RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go fill up ur gas tank in ur vehicle... and run to a hardware store and get a 12v inverter hooked up off ur car cigarette lighter and leave ur car running... run a heavy duty (12guage-ish) extension chord inside and run ur tank off it.

Freeze regular tap water in any plastic carton that'll fit and float in ur sump or display, make about 5 of them, and rotate them as they melt. Or if u cant freeze them due to lack of power, buy bags of ice and dump the ice in the containers and float them. It will keep the tank cool in times like these.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also just get a styrofoam cooler and fill it with ice, and run a closed-circuit cheap clear tube system that is coiled in the cooler.

Use any cheap power head to cycle the flow in and out of the tank. It will cool the water as it goes through the ice cold coils and help as well. Hope ur fish pull through.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go fill up ur gas tank in ur vehicle... and run to a hardware store and get a 12v inverter hooked up off ur car cigarette lighter and leave ur car running... run a heavy duty (12guage-ish) extension chord inside and run ur tank off it.

Freeze regular tap water in any plastic carton that'll fit and float in ur sump or display, make about 5 of them, and rotate them as they melt. Or if u cant freeze them due to lack of power, buy bags of ice and dump the ice in the containers and float them. It will keep the tank cool in times like these.
Fantastic idea!

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running low on fish over here. My icecap backup is out of power now. Everyone is laying on their sides who’s still alive. I sent my wife to get the 12v car plug thing and a 100ft extension cord. I’m trying to aerate the water the best I can with a jug, scooping and pouring water, trying to get any air I can in the tank. This is a nightmare. This is worse than velvet.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running low on fish over here. My icecap backup is out of power now. Everyone is laying on their sides who’s still alive. I sent my wife to get the 12v car plug thing and a 100ft extension cord. I’m trying to aerate the water the best I can with a jug, scooping and pouring water, trying to get any air I can in the tank. This is a nightmare. This is worse than velvet.

My heart bleeds for you. :(
My last one was 14 plus hours, I now own a generator.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My heart bleeds for you. :(
My last one was 14 plus hours, I now own a generator.
I think that will be my first purchase.

Seems like the big man upstairs wanted me to go fallow, or quit reefing. ;Shifty
I don’t quit, I adjust my strategy.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't like ecotech pumps, but their battery backup is worth it if you get frequent problems with power outages.

Just clean the ecotech pumps very carefully and often and don't soak in vinegar
Yea I’ve heard it’s a little better. We don’t get them to often but the same transformer always blows up when it gets really hot out. It’s blown 3 times in the past year. This is the longest it’s been out by far though. Going on 13 hours now.
I’ve seen commercials on tv for some generac home generator or something, I think I may look into that since this is more frequent than I’d like, and we can’t have gas generators, I think it’s electric. Worth a try. Anything is better than this.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang tough. Do everything u can and fingers are crossed for u bub. Have u asked a local that has power to help u out? Theres gotta be a good neighbor in SoCal that can help u out... sigh.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang tough. Do everything u can and fingers are crossed for u bub. Have u asked a local that has power to help u out? Theres gotta be a good neighbor in SoCal that can help u out... sigh.
I haven’t asked anyone because I’m still dealing with the velvet outbreak, I don’t know anyone that has the setup to hold sick fish separate from theirs. :(

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the cheapest option for you would be an mp40 and a battery backup most likely. It's just worth it, you can lose everything almost overnight
True. I thought I was being safe with the icecap backup to run my maxspect gyres. I didn't know it would only last a few hours.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that will be my first purchase.

Seems like the big man upstairs wanted me to go fallow, or quit reefing. ;Shifty
I don’t quit, I adjust my strategy.
Just a perception correction...the big man upstairs is the source of life....not death! He is not testing you or trying you but PG& E on the other hand is all over the trying and testing!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t asked anyone because I’m still dealing with the velvet outbreak, I don’t know anyone that has the setup to hold sick fish separate from theirs. :(
;Sorry

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a perception correction...the big man upstairs is the source of life....not death! He is not testing you or trying you but PG& E on the other hand is all over the trying and testing!
Very true ! Haha

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bay Area is having brownouts all over . I also live in a condo and am not allowed to have gas generators in my neighborhood :( Good idea though. I have icecap battery back up for my powerheads on my 90, but my 40b and hospital tank have no protection. Abt was dead in the hospital tank when I woke up. Should of left them in the 90...

Here's another relatively inexpensive option for keeping air and a small bit of flow in the tank:

upload_2019-6-12_12-49-33.png

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back