mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look who’s starting to look like a euphyllia!
1ED861B9-A8DC-4AA4-B88A-172DED9DEC95.jpeg

8B2DB4A6-FC5E-4807-BA47-026E99B4181D.jpeg

6D7700BE-316A-4B99-8118-6008F60A8B48.jpeg

that thing is awesome dude

i'll have you know, i tinkered with my flow last weekend and my frogspawn and hammer seem happier. i moved my gyre over a bit and pointed it right at all my sps so the flow doesn't have clear line of sight to the other side to blast the lps lol. although now my torch garden is getting nailed by flow, but they seem to like it. they're kinky

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that thing is awesome dude

i'll have you know, i tinkered with my flow last weekend and my frogspawn and hammer seem happier. i moved my gyre over a bit and pointed it right at all my sps so the flow doesn't have clear line of sight to the other side to blast the lps lol. although now my torch garden is getting nailed by flow, but they seem to like it. they're kinky
That’s great news! My acans like it rough too ;)

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask all the questions! lol. I like helping. The 90 I dose alk and cal on a doser. Manual dose the aminos and traces.
My 40b I manual dose everything. I’ll need to get a doser for that tank before I take any semi long vacations again though.
The 40b gets alk morning and mid day, cal once every three days. The 90 doser gets its ml’s desired split into 12 doses throughout the day.
The 90 uses tropic marin pro
The 40 uses Red Sea coral pro
Wow, that’s a lot of dosing. Ill definitely need to get a doser before I start getting into sps then. Im not always home on the weekends and don’t have anyone to dose for me. I should probably get an apex so it’s less stress on me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that’s a lot of dosing. Ill definitely need to get a doser before I start getting into sps then. Im not always home on the weekends and don’t have anyone to dose fore me. I should probably get an apex so it’s less stress on me.
Yea a doser is pretty important if your not going to be home daily, especially with sps. I still haven’t found a need for an apex yet. I would however die for a mindstream.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I added some tunes to the video for @crusso1993 . Water sounds make him angry!

This is not true. I enjoy the sound of water. However, in videos, I enjoy the sound of music more! :p

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking your gyres? Dsc reef said his icecaps 3k work well with biweekly maintenance
They are alright. Really good for surface agitation. I don’t like the flow pattern they make in the tank alone though. At least not for sps. They are great for lps.
I plan on adding 2 mp40’s to my existing gyres. I think that will give me the powerful chaotic flow I’m looking for. Then I’ll put my mp10 on the back wall for some cross flow.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not true. I enjoy the sound of water. However, in videos, I enjoy the sound of music more! :p
My videos have weird background noise. Never really thought to add music. Although it seems everyone does.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are alright. Really good for surface agitation. I don’t like the flow pattern they make in the tank alone though. At least not for sps. They are great for lps.
I plan on adding 2 mp40’s to my existing gyres. I think that will give me the powerful chaotic flow I’m looking for. Then I’ll put my mp10 on the back wall for some cross flow.
I like that you can program the MP40’s to work in sync with each other to create random flow.

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks cool! Is there a downside to them or why don’t many people have them?

I believe file fish are known to nip at corals which is why a lot of people don’t have them. I’ve been dying to have an orange spotted one but don’t have one for this reason. Shame because they’re so fun to watch...I’ll probably cave when my corals are big enough for it to not worry me to be honest lol.

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that you can program the MP40’s to work in sync with each other to create random flow.
Wow, that’s pretty cool!

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. The maxspect gyres do that to but I’m pretty sure ecotech does it better.. lol. The maxspect controller isn’t very user friendly either. Every time I use it I feel like I’m in that movie with that toothy girl from Mystic Pizza, where she somehow gets mixed up on a emergency escape Russian spaceship and looks at the controls and it’s all in Russian and she knows she’s screwed. That’s how it feels trying to make a good wave with maxspect’s.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe file fish are known to nip at corals which is why a lot of people don’t have them. I’ve been dying to have an orange spotted one but don’t have one for this reason. Shame because they’re so fun to watch...I’ll probably cave when my corals are big enough for it to not worry me to be honest lol.
Tile fish or file fish? Or both? Lol

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tile fish or file fish? Or both? Lol
In all honesty, as crazy as it sounds, I wouldn’t be surprised if a clown nipped at SPS. Mine always nipped at my euphyllia. Those things have a mind of their own.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty, as crazy as it sounds, I wouldn’t be surprised if a clown nipped at SPS. Mine always nipped at my euphyllia. Those things have a mind of their own.
This is true lol. Clowns really are so territorial. I liked mine, I miss him, but things are much more tranquil without him chasing everyone around. I haven’t seen them bite sps, but I wouldn’t put it past them. I’d take any fish over that goldhead sleeper goby I had, that guy was a fricken nightmare with his sand crop dusting. He’d bury my acan garden multiple times a day. I was constantly in the tank with my turkey baster cleaning corals off. I’d take a dang stingray over another one of those sons of b’s.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is true lol. Clowns really are so territorial. I liked mine, I miss him, but things are much more tranquil without him chasing everyone around. I haven’t seen them bite sps, but I wouldn’t put it past them. I’d take any fish over that goldhead sleeper goby I had, that guy was a fricken nightmare with his sand crop dusting. He’d bury my acan garden multiple times a day. I was constantly in the tank with my turkey baster cleaning corals off. I’d take a dang stingray over another one of those sons of b’s.
I hear ya. I love clowns. But they do have some erratic behavior. Unfortunately I need to take an orchid dottyback from a friend soon. His is in sump because of aggressiveness and he won’t set up a food timer there. So I agreed to take it to help spare his life. Great days ahead...

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya. I love clowns. But they do have some erratic behavior. Unfortunately I need to take an orchid dottyback from a friend soon. His is in sump because of aggressiveness and he won’t set up a food timer there. So I agreed to take it to help spare his life. Great days ahead...
Nicee! I use to have one, it disappeared randomly. They are neat though.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%

Back