crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For tanks of the sizes you considered, a home built stand from wood would be very inexpensive, fast and easy to disassemble, for storage, when done.

The tang is looking WAY BETTER today. Hope you're on the upswing!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicee haha. It’s a balancing act of keeping the wife happy over here too. For awhile I was running 190 gallons in our 1000sqft condo lol, she wasn’t happy. This will be an exception but I can’t take over the kitchen anymore than my reefing stuff already has haha.

I am the wife, and since we are both involved with the tank there’s not too much debate when it comes to “emergencies” lol

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be great if he’s building some resistance... but, keep in mind that these things come on in waves, a large portion of the parasites probably dropped back down to reproduce in the substrate.

The surviving fish might be able to develop some temporary immunity, but you’d always have the chance of this happening again down the road with any type of stress-event like this :(
Yea I figured. Still going to qt and treat all my fish and start again disease free in 76+ days.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am the wife, and since we are both involved with the tank there’s not too much debate when it comes to “emergencies” lol
Nicee haha, she’s pretty understanding too. I just attempt to keep our placing looking like a house and not a LFS for her lol.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I figured. Still going to qt and treat all my fish and start again disease free in 76+ days.

We will be here to keep up on updates. If it was velvet, which was my humble guess, you could have lost them all by tonight if u didnt act fast. So kudos to you for doing everything u can to help your salty friends.

Just stay focussed on the fish and let the tank do what it's always done. And keep a close eye on po4 and no3 in the fallow tank. No more fish poop means more husbandry and coral feeding.

Good luck and keep us up to date!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicee haha, she’s pretty understanding too. I just attempt to keep our placing looking like a house and not a LFS for her lol.

Haha, definitely good to be considerate... happy wife, happy life. My H knows all about that :) :)

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For tanks of the sizes you considered, a home built stand from wood would be very inexpensive, fast and easy to disassemble, for storage, when done.

The tang is looking WAY BETTER today. Hope you're on the upswing!
That’s true. Idk some of you know my power tool situation or lack there of, so that might be tricky. If things get worse before the stand arrives tonight/tomorrow morning I’ll start treating in my water change brute and get a new brute for rocks and other stuff. The tang does look a bit better! Thank you!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s true. Idk some of you know my power tool situation or lack there of, so that might be tricky. If things get worse before the stand arrives tonight/tomorrow morning I’ll start treating in my water change brute and get a new brute for rocks and other stuff. The tang does look a bit better! Thank you!

U cant build a cheap anything if u dont already have the supplies and means to do it. $50 for a stand you know can hold double the weight and has proven itself to you is a sure bet. And tough to beat if you dont care about aesthetics!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U cant build a cheap anything if u dont already have the supplies and means to do it. $50 for a stand you know can hold double the weight and has proven itself to you is a sure bet. And tough to beat if you dont care about aesthetics!

True... true... but how about $49? ;)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do these little buggers stay under control in the ocean if they reproduce so quickly in our tanks? I'm being serious. If we could do that on a smaller scale...

From what I understand, the scale is the problem. In the ocean, a fish gets a parasite ... it feeds, falls off- floats away for however long before it finally sinks to the bottom to reproduce. The fish swims off, and when the newly hatched parasites come out they have lots of other fish hosts to choose from. If they aren’t whisked away in the currents or devoured by a field of filter feeders. So, the likelihood of that same fish being reinfected by the next generation is pretty slim.

So now, trap the fish in a little glass box... the parasite falls off and becomes hundreds of parasites... and guess who they find in their search for a host? It’s like we brought dinner home in a takeout box for them; instead of making them go out... hunt and gather, and cook it themselves.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand, the scale is the problem. In the ocean, a fish gets a parasite ... it feeds, falls off- floats away for however long before it finally sinks to the bottom to reproduce. The fish swims off, and when the newly hatched parasites come out they have lots of other fish hosts to choose from. If they aren’t whisked away in the currents or devoured by a field of filter feeders. So, the likelihood of that same fish being reinfected by the next generation is pretty slim.

So now, trap the fish in a little glass box... the parasite falls off and becomes hundreds of parasites... and guess who they find in their search for a host? It’s like we brought dinner home in a takeout box for them; instead of making them go out... hunt and gather, and cook it themselves.

Love this explanation. Well worded.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Love this explanation. Well worded.
Agreed. I get it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.2%
Back