Steve Elb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I began this journey with my 90 after starting a biocube 32 a year prior. My corals quickly outgrew the 32 and most fish I wanted needed a much larger tank size.

I shopped around online and was almost set on ordering the RedSea Reefer 425XL. My hesitation was hearing locals in the Bay Area of California telling horror stories of the stands collapsing during moderate earthquakes; which we get here somewhat frequently. 2nd was the sump, I wanted acrylic and a really efficent design which ReaSea did not offer.

Fate would have it my LFS had a client who was moving and selling one of his displays for a decent price, so they took it off his hands. The tank (Oceanic 90gal) sat at the shop for almost 3 months before I asked any questions about it. Upon further inquiry he told me that oceanics are beasts; very sturdy, quality glass, and a really rock solid stand that won’t collapse on me. These points gave me peace of mind that the ReaSea stands have been making me weary of. According to my LFS owner Oceanic went under because they spent to much on quality matierials. This may have just been a sales pitch but that’s the kind of issues with a company I like!
61B2EDA4-F8AB-4FCC-A7E3-E8D384D1425C.jpeg

Anyways, it included a sump, and a really good sump at that! A Trigger Emerald 26 in perfect condition.

He said he could get it to my house and help me plumb it for $500. Sold!!
Nice setup. I just moved up from a 25 to a 100....going well. Your corals look great....how do the tangs get along?

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup. I just moved up from a 25 to a 100....going well. Your corals look great....how do the tangs get along?
Nice! Thank you! They did get along great, but I lost them all in a 17 1/2 hour power outage :( I have a tomini tang in there now, he’s happy :)

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahah why’s that? What’s going on with your tank?

I have been neglecting it and it has a frag rack full of stuff because I am waiting for a new tank!!! It is basically a holding-tank right now. Set lights, toss in food, change water......

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been neglecting it and it has a frag rack full of stuff because I am waiting for a new tank!!! It is basically a holding-tank right now. Set lights, toss in food, change water......
Sounds pretty nice to me ;) hahah

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds pretty nice to me ;) hahah

Lights are on 2x4’s because I removed ceiling mounts when I moved the tank so I could get ready for new tank. If you asked me three months ago, I would have said the new tank would be setup and running by now...... now I’m probably 2 months from it being fully setup!

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are on 2x4’s because I removed ceiling mounts when I moved the tank so I could get ready for new tank. If you asked me three months ago, I would have said the new tank would be setup and running by now...... now I’m probably 2 months from it being fully setup!
Nice!

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same old same old over here, things are doing good! Moyers and tomini are eating very well, healthy, and fully acclimated to my lighting schedule now.

Always here to answer questions or whatever, my tanks are kinda on auto pilot these days.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same old same old over here, things are doing good! Moyers and tomini are eating very well, healthy, and fully acclimated to my lighting schedule now.

Always here to answer questions or whatever, my tanks are kinda on auto pilot these days.
The auto-pilot phase is where I tend to really make bad decisions... Like I need another tank BAD decisions :) Stay strong!

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got around to cleaning my gyres. My big plan of a quick peroxide soak and rinse yielded lack luster results. ‘Nothing good comes easy’ yea yea.. I know. It took 2 rolls of paper towels, a bottle of peroxide, 1/2 gal of vinegar, and a whole lot of elbow grease. We are back in action.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also started using Vibrant, trying to get rid of this bubble algae before it takes over. Also hoping it might help with my Sea lettuce issue. Also really hoping it doesn’t kill all my coral. Time will tell. Anyone have experiences with vibrant? I dosed 10ml in my 90/105ish total vol. ; supposed to do that once every 2 weeks since I have low nutrient.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SCORE...Hope it turns into a gem! Maybe someday I’ll have that kind of eye!
Lol, yea my sps eye still isn’t great, but it’s supposed to look similar to this once it’s bigger and colored up.
C66901CB-A4C2-4FD9-8A83-74D98F7CBEE5.jpeg

Back