REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn’t unless excess calcium precipitated and made calcium deposits somewhere in your system. When you increase alk it can release these deposits. If your dosing into a high flow area and have good flow in your tank that shouldn’t happen though.
Same thing with Mag?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing with Mag?
Mag precipitate makes these brown flakes, It rarely happens in tanks, usually in mixing barrels with Red Sea coral pro ;) .
I’ve hypothesized rocks can absorb mag. I had a mystery mag spike last month from 1380(6 months stable) shot up to 1500, it’s slowly coming back down naturally(1440 now).

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag precipitate makes these brown flakes, It rarely happens in tanks, usually in mixing barrels with Red Sea coral pro ;) .
I’ve hypothesized rocks can absorb mag. I had a mystery mag spike last month from 1380(6 months stable) shot up to 1500, it’s slowly coming back down naturally(1440 now).
That’s what happened to me the other day and mines now at 1440 too. Calcium shot up from 447 to 545. Alk is at 7.2 now. Was 6.2. Slowly working on that did half a dose today of Alk. Let’s see what that does.

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what happened to me the other day and mines now at 1440 too. Calcium shot up from 447 to 545. Alk is at 7.2 now. Was 6.2. Slowly working on that did half a dose today of Alk. Let’s see what that does.
That’s interesting!
@Lasse any thoughts on how this would happen? That’s a fairly big jump.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I said! Saw that number and was bummed. Would the Red Sea reef energy coral nutrition affect that?
I wouldn’t think so. But it’s strange you say that, I started using that too around the same time of my mag spike. Hmmmm ;Bookworm

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does dosing Alk cause spikes in calcium?

Here’s a really great article by Randy Holmes Farley that can help you get a grasp on alkalinity and calcium relationships depending on values:

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not to promote a do nothing test nothing philosophy, but i've noticed a ton of euro/aussie reefers don't test magnesium and don't seem to worry about it.

i forget which one, but they're actually big on testing.. strontium? or potassium? one of those

i assume my tank just doesn't use much mag, but i've also been good about water changes lately and i use reef crystals which has some absurdly high amount of magnesium in it so plus i dose esv 2 part which hemmdog informs me has magnesium in it

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not to promote a do nothing test nothing philosophy, but i've noticed a ton of euro/aussie reefers don't test magnesium and don't seem to worry about it.

i forget which one, but they're actually big on testing.. strontium? or potassium? one of those

i assume my tank just doesn't use much mag, but i've also been good about water changes lately and i use reef crystals which has some absurdly high amount of magnesium in it so plus i dose esv 2 part which hemmdog informs me has magnesium in it
That’s a good point. They don’t seem to test for it usually. Strontium is important I wish I had a test for that. Potassium is super important to but that test is a pain to do. I should test that more often.

Yup the calcium component in esv 2 part has mag in it. I forget who said that on here, someone reputable, Randy or Lasse or someone who really knows chem.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good point. They don’t seem to test for it usually. Strontium is important I wish I had a test for that. Potassium is super important to but that test is a pain to do. I should test that more often.

Yup the calcium component in esv 2 part has mag in it. I forget who said that on here, someone reputable, Randy or Lasse or someone who really knows chem.

Could it have been this guy?

tv-breaking_bad-2008_2013-walter_white-bryan_cranston-accessories-s02e01-pork_pie_hat-595x335.jpg

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i dose the esv strontium, but i dont test for it. living life on the wild side!

jk, i dose like 1/4 the recommended amount once a week or something, it probably barely does anything.. but since i can't really test for it that's my plan. i'll update as my tank crashes

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, due to something unexpected, I had to get in today's run in an area I rarely visit. There I am, running along, minding my own business and BOOM! I come across this intersection. Although I've never seen "satan" spelled this way, they clearly had us in mind!

20190812_151944.jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, due to something unexpected, I had to get in today's run in an area I rarely visit. There I am, running along, minding my own business and BOOM! I come across this intersection. Although I've never seen "satan" spelled this way, they clearly had us in mind!

20190812_151944.jpg
Omg hahaha. We have some weird street names in Hong Kong. When the British colonized this place, I think they purposely gave odd street names for giggles.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg hahaha. We have some weird street names in Hong Kong. When the British colonized this place, I think they purposely gave odd street names for giggles.

I'm going to need some proof of said giggle inducing street names. :)

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to visit one day. Hong Kong seems sweet.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to need some proof of said giggle inducing street names. :)

There are some vulgar names that I won’t mention here as well. Some are romanized version of Chinese words and the F word is in countless street names... minus the C in the spelling.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to visit one day. Hong Kong seems sweet.
Bro. Right now there are protests in the streets and cops shooting tear gas. The protesters shut down the airport yesterday and they’re shutting it down again as we speak.

Back