OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m crossing my fingers for you, but there is definitely a time-bomb aspect to velvet :( They’ve been holding it off for an impressive amount of time.

Even some of the ones that *look* clean could be heavily infested in the gills. I just want to make sure you are prepared... some might not make it through the dips to even get started on treatment... and some might not recover even after the copper is brought up to level. Sometimes the damage is already too great in the gills, despite our best efforts.

Try not to be too hard on yourself during the process. It’s not easy. I’ve been there, twice actually. And both times I lost nearly all of my fish. The second time, I tried to treat them but it was just too late and I didn’t have the knowledge that I do now (Or R2R for that matter, at the time wetwebmedia was the best resource for fish disease treatment, and if you’ve ever read there.... it’s not always easy to find what you need and the advice is quite dated in some cases)

But, it’s also what made me become so passionate about QT and fish disease treatment... and I likely wouldn’t be here now, if not for those experiences.
I see :( That is unfortunate to hear. As soon as my wife gets home we are going to go get a hospital tank, possibly 2. I would go now but of corse I’m having car issues as well. I have to save these guys :(
I love my abt but I really think it may be to late. I’ve been contemplating euthanizing him. It’s a really tough decision.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see :( That is unfortunate to hear. As soon as my wife gets home we are going to go get a hospital tank, possibly 2. I would go now but of corse I’m having car issues as well. I have to save these guys :(
I love my abt but I really think it may be to late. I’ve been contemplating euthanizing him. It’s a really tough decision.
I wouldn't, while you are waiting... go ahead and do the freshwater dip. You still have the link to the video right? That may at least buy you some time for him, and if he doesn't make it... he's not any worse off than he is now honestly. If you've seen humble's article, he's made some pretty impressive recoveries from velvet.
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/tank-terror-identifying-and-treating-marine-velvet.26/

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't, while you are waiting... go ahead and do the freshwater dip. You still have the link to the video right? That may at least buy you some time for him, and if he doesn't make it... he's not any worse off than he is now honestly. If you've seen humble's article, he's made some pretty impressive recoveries from velvet.
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/tank-terror-identifying-and-treating-marine-velvet.26/
Yea I have the link still. He’s still swimming and just ate but he is so covered in this stuff now he’s unrecognizable. He still is to energetic to catch but I’ll keep trying when I see opportune moments. I’ll warm up some RODI for fw dips. Airstone in that do I use wood or the stone ones ?

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea :( lost my mandarin last night. Potentially old age, probably brook or whatever this is though. He was really big and fat, but randomly died :( found him headless and skinned, like a mini grilled fish taco. It was sad.

I'm just catching up. Been busy. I found my mandarin the same way, my cb shrimp was peeling it when the lights came on and I found it.

Always sucks to lose a friend.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’ve had some time to think. Tomorrow is going to be a big day.
@HotRocks @4FordFamily @ngoodermuth @Big G
If I take all my rocks out I can most likely catch the fish. I will loose some corals I’m sure but I guess that’s part of reefing.

Do I put all my fish in the same hospital tank to treat them? Would I be better off getting multiple hospital tanks? What size should all of these be?

I guess I will go fallow in my main display to insure this monster never returns. Do I also need to take out my snails, hermits, urchin, conch? How long of fallow is required for velvet?

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.
I have always been the guy that does things the natural way, let nature take its course with reefing; boy do I look stupid now, lol. :(

Oh man, I went through this same exact process with my 55g, which led to the 125 being rushed and I ran all my rock, coral, and inverts fallow for 77 days and began cupramine and prazi in the 55, every 3 days a fw dip until their skin started looking better.. Saved 6 of my 10 fish. Including a powder brown tang. I had to trade him later due to aggression. From the point on it was prophylactic qt for all.

I really hope you pull through. And you will be surprised how fast the time goes by while u wait. And as long as u maintain the fallow tank with the corals, the fish will be just fine.

Best wishes and luck.

You are in the best hands possible if @HotRocks and friends are here and helping.. full faith in reefsquad and humble's priceless writeups! So much info is at ur fingertips in the disease forum. They were crucial in my emergency and saving my livestock and corals. It was an incredibly discouraging time. But it made me a better reefer going forward.

Hang tough and please reach out if you get down or wanna chat...

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, I went through this same exact process with my 55g, which led to the 125 being rushed and I ran all my rock, coral, and inverts fallow for 77 days and began cupramine and prazi in the 55, every 3 days a fw dip until their skin started looking better.. Saved 6 of my 10 fish. Including a powder brown tang. I had to trade him later due to aggression. From the point on it was prophylactic qt for all.

I really hope you pull through. And you will be surprised how fast the time goes by while u wait. And as long as u maintain the fallow tank with the corals, the fish will be just fine.

Best wishes and luck.

You are in the best hands possible if @HotRocks and help are here. He was crucial in my emergency and saving my livestock and corals. It was a incredible discouraging time. But it made me a better reefer going forward.

Hang tough and please reach out if you get down or wanna chat...
Thanks a bunch man! I’m so thankful for everyone who’s chimed in with advice or even just kind words. This community really is incredible. Thank you again everyone ! I’m sure I’ll have more questions as this process goes on.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks a bunch man! I’m so thankful for everyone who’s chimed in with advice or even just kind words. This community really is incredible. Thank you again everyone ! I’m sure I’ll have more questions as this process goes on.

Good luck man

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude... something going on in CA... sheeesh!!! Just lost my mimic tang... out of nowhere he just sunk to the bottom of my tank... I hurried up and prepared a 5 min freshwater dip... he didnt make it... I dont think I have ever seen a fish die that quickly... sucks dude... what the heck is going on... his eye quickly started to turn blue too... I feel ya man... Really scared whats gonna happen in the morning...
e17f9168f89f2e444641a63e63cdc589.jpg
d32452c789ad10b574ae6a9302f067f7.jpg

8473fe9d0a0ae4f30a1cabe8861345a1.jpg

c46c662dcaf6b5b4fb41d1757bd469b6.jpg
cf4786ca2c5f92919d4bfdc81d9183c9.jpg

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude... something going on in CA... sheeesh!!! Just lost my mimic tang... out of nowhere he just sunk to the bottom of my tank... I hurried up and prepared a 5 min freshwater dip... he didnt make it... I dont think I have ever seen a fish die that quickly... sucks dude... what the heck is going on... his eye quickly started to turn blue too... I feel ya man... Really scared whats gonna happen in the morning...
e17f9168f89f2e444641a63e63cdc589.jpg
d32452c789ad10b574ae6a9302f067f7.jpg

8473fe9d0a0ae4f30a1cabe8861345a1.jpg

c46c662dcaf6b5b4fb41d1757bd469b6.jpg
cf4786ca2c5f92919d4bfdc81d9183c9.jpg
Whoa! That happened quick! Was he showing any signs of illness before today ? Sorry for your loss :(

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No... not at all... Ive had him in the frag tank the longest... first fish in the sytem
dang man. What other fish are in there now? How did his skin get so messed up, that’s sad :(

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That happened as he died... He was bright orange... turned brown in a matter of 30 mins... he ate fine when I fed... then around 9:30 he just sunk to the bottom
Wow man so sorry to hear that :( how has your temperature been down there? That’s what I think started all my issues was warm temps giving an environment for parasites to blow up.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water temp hasnt been a problem... I leave the window open and I also have the chiller for back uo
Ah nice. Have you added anything new ?

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been moving rock and livestock over from my reefer in the frag system to move everything over to that room... I also cleaned the glass and did a water change yesterday... tested no3 and po4 after and they were high... no3 was 25 and po4 was .1... thinking that had something to do with it

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back