ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good point. My 40b (BB) barely has any either.
Do you like sand or bare better? I like the look of sand but if I could have an acan forest on my bottom like you, I’d be happy :p

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never have sand, but I get the aesthetic. I have some huge bristles in my rock having bare bottom.
I love what the bottom of the ocean looks like: the bottom is rock, coral, sponges, tunicates, etc. just so much more beautiful.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love what the bottom of the ocean looks like: the bottom is rock, coral, sponges, tunicates, etc. just so much more beautiful.
I have never dived or snorkeled and said, “oooooh, look at the sand!” ;Hilarious

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never dived or snorkeled and said, “oooooh, look at the sand!” ;Hilarious
Come to think about it, when I see a large area of sand when diving, I swim away from it because there’s nothing there.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come to think about it, when I see a large area of sand when diving, I swim away from it because there’s nothing there.
We are usually looking at the top of the reef or the walls. My system is small, and I wanted it to feel like a plateau.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you like sand or bare better? I like the look of sand but if I could have an acan forest on my bottom like you, I’d be happy :p
Ohh that’s a hard one. I’m not sure, they both have huge pros that are very different from each other. In my sand tank I def have a lot more pods and a more “living” ecosystem type thing going on. The bare bottom gets better flow, super easy to clean, much easier to move stuff around and experiment with stuff without disturbing the balance of the tank.
If I move a rock in my 90 things look mad for days. It really doesn’t like to be messed with. I’m terrified for my big rescape I keep talking about.

One day when I have money to burn and a house that needs big things in it, my 800gal reef will most likely have sand. Just because it looks more natural I suppose. More for other people’s viewing other than my own I guess.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should look for low pH - low pH release Ca and Mg from the gravel - high pH precipitate Ca and Mg as calcium/magnesium carbonate/phosphate. IMO - below 7.8 - 8 rise the release factor and over 8 rise the precipitation factor. Low pH can be caused by high CO2 in the room - high CO2 in the room - many people or/and tight buildings

Sincerely Lasse

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are usually looking at the top of the reef or the walls. My system is small, and I wanted it to feel like a plateau.
That’s a cool idea!!! My idea for my tank is to get as much biodiversity in it as possible. Adding ocean water and rock. I find neat things from time to time. Some only come at at night. Some are in the sump. But none eat the leftover fish food. :mad:

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh that’s a hard one. I’m not sure, they both have huge pros that are very different from each other. In my sand tank I def have a lot more pods and a more “living” ecosystem type thing going on. The bare bottom gets better flow, super easy to clean, much easier to move stuff around and experiment with stuff without disturbing the balance of the tank.
If I move a rock in my 90 things look mad for days. It really doesn’t like to be messed with. I’m terrified for my big rescape I keep talking about.

One day when I have money to burn and a house that needs big things in it, my 800gal reef will most likely have sand. Just because it looks more natural I suppose. More for other people’s viewing other than my own I guess.
And how much will it cost to stock an 800g? :eek:

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should look for low pH - low pH release Ca and Mg from the gravel - high pH precipitate Ca and Mg as calcium/magnesium carbonate/phosphate. IMO - below 7.8 - 8 rise the release factor and over 8 rise the precipitation factor. Low pH can be caused by high CO2 in the room - high CO2 in the room - many people or/and tight buildings

Sincerely Lasse
Thank you very much! I will look into my pH. I never test it.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no green chromis’ or green slimer’s in this frantasy boys lol.

Crosshatch pair for sure
Rhomboid
Shoal of gold rim hybrid tangs

It’s gonna be great..

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw. Here is a strange bristleworm I found on my filter pad. Only seen one and only once. I’d like to get him in my display. Around 4” long or so.

3E7F282D-B622-441D-AD99-A75E3DB3CC8F.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no green chromis’ or green slimer’s in this frantasy boys lol.

Crosshatch pair for sure
Rhomboid
Shoal of gold rim hybrid tangs

It’s gonna be great..
Gotta have triggers! Clown triggers are so beautiful.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess about $4-5,000 US if the rock was live.
Maybe even more. I payed a small fortune for my original live rock live from Fiji that was in my biocube now 40b. I think it was $400 for like 35 pounds lol.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back