OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andrew is planning one of those angels in our new tank. What kind of temperament does yours have?
He’s fairly aggressive with other fish and occasionally will eat lps heads, mainly acans and euphyllia. I’m actually looking to rehome him if I find someone interested in one. Beautiful fish but not the best for a reef tank imo. I wish they were better behaved :(

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He’s fairly aggressive with other fish and occasionally will eat lps heads, mainly acans and euphyllia. I’m actually looking to rehome him if I find someone interested in one. Beautiful fish but not the best for a reef tank imo. I wish they were better behaved :(
You think a coral beauty is any better?

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think a coral beauty is any better?

We have 3 Coral Beauties in different tanks and they all seem well behaved.

If you are looking to re-home it, let me know. We always have room.
Cheers! Mark

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing a fair amount of research lately and I think I’m going to switch to the zeovit method in my 90.
I’ve been spending a fortune on Red Sea reef energy a&b bottles & abcd trace elements, it’s adding up to hundreds of dollars in less than a year. I did the math and the zeovit aminos and approach would end up being cheaper than the Red Sea program even though the upfront cost of the bottles will be high. The dosage is so much smaller than red seas, so the kz product lasts you much much longer. I’ve heard great things from several people on here about the remarkable growth and coloration while doing zeo, I really hope it works with my tank and makes my corals grow like crazy!
I also like being very hands-on with my reef and I think this method would keep me entertained in my downtime while at home, allowing me to be more in-tune with my reef.
I’m not positive yet if I’m going to ditch my fuge and get a automatic zeo reactor and zeo rocks, or do a hybrid method without zeo rocks, such as @ycnibrc . With this approach you dose several bacteria, a few aminos, a couple coral foods, some color additives(trace elements). You dose all these daily is my understanding.
Your nutrient stays a little higher at 10 NO3 and 0.08-.1 PO4, yet still yields the remarkable growth and pristine water quality.
Excited to try something new!

So far I have
Kz Coral Vitalizer
Kz Amino Acid concentrate
Kz Coral Snow
Kz Coral System (trace elements) see picture below

9A79120C-A20D-4E9A-9ADD-F251E2F9E921.jpeg

I still need to order

Kz ZEObak
Kz ZEOstart
Maybe Kz Pohl’s Xtra

Any advice is appreciated!

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been doing a fair amount of research lately and I think I’m going to switch to the zeovit method in my 90.
I’ve been spending a fortune on Red Sea reef energy a&b bottles & abcd trace elements, it’s adding up to hundreds of dollars in less than a year. I did the math and the zeovit aminos and approach would end up being cheaper than the Red Sea program even though the upfront cost of the bottles will be high. The dosage is so much smaller than red seas, so the kz product lasts you much much longer. I’ve heard great things from several people on here about the remarkable growth and coloration while doing zeo, I really hope it works with my tank and makes my corals grow like crazy!
I also like being very hands-on with my reef and I think this method would keep me entertained in my downtime while at home, allowing me to be more in-tune with my reef.
I’m not positive yet if I’m going to ditch my fuge and get a automatic zeo reactor and zeo rocks, or do a hybrid method without zeo rocks, such as @ycnibrc . With this approach you dose several bacteria, a few aminos, a couple coral foods, some color additives(trace elements). You dose all these daily is my understanding.
Your nutrient stays a little higher at 10 NO3 and 0.08-.1 PO4, yet still yields the remarkable growth and pristine water quality.

So far I have
Kz Coral Vitalizer
Kz Coral Snow

I still need to order

Kz ZEObak
Kz ZEOstart
Maybe Kz Pohl’s Xtra

If your tank is already running then start zeobak , zeostart3 and sponge power for 6 months. This will build up your bacteria diversity. If you already have corals then you can start Coral vitalizer and amino. Coral snow only do once a week. The Coral system u can start after 3 months. Instead of pho extra get Flatworm stop it's much better for your tank.
The key is to build up your bacteria and your water chemistry first then u can add the additive and trace elements. Make sure dose 50% For 3 months then increase 10% each month after until full dose. Write down a log of how much u dose and what's the tank look like so u can go back and adjust dosage later.

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As far as your fuge I advise you remove it since soon your nutrients will be low and u will have problem with nutrients because both bacteria and algae will consume nitrate. Your goal is to replicate the reef environment in the ocean and I'm sure the corals in the ocean don't live with chaeto or algae.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is already running then start zeobak , zeostart3 and sponge power for 6 months. This will build up your bacteria diversity. If you already have corals then you can start Coral vitalizer and amino. Coral snow only do once a week. The Coral system u can start after 3 months. Instead of pho extra get Flatworm stop it's much better for your tank.
The key is to build up your bacteria and your water chemistry first then u can add the additive and trace elements. Make sure dose 50% For 3 months then increase 10% each month after until full dose. Write down a log of how much u dose and what's the tank look like so u can go back and adjust dosage later.
As far as your fuge I advise you remove it since soon your nutrients will be low and u will have problem with nutrients because both bacteria and algae will consume nitrate. Your goal is to replicate the reef environment in the ocean and I'm sure the corals in the ocean don't live with chaeto or algae.
Awesome, thank you for that insight! I should be starting early next week once all the KZ products get here. So instead of Pohl’s extra get flatworm stop? Do I need to get coral booster if I do flatworm stop? On brs it says they work well together, but I’m not sure what coral booster does different from the amino concentrate and coral vitalizer.

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome, thank you for that insight! I should be starting early next week once all the KZ products get here. So instead of Pohl’s extra get flatworm stop? Do I need to get coral booster if I do flatworm stop? On brs it says they work well together, but I’m not sure what coral booster does different from the amino concentrate and coral vitalizer.
Flatworm stop is fine u dont need coral booster.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flatworm stop is fine u dont need coral booster.
Ok perfect.

For the actual zeo rocks, do I need them and would I need a zeo reactor? Or is the bacteria & aminos enough to have zeovit results? Is this still the zeovit method without using the crystals? Lots of questions, haha, sorry!

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok perfect.

For the actual zeo rocks, do I need them and would I need a zeo reactor? Or is the bacteria & aminos enough to have zeovit results? Is this still the zeovit method without using the crystals? Lots of questions, haha, sorry!
I run zeovit without rock the first year and I have good result. U can always add it later if you want to.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run zeovit without rock the first year and I have good result. U can always add it later if you want to.
Awesome! Thank you again!

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question, should I be running carbon in a media bag or anything? As of now I just have an oversized skimmer and fuge. No socks, no carbon, no GFO. Nutrients are at 25 NO3 , 0.08 PO4.
But for zeovit, do people run carbon 24/7 in a media bag/reactor, or would that break down the helpful additives you are dosing the tank?

Also, does time of day when dosing the zeo additives effect the outcome? What do you recommend? Do you do them all at once, spaced out one per hour or so, just curious what is the best practice.

Last edited:

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So far I have
Kz Coral Vitalizer
Kz Coral Snow

I still need to order

Kz ZEObak
Kz ZEOstart
Maybe Kz Pohl’s Xtra

Good luck man! Have seen some amazing zeo reefs, will be cool to watch. I do all RS as well and am becoming intrigued by other methods. Cheers!

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck man! Have seen some amazing zeo reefs, will be cool to watch. I do all RS as well and am becoming intrigued by other methods. Cheers!
Thank you! I had good results on the RS stuff, just looking for a change and possibly even better results.

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One more question, should I be running carbon in a media bag or anything? As of now I just have an oversized skimmer and fuge. No socks, no carbon, no GFO. Nutrients are at 25 NO3 , 0.08 PO4.
But for zeovit, do people run carbon 24/7 in a media bag/reactor, or would that break down the helpful additives you are dosing the tank?

Also, does time of day when dosing the zeo additives effect the outcome? What do you recommend? Do you do them all at once, spaced out one per hour or so, just curious what is the best practice.
Carbon is good. If you have a reactor is better and more efficient. I usually dose the bacteria in the morning and Coral food at night. Trace elements u can dose anytime.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon is good. If you have a reactor is better and more efficient. I usually dose the bacteria in the morning and Coral food at night. Trace elements u can dose anytime.
Ok great. No zeofood ? Even though it’s one of the big 4?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back