Hemmdog’s 90gal Seaciety and 40gal Vale of Shadows

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by Hemmdog, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Hemmdog

Hemmdog Valuable Member R2R Supporter Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

That’s amazing. He sounds like a great guy.

2. crusso1993

crusso1993 Valuable Member Partner Member 2019 Hospitality Award

Finally! I certainly hope no one ever needs a blood transfusion from you! Lol

3. Lowell Lemon

Lowell Lemon Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

It is even better he is not an ambulance driver....lol!

4. Hemmdog

Hemmdog Valuable Member R2R Supporter Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Grabbed a few things at the LFS. Picked up some rollands damsels(2) for the 40b
    8B3F54D2-FB3B-4486-957C-DDC3B8A30A75.jpeg
    They are super cool, I needed some active swimmers, my flame angel and quinquevittatum don’t swim unless there is food.

Also got a deep water acro for my 90. Acropora Echinata; I’ve been eyeing it for awhile at the LFS, decided to give it a try even though he said they are pretty difficult and he’s killed every one he’s tried.
    Blues
    F3F0FDCC-4DCF-43CC-AB89-CF127B448944.jpeg
    Polyp lab
    CA5375F2-9303-49BB-BC91-1A2DE64249CC.jpeg

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  5. mattzang

mattzang Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

nice, i love the rolland damsels.. what's the quinquevittatum? this dude? https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/1151/pinkface-wrasse?pcatid=1151&c=15+1379+1151

isn't that just gonna murder your damsels lol

where'd you put the echinata? i bought an "ice fire" echinata from the lfs about a month ago and it seemed i found several different placement opinions. middleish medium light, high up high light etc. i ended up putting it about as high up as i can in my tank and it seems to be doing well, but the blue only really comes out under more white light. shrug

6. Hemmdog

Yep that’s the one. He’s a juvenile still so he hasn’t got crazy or mean yet. I plan on finding someone with a fowlr or large aggressive reef to rehome him to eventually.
    I put the echinata low medium light, so 200 par and pretty good strong flow. It has awesome pe right now I think I’m gonna leave it here. What’s the name of the echinata that is blue and white? My LFS hates named corals, so even if it is a name, he’s just gonna tell me the scientific name. Lol. Admirable but annoying sometimes haha.
    C0F560F9-C744-458F-A542-E8DCCD70A25F.jpeg
    The Rolands are doing great. They really add something to my 40b. I’m enjoying looking at that tank now!
    94313B4D-9134-469E-9303-A2EEF83AD373.jpeg

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  7. Hemmdog

Just noticed my austera has a new big branch! How fun!
    13B2A12B-F1DF-47DD-B7F3-EB5F7FCF773C.jpeg
    2B31B2B4-711C-4EFA-81D2-0F1CC4C035E6.jpeg
    Pc Superman & Wolverine are encrusting nicely too.

8. Sod Buster

Sod Buster Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

You'll love that superman. Still my favorite table. Makes me miss the one I nuked. I know I can get one from BC, and I will.

9. Hemmdog

Oh and I tested parameters in the 40b for the first time. I let it marinade for a month without stressing over numbers. We are a little off but not to bad at:
    Alk 9.4
    Cal 480
    Mag 1350
    Nitrate 18
    Phosphate .1
    I’m going to go with either my rocks are leeching phosphate from being in the biocube with no media for a year, or my fish sitter overfed pellets when I was in Maui. Either way, I started a small 35g rated bag of chemipure elite & chemipure blue to get nutrients down a bit and help with overall clarity. Corals are doing great in the 40b though, well lps aren’t to picky lol.

10. Hemmdog

It’s one of my favorites in there for sure, I just can’t wait for it to be bigger and get its happy colors, it’s a little green for me now.

11. Sod Buster

Sod Buster Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

If the wolverine is a blue yellow, and the SM is red,white, blue, that will be a interesting focal point in the tank down the road. Just need a pink lemonade or PC rainbow to throw in to the group to make a trio!

12. Hemmdog

I have pink lemonade and pc rainbow both right behind and to the left of them! It should be cool down the road!

13. mattzang

the one i have, the ice fire echinata, is supposed to be like white base with blue tips. shrug, i'll call it a win since it's growing and alive lol

IMG_0130.JPG

that's what it looks like under just random ambient room light

then..

IMG_0135.JPG

just looks really white

oh and tiny polyp extension. the lfs i got it from said it should have polyp extension, but the ones they have in their frag tanks don't have any polyp extension either.. so?!

14. Hemmdog

Very nice! Mine looks similar, just smaller :)

15. mattzang

hah yeah i think i paid.. $40? pretty decent price considering that lfs is usually pretty expensive. they had a decent sized two branch frag of forest fire digi and i asked how much, he said he was gonna cut it up and do frags for $80. i was like whatttttttt. maybe 80 for that entire piece, not 80 for some tiny piece. pays to know what prices are generally decent and what aren't!

16. Hemmdog

Very true. I think I got my forest fire for $40, it started really small though. The echinata I got for a steal at $25, it was marked as $60, he hooked it up. Maybe he figured he would kill it soon with his bad deep water acro luck lol.

17. najer

najer Valuable Member

Good luck with the echinata, they can be tricky. :)

18. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Hemmdog. I have great respect for the 3 year anniversary . Iv's been working/ struggling with this for some time now ! I laud your strength !

19. Hemmdog

Thank you @cracker you will get there! Reefing has helped me immensely to stay sober, so you picked a good hobby! Relaxing & too expensive to afford extra “hobbies” lol.

20. Hemmdog

Thank you! Any tips?

Katrina71 and DiscGolfRob like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted