OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How hot did the tank end up getting? Hopefully it's not too bad. My corals were really angry for a few days, but didn't end up losing anything - some are still a little dissatisfied looking, but they're not dead. I also don't have any sps, so there's that. I also have TONS of new heads. I know that many plants reproduce after stress events, and some will not reproduce without stress events. Most healthy plants that aren't flowering are in conditions that are so good, they don't get triggered to reproduce, aka flower. Make those conditions slightly less good and suddenly, you'll get tons of flowers.

That seemed to be the case for my corals - lots of babies everywhere. Hopefully that will happen for your corals too.
Wow that’s an awesome observation and super accurate now that I think about it. I have noticed that too in the past :) . My temp controller (ranco) said it was 89 when the power turned back on. Then 6 hours later down to 82. Now it’s back at it’s normal 78. My austera (sps) is 80% rtned, my big birdsnest colony is stning on the tips. My stag has a little stn on its main body. I think it’s slowing down; but I was getting worried there for awhile I’d wake up to a tank full of white sticks. Lol

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How hot did the tank end up getting? Hopefully it's not too bad. My corals were really angry for a few days, but didn't end up losing anything - some are still a little dissatisfied looking, but they're not dead. I also don't have any sps, so there's that. I also have TONS of new heads. I know that many plants reproduce after stress events, and some will not reproduce without stress events. Most healthy plants that aren't flowering are in conditions that are so good, they don't get triggered to reproduce, aka flower. Make those conditions slightly less good and suddenly, you'll get tons of flowers.

That seemed to be the case for my corals - lots of babies everywhere. Hopefully that will happen for your corals too.
Double post

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u have the $ and means, a suitable-sized UV is an added boost to the water processing, but has cons as well as a huge price tag.

Keep swimming. This too shall pass.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u have the $ and means, a suitable-sized UV is an added boost to the water processing, but has cons as well as a huge price tag.

Keep swimming. This too shall pass.
I’d love to get a pentair, they are expensive which stinks and I’ve spent a fortune on reefing stuff lately it seems. I have a commercial property that’s closing soon so the skys the limit after that goes through. My other issue with it though is plumbing one in, my sump doesn’t have much room for an additional dedicated uv pump, and the varios4 isn’t that strong to begin with for my 90 and to manifold it to other things would slow the flow even more. I could redo my plumbing to 1 inch and make a manifold and get a VarioS6 is the only option I’ve been able to come up with.

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love to get a pentair, they are expensive which stinks and I’ve spent a fortune on reefing stuff lately it seems. I have a commercial property that’s closing soon so the skys the limit after that goes through. My other issue with it though is plumbing one in, my sump doesn’t have much room for an additional dedicated uv pump, and the varios4 isn’t that strong to begin with for my 90 and to manifold it to other things would slow the flow even more. I could redo my plumbing to 1 inch and make a manifold and get a VarioS6 is the only option I’ve been able to come up with.

Jebao dcp series bud... you can get 2 pumps that outperform the various for the same price... Im pretty impressed with my dcp10000 and 13000... just bought a 15000 i will be installing soon as well... amazon has a 1 year warranty in them too... so if it poops out, they will send another in 1 day... I know jebaos!!! Love em or hate em, but I think they do amazing for the price tag

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao dcp series bud... you can get 2 pumps that outperform the various for the same price... Im pretty impressed with my dcp10000 and 13000... just bought a 15000 i will be installing soon as well... amazon has a 1 year warranty in them too... so if it poops out, they will send another in 1 day... I know jebaos!!! Love em or hate em, but I think they do amazing for the price tag
I've heard great reviews on a fb group. Some people vouching 7 years strong with bi-annual maintanance cleaning. Strong and reliable if taken care of. Like most of our reefing gear ;)

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True that. I have a 10000 I think on my 40b. It’s pretty good. Makes a little more sound than my RO but not enough to spend hundreds more on a RO, good point.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear, If you take the jebao dcp pumps apart, they almost look identical to the ecotech L1,M1,S1 series... lol!!!

They've been duplicating our tech for decades... they just make it all for less
And with cheaper materials. But they've been around long enough to be consider "time-tested" and if ur ok with all that, the bang for buck is unbeatable in the market.

For what it's worth, I run a Current Eflux return. My LFS has had them running in their systems at the store since they came out. And I'm sure they are not maintained like a dedicated hobbyists takes care of their display gear, but they have about 40 tanks and u cant hear a single return running
And u can walk around the back of their sales tanks and see the systems in person. Nothing to hide.

Great pumps. And cheaper than most.

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s an awesome observation and super accurate now that I think about it. I have noticed that too in the past :) . My temp controller (ranco) said it was 89 when the power turned back on. Then 6 hours later down to 82. Now it’s back at it’s normal 78. My austera (sps) is 80% rtned, my big birdsnest colony is stning on the tips. My stag has a little stn on its main body. I think it’s slowing down; but I was getting worried there for awhile I’d wake up to a tank full of white sticks. Lol

I'm betting after they recover, your corals will look better than before.

It's been my contention that I always come out of stress events looking better than when I went into them. Sadly, I've been considered delusional and bipolar for years now! I do hope you're corals fair better than me! ;)

Last edited:

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been my contention that I always come out of stress events looking better than when I went into them. Sadly, I've been considered delusional and bipolar for years now! I do hope you're corals fair better than me! ;)

So are you delusional about the stress events occurring or that the corals look better afterwards? :p

I guess we could all be imagining our tanks in the first place....

Matrix.gif

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you delusional about the stress events occurring or that the corals look better afterwards? :p

Matrix.gif

Nothing to do with corals or aquariums, at all. I was referring to myself and stress events in my own life! :D

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here brother.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Matrix.gif
Ohh that’s a fun gif !

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how true it is, but I read some posts where people claim oxygenators aided while power outages occurred. I'm very sorry to hear about your troubles, and I feel for my fish and corals just like my dogs. Keep you chin up and things will turn for the positive. JP

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back