid for the next build. I’m not leaving the hobby, I just won’t have a tank for the next 12 months. Hopefully my life will be in a different place and we will be in a permanent home. Then the dream tank planning and construction begins :)
I sincerely thank each and every one of you who has liked, commented, read this thread and journey. You all are why I kept posting, became super active on reef2reef, and kept learning and sharing my experiences. This whole thread is a treasure trove of knowledge posted by others and occasionally me. If any new reefers are reading this, skim through this thread sometime, you might learn something useful or be able to avoid one of the many mistakes I’ve made along the way.

I’ll post about the break down of the tank as well. Like an alpha omega type deal for the whole thread. Seems kind of like a cool way to look back on my past build.

If anyone lives in the bay, please help me out and buy some coral, I have to be out of here by September. I’m selling it way under value to move stuff fast. My fish need homes too. I also really need someone to take my complete vivarium setup with the dart frogs, also my leopard gecko Gucci. Leopard gecko is free, vivarium pm me, much less than I paid for it all by far.

Like I said, I’m not leaving the hobby, I’ll still be on here helping where I can and sharing experiences and of course learning more great knowledge! The Facebook mod thing has also become sort of a full time volunteer situation on Reef2Reef’s group; so that’s a good way to get ahold of me as I’m on there a lot of the day laying down the law ;) and denying the millions of bots that request to join the group.

Thank you all again for following my journey.

-Chris
Chris bro. I just typed in your name in the search to find your build thread to see what you were up to and now I’m just seeing this. You’re an inspiration to all brother. You wouldn’t let me give up this hobby and I’m so sad to see this. Hang in there until you can reef on an even bigger master level. You’re still young and I picture you being one of those old man reefers in the future. Work hard, get those bills and build a mansion around your fish room.

Best regards,
Scott

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah best regards but I don't think Hemm is going anywhere for too long. Maybe downgrade for a bit. Maybe totally walk away for a bit but will be back. And we will be here to welcome him with tons of corals and support:)

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hemmdog ~ Take my advice. I’ve been here before. Keep as much equipment as you can; the good stuff. If you don’t need the money that is. Save it. It may be outdated later on but it’ll still work. I tried selling stuff and got lowballed. Decided to keep. And it does come in handy in the future.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back