OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really nice. Piranha and African cichlids? I did freshwater in between keeping SW. I get so bored with it and find myself salty again.
Thanks ! South American cichlids, Cardinal tetras and the gar. The piranha was in a species tank in college. I thought it was so cool. In hindsight the tank was very undersized and quite cruel :(
Yea fw gets boring fast.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ! South American cichlids, Cardinal tetras and the gar. The piranha was in a species tank in college. I thought it was so cool. In hindsight the tank was very undersized and quite cruel :(
Yea fw gets boring fast.
I was with my buddy checking out LFS this week. We saw a reef shark on its side in a 20g tank, struggling to breathe. I was so angry. Shark was about 2.5 feet in length. Sharks need to keep swimming to breathe. It was beyond torture. :mad:

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was with my buddy checking out LFS this week. We saw a reef shark on its side in a 20g tank, struggling to breathe. I was so angry. Shark was about 2.5 feet in length. Sharks need to keep swimming to breathe. It was beyond torture. :mad:
That’s so sad :(
I did eventually rehome Ronnie (the piranha), as far as I know he lived out the rest of his days, potentially still living in a 200gal system my buddy’s dad had/has in PA. That’s a pretty rare fish for that state to my knowledge. I got it on the black market.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s so sad :(
I did eventually rehome Ronnie (the piranha), as far as I know he lived out the rest of his days, potentially still living in a 200gal system my buddy’s dad had/has in PA. That’s a pretty rare fish for that state to my knowledge. I got it on the black market.
I always wanted one oddly and had never found one. Back then, you had to research that stuff in books at the library. So basically no one researched what fish they wanted to keep or kept. But you did the right thing.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys seen the White dots on torch thread? The guy took some amazing shots. But the tentacles look like hammer and torch mixed. I’m curious. I’ve never seen the hybrids in person.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys seen the White dots on torch thread? The guy took some amazing shots. But the tentacles look like hammer and torch mixed. I’m curious. I’ve never seen the hybrids in person.
That’s weird. Looks like a wall hammer kind of, but also torch-ish, with a dash of heliofungia. The specs I think are just pods. Mine have had those before I think?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s weird. Looks like a wall hammer kind of, but also torch-ish, with a dash of heliofungia. The specs I think are just pods. Mine have had those before I think?
Would need a better pic to determine if a wall hammer. All the wall hammers I’ve seen have those curled hammers. But I can see what you mean. If they were pods, wouldn’t they get stung and eaten? No idea. I’ve seen my corals sting my larger isopods. It’s so funny. They die in an instant.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would need a better pic to determine if a wall hammer. All the wall hammers I’ve seen have those curled hammers. But I can see what you mean. If they were pods, wouldn’t they get stung and eaten? No idea. I’ve seen my corals sting my larger isopods. It’s so funny. They die in an instant.
Really? lol nah I haven’t seen that. Sounds awesome lol. I really don’t know. I’ve seen those specs on mine before though. They went away. Not sure.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? lol nah I haven’t seen that. Sounds awesome lol. I really don’t know. I’ve seen those specs on mine before though. They went away. Not sure.
We’re keeping the ocean in our tanks. There are countless creatures out there. It’s like keeping a forest in your backyard and trying to identify all the tiny insects and worrying about what everything is. But of course, you’d rather know than not. I’m surprised at how sharp many ppl on this forum are.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re keeping the ocean in our tanks. There are countless creatures out there. It’s like keeping a forest in your backyard and trying to identify all the tiny insects and worrying about what everything is. But of course, you’d rather know than not. I’m surprised at how sharp many ppl on this forum are.
Same, I love it. You can really become well versed in reefing if you spend 6 months on here. A few hours a day. So much knowledge and decades of experiences, it’s so cool.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same, I love it. You can really become well versed in reefing if you spend 6 months on here. A few hours a day. So much knowledge and decades of experiences, it’s so cool.
I have to be honest, I learned more here in a month than I did in years of keeping SW tanks. I also learned a lot from local reefers and LFS as well. But the people here have the most collective knowledge than probably anywhere else on earth. I’m telling you, 20 years ago, this was the cockiest hobby. People thought that if they kept tangs and triggers alive in a FO system, they were the gods of the universe.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to be honest, I learned more here in a month than I did in years of keeping SW tanks. I also learned a lot from local reefers and LFS as well. But the people here have the most collective knowledge than probably anywhere else on earth. I’m telling you, 20 years ago, this was the cockiest hobby. People thought that if they kept tangs and triggers alive in a FO system, they were the gods of the universe.
LOL, in 1990 it felt pretty awesome to keep anemones alive.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want some of your input. I have a 20gal nano just sitting in storage. It’s an AIO and I was thinking about starting a budget build and post it on r2r. Just to show how easy and cheaply it can be done. But I was thinking about using rainbow substrate. Plastic corals. Maybe a spongebob pineapple house. And then throw 2 clowns in it and call it a day. Any thoughts?
Why not? Perfect segway to Reefing for kids!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh yea... was that the plywood build?
I also haven’t seen the guy who made the 1000+ gal tank in his garage. It was leaking like a month in and he dropped off the grid. Dumped a fortune into that tank it seemed.
I hate to see anyone fail. We all fail in varying degrees. I just wish everyone would dust off their britches and go for it.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a tigger pod get trapped in the polyp of a cyphastrea once... it was kinda morbid, watching it struggle with all its might to try to swim out, but it got devoured in the end

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid snail!
9EA5A88C-854E-4526-85DD-0BB010C9950A.jpeg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea... was that the plywood build?
I also haven’t seen the guy who made the 1000+ gal tank in his garage. It was leaking like a month in and he dropped off the grid. Dumped a fortune into that tank it seemed.

You talking about the guy with the "look down" tank on his garage floor where his sump leaked?

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You talking about the guy with the "look down" tank on his garage floor where his sump leaked?
Yea. Did he figure out that issue ? I haven’t seen that thread pop up in awhile.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back