OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to soak my gyres 3 times total to get them clean. They were bad. Stuff is blowing around my tank so much now it looks like I added a additional powerhead. I should clean them more often even though that really wasn’t very fun, especially detailing the blades.
I also did my par readings in both tanks today before I send the supporting members par meter off to @MSB123 tomorrow. @dantimdad i’ll be sending the frags out tomorrow morning as well. The day got away from me with cleaning powerheads.
I was shocked how low my par is as well. In the 90 my sandbed is 130, mid is 160, top of scape middle of tank is 186, 230 2 inches below water surface. Even spread, the back inch of the tank is the same numbers just 10 par less. This is sad news for my sps. I’m not sure what I should do. I haven’t had the growth nor color I’m looking for and this explains it.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm saving up to buy a light on black friday.
Finally chose one, going with the @Reef Breeders Photon V2+

do you check their site semi frequently? I saw they had a v2+ 24" open box return not too long ago for like $100 off, I was tempted.. but I already had 1 AI Prime so just went with a 2nd one

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m back from Maui. My tanks are good. My favorite fish, my blue throat trigger, had jumped while I was away :( he will be missed. I loved that fish. I’m going to keep the tanks as is and not get another blue throat.

Mine just jumped as well when I was gone - must've missed you. Do you have a lid for your tank? Ive avoided getting one until a couple recent horrible mishaps. I just ordered a custom lid from clearview lids. Should be here any day - I've seen them at the LFS -they are well constructed, etc and not too pricey. they do all custom measures.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you check their site semi frequently? I saw they had a v2+ 24" open box return not too long ago for like $100 off, I was tempted.. but I already had 1 AI Prime so just went with a 2nd one

I do check it from time to time.
I will need 36" and 48" fixtures.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine just jumped as well when I was gone - must've missed you. Do you have a lid for your tank? Ive avoided getting one until a couple recent horrible mishaps. I just ordered a custom lid from clearview lids. Should be here any day - I've seen them at the LFS -they are well constructed, etc and not too pricey. they do all custom measures.
I didn’t have one. I ordered one from brs. Not sure how they are.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL
BRS just did a video between there own DIY kit and the Red Sea one they just started selling...The red sea one is better :p
Not by much you're all good

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to soak my gyres 3 times total to get them clean. They were bad. Stuff is blowing around my tank so much now it looks like I added a additional powerhead. I should clean them more often even though that really wasn’t very fun, especially detailing the blades.
I also did my par readings in both tanks today before I send the supporting members par meter off to @MSB123 tomorrow. @dantimdad i’ll be sending the frags out tomorrow morning as well. The day got away from me with cleaning powerheads.
I was shocked how low my par is as well. In the 90 my sandbed is 130, mid is 160, top of scape middle of tank is 186, 230 2 inches below water surface. Even spread, the back inch of the tank is the same numbers just 10 par less. This is sad news for my sps. I’m not sure what I should do. I haven’t had the growth nor color I’m looking for and this explains it.
Is there a par meter rental for supporting members? I didnt know their were extra perks. You know, besides the wealth of information and people willing to go out of their way to help.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMHO - if its redsea - I would return it - I know - I love redsea - But it was a horrible product (the only one from them that I would complain about)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The video clearly showed that the red sea diy screen top is better than the BRS diy screen top
Sorry, just relaying the information from the video.

Yea I - had the xxxxxx top - it was horrible. :)....
BTW - IN this case the xxx does not stand for BRS...

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a par meter rental for supporting members? I didnt know their were extra perks. You know, besides the wealth of information and people willing to go out of their way to help.
Yea. Just put your name on the list in the supporting members private forums.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
those clearview lids look really cool but $100+ on a top.. sucks. lol

If you just lost 400$ on fish another top that didnt have adequate weight - you might not agree :). I know - I love the brand I bought - but it just didnt work for large fish....

Last edited:
Back