Hemmdog’s 90gal Seaciety and 40gal Vale of Shadows

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by Hemmdog, Jan 22, 2019.

1. ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I am the wife, and since we are both involved with the tank there’s not too much debate when it comes to “emergencies” lol

2. Hemmdog

Hemmdog Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Yea I figured. Still going to qt and treat all my fish and start again disease free in 76+ days.

3. Hemmdog

Hemmdog Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Nicee haha, she’s pretty understanding too. I just attempt to keep our placing looking like a house and not a LFS for her lol.

4. Hemmdog

Thanks Will!

5. RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21 Do It Yourself. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

We will be here to keep up on updates. If it was velvet, which was my humble guess, you could have lost them all by tonight if u didnt act fast. So kudos to you for doing everything u can to help your salty friends.

Just stay focussed on the fish and let the tank do what it's always done. And keep a close eye on po4 and no3 in the fallow tank. No more fish poop means more husbandry and coral feeding.

Good luck and keep us up to date!

6. ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Haha, definitely good to be considerate... happy wife, happy life. My H knows all about that :) :)

7. Hemmdog

That’s true. Idk some of you know my power tool situation or lack there of, so that might be tricky. If things get worse before the stand arrives tonight/tomorrow morning I’ll start treating in my water change brute and get a new brute for rocks and other stuff. The tang does look a bit better! Thank you!

8. RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21 Do It Yourself. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

U cant build a cheap anything if u dont already have the supplies and means to do it. $50 for a stand you know can hold double the weight and has proven itself to you is a sure bet. And tough to beat if you dont care about aesthetics!

9. crusso1993

crusso1993 Valuable Member Partner Member 2019 Hospitality Award

True... true... but how about $49? ;)

10. Hemmdog

Lol. I think it was $49 actually! Haha

11. crusso1993

crusso1993 Valuable Member Partner Member 2019 Hospitality Award

BOOM! Now that's what I'm talking about!

12. najer

najer Valuable Member

Best fishie vibes still flowing from us. :)

13. Hemmdog

Thank you! They must be working ;)

14. Katrina71

Katrina71 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

How do these little buggers stay under control in the ocean if they reproduce so quickly in our tanks? I'm being serious. If we could do that on a smaller scale...

15. Katrina71

Katrina71 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

@najer see I could use that word! Lol

16. ngoodermuth

From what I understand, the scale is the problem. In the ocean, a fish gets a parasite ... it feeds, falls off- floats away for however long before it finally sinks to the bottom to reproduce. The fish swims off, and when the newly hatched parasites come out they have lots of other fish hosts to choose from. If they aren’t whisked away in the currents or devoured by a field of filter feeders. So, the likelihood of that same fish being reinfected by the next generation is pretty slim.

So now, trap the fish in a little glass box... the parasite falls off and becomes hundreds of parasites... and guess who they find in their search for a host? It’s like we brought dinner home in a takeout box for them; instead of making them go out... hunt and gather, and cook it themselves.

17. RichtheReefer21

Love this explanation. Well worded.

18. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman "listen to the colour of your dreams” R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Agreed. I get it.

DiscGolfRob, Raege, Katrina71 and 6 others like this.
  19. mattzang

mattzang Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

how are the fish doing? hope all is well

20. Hemmdog

Fish are doing good. Everyone’s hanging in there and recovering. Hospital tank is cycling. Figured I’d let it get a little bio filter before adding everyone since they seem to be hanging in there in the 90. It’s a busy weekend over here, non reef related stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted