OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bro. Right now there are protests in the streets and cops shooting tear gas. The protesters shut down the airport yesterday and they’re shutting it down again as we speak.
Oh wow! What are they protesting over? The dumb news here only seems to cover things about the president and make us seem like the only country with problems.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! What are they protesting over? The dumb news here only seems to cover things about the president and make us seem like the only country with problems.
I watch American news more than local news. Long story short: HK is separate from China. The local gvmt is trying to get a law through where China can extradite HK citizens to China. China awhile back kidnapped 3 journalists, critical of China. They try to kill a journalist in broad daylight. So they see this as a way for China to silence HK. Now it seems that the triads, HK police and the Chinese gvmt are working together to fight the local people. I’m a teacher and it’s summer vacation so I mostly just stay home and do nothing. That’s why I’m always on here. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watch American news more than local news. Long story short: HK is separate from China. The local gvmt is trying to get a law through where China can extradite HK citizens to China. China awhile back kidnapped 3 journalists, critical of China. They try to kill a journalist in broad daylight. So they see this as a way for China to silence HK. Now it seems that the triads, HK police and the Chinese gvmt are working together to fight the local people. I’m a teacher and it’s summer vacation so I mostly just stay home and do nothing. That’s why I’m always on here. :rolleyes:
Triads?! Goood lord! That sounds insane man! Stay safe. If I learned one thing in Grand Theft Auto III, it’s DO NOT mess with Triads!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triads?! Goood lord! That sounds insane man! Stay safe. If I learned one thing in Grand Theft Auto III, it’s DO NOT mess with Triads!
They cut off fingers here. Loan sharks basically. I saw a mom and a dad once. The dad was missing random fingers and the mom was missing a couple. ;Nailbiting;Dead

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They cut off fingers here. Loan sharks basically. I saw a mom and a dad once. The dad was missing random fingers and the mom was missing a couple. ;Nailbiting;Dead
What! Lol. I had no idea. I thought Hong Kong was like the Silicon Valley of Asia lol. This sounds more like Sierra Leone! Trumps not seeming so bad now after-all! :D

When that airport opens up you come home! I’m not loosing my reefing buddy to triads!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag precipitate makes these brown flakes, It rarely happens in tanks, usually in mixing barrels with Red Sea coral pro ;) .
I’ve hypothesized rocks can absorb mag. I had a mystery mag spike last month from 1380(6 months stable) shot up to 1500, it’s slowly coming back down naturally(1440 now).
That’s what happened to me the other day and mines now at 1440 too. Calcium shot up from 447 to 545. Alk is at 7.2 now. Was 6.2. Slowly working on that did half a dose today of Alk. Let’s see what that does.
That’s what I said! Saw that number and was bummed. Would the Red Sea reef energy coral nutrition affect that?

not to promote a do nothing test nothing philosophy, but i've noticed a ton of euro/aussie reefers don't test magnesium and don't seem to worry about it.

After the first month of a new aquarium (with new sand and stones) magnesium will normally be very stable. However in a new aquarium magnesium precipitate together with carbonate forming a crystal matrix on the sand and stones. This matrix is very important because it hinder to much of the calcium to precipitate as calcium carbonate. A consumption of magnesium from the water is therefore often connected to unexpected consumption of calcium. At least here in Sweden there is a tradition to not worry about the magnesium levels if the consumption of calcium is normal. However - if these compounds will precipitate - it is together with carbonate (forming magnesium/calcium carbonate) or some other negative charged ions (like phosphate). This precipitation is normally pH depended - precipitation when pH is higher and the opposite in lower pH. In your cases - I would try to check the pH and/or check the concentrations in morning (before light goes on) and in the evening (in full light). I do not know what Red Sea Reef Energy content - that´s the problem with this type of compounds - I fully agree with @Sallstrom here

i forget which one, but they're actually big on testing.. strontium? or potassium? one of those

i assume my tank just doesn't use much mag, but i've also been good about water changes lately and i use reef crystals which has some absurdly high amount of magnesium in it so plus i dose esv 2 part which hemmdog informs me has magnesium in it
In Europe - it has been very popular to test potassium. It start when zeolite grow in popularity because one of the side effects was binding of K into the zeolite. Even macro algae consume K. However - IMO - potassium is a very dangerous chemical to experiment with. IMO - even concentrations around 550 and over could cause fish death. Observe - it is my own experiences - I have no scientific sources to back it up. I do use KNO3 and I do ICP tests every third month. But I will never dose potassium without knowing the levels and sometimes use NaNO3 When I lose a lot of fish and CUC members I had dose a combination mixture and had K levels around 600 - however - my corals had never looked better in that tank. The stall of growth in my present aquarium can be caused of lack of K but I will not dose any K before I get my Triton test back (K = potassium)

To the main question - spikes in Mg and Ca - check your test routine; check your dosing equipment and check your pH - especially just before lights turn on!

Sincerely Lasse

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What! Lol. I had no idea. I thought Hong Kong was like the Silicon Valley of Asia lol. This sounds more like Sierra Leone! Trumps not seeming so bad now after-all! :D

When that airport opens up you come home! I’m not loosing my reefing buddy to triads!
How am I going to sneak my corals back? I have a few pieces I wouldn’t mind losing but some of them can’t go :eek: But the politics in the US is something I’ve never seen before. From the outside looking in, it looks like everyone is at war.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone recommend the best CUC for eating uneaten frozen? I have lots of snails, pair of cleaner shrimp, marble shrimp. When I wake up in the morning, there’s still some leftovers that the fish didn’t get to.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How am I going to sneak my corals back? I have a few pieces I wouldn’t mind losing but some of them can’t go :eek: But the politics in the US is something I’ve never seen before. From the outside looking in, it looks like everyone is at war.
wait until 2021 if you are planning to come, 2020 will be crazy

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone recommend the best CUC for eating uneaten frozen? I have lots of snails, pair of cleaner shrimp, marble shrimp. When I wake up in the morning, there’s still some leftovers that the fish didn’t get to.
Crabs, like hermits.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speak of leaving Hong Kong.... at that very moment, the mail man knocks on my door and I have to sign for something. It’s a $HK 4000 check. About $515 USD. I’m staying. ;Hilarious The timing is unreal. They are watching me;Peeking

9C71F83C-EDAD-4ED0-806B-866D05E396B9.jpeg

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the first month of a new aquarium (with new sand and stones) magnesium will normally be very stable. However in a new aquarium magnesium precipitate together with carbonate forming a crystal matrix on the sand and stones. This matrix is very important because it hinder to much of the calcium to precipitate as calcium carbonate. A consumption of magnesium from the water is therefore often connected to unexpected consumption of calcium. At least here in Sweden there is a tradition to not worry about the magnesium levels if the consumption of calcium is normal. However - if these compounds will precipitate - it is together with carbonate (forming magnesium/calcium carbonate) or some other negative charged ions (like phosphate). This precipitation is normally pH depended - precipitation when pH is higher and the opposite in lower pH. In your cases - I would try to check the pH and/or check the concentrations in morning (before light goes on) and in the evening (in full light). I do not know what Red Sea Reef Energy content - that´s the problem with this type of compounds - I fully agree with @Sallstrom here

In Europe - it has been very popular to test potassium. It start when zeolite grow in popularity because one of the side effects was binding of K into the zeolite. Even macro algae consume K. However - IMO - potassium is a very dangerous chemical to experiment with. IMO - even concentrations around 550 and over could cause fish death. Observe - it is my own experiences - I have no scientific sources to back it up. I do use KNO3 and I do ICP tests every third month. But I will never dose potassium without knowing the levels and sometimes use NaNO3 When I lose a lot of fish and CUC members I had dose a combination mixture and had K levels around 600 - however - my corals had never looked better in that tank. The stall of growth in my present aquarium can be caused of lack of K but I will not dose any K before I get my Triton test back (K = potassium)

To the main question - spikes in Mg and Ca - check your test routine; check your dosing equipment and check your pH - especially just before lights turn on!

Sincerely Lasse
Thank you for the very well detailed response.
So in a morning pH test, would I be looking for an abnormally high pH? High pH causes precipitation your saying, correct?
Does an imbalance in your alk, cal, mag levels also cause precipitation or is it specifically result of elevated pH?
Also what constitutes “to high” of pH in your opinion?
Thank you again for your time. :)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate them but... bristleworms are the pros for this job.
Right! Of course. Best method of all. My status used to say "loves hermit crabs and bristleworms" LOL!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate them but... bristleworms are the pros for this job.
I’ve noticed since going BB, I have less of the good stuff like bristleworms, spaghetti and all the sand dwellers.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right! Of course. Best method of all. My status used to say "loves hermit crabs and bristleworms" LOL!
Sure it’s not “loves hermit crabs, bristleworms and bobbits”? :D

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed since going BB, I have less of the good stuff like bristleworms, spaghetti and all the sand dwellers.
That’s a good point. My 40b (BB) barely has any either.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 55 49.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 61 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.1%
Back