cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! The other one does seem to be doing good. The carpenters wrasse is becoming more accepting of a new wrasse in the mix. I’m bummed though that I only have one lubbocks now, I really wanted to have a male and female, maybe I will get an acclimation box and try to get another pre qt’d juvi lubbocks before this one transitions.

I have tried to keep pairs of fairy wrasses in the past and have had some success keeping multiples of the same species on a few occasions, but even when successful almost every single time I ended up with 2 males. I would suggest getting another species of fairy or flasher wrasse and having males of multiple species in the tank. The female/juvis will still transition to male even without another of the same species 95% of the time.

Whatever you decide to do, welcome to the wrasse addiction. It bites hard and it doesn’t let go.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yep. Even five nitrate was considered high haha. My coral seems super happy though!
I still have my fuge online but the macro isn’t growing well anymore, maybe the algae is melting and reintroducing some of those locked-up nutrients. It makes no sense how my numbers are this high. The bone dry zeo tanks I assume also are running the crystals and the reactor. Maybe that’s more important that I originally thought.
The zeolites are supposed to directly remove ammonia, so nitrate can’t rise because the ammonia isn’t actually going through the nitrogen cycle. My nutrients were stable at 10 and 0.06 before I started this so I didn’t see a reason to lower them further. The zeo additives and macro algae no longer growing, must be adding tons of nutrients.
I’m not sure what I should do to be honest. Open to opinions. Remove fuge & get zeo reactor, let it ride and monitor, dose more ZEOstart, other options?
If you’re getting growth and have good coloration, I don’t see a need for change. Sometimes too much tinkering and chasing numbers gets you in trouble. Even if your fuge isn’t helping with nutrients, I’m sure it’s helping you keep pods. When I took my fuge offline, I lost all my pods.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried to keep pairs of fairy wrasses in the past and have had some success keeping multiples of the same species on a few occasions, but even when successful almost every single time I ended up with 2 males. I would suggest getting another species of fairy or flasher wrasse and having males of multiple species in the tank. The female/juvis will still transition to male even without another of the same species 95% of the time.

Whatever you decide to do, welcome to the wrasse addiction. It bites hard and it doesn’t let go.
Lol that is very true, I love wrasses. My favorite is still my moyers supermale, such a beautiful fish, impossible to take picture of, he’s terrified of people.
With the lubbocks, the reason I wanted a pair was because I mainly like the female coloration, with them usually all turning male I wouldn’t get to experience those colors indefinitely. Males are good looking too, but that female color.. wow. So nice.
I still want to get a rhomboid at some point too. I’m hooked, lol.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re getting growth and have good coloration, I don’t see a need for change. Sometimes too much tinkering and chasing numbers gets you in trouble. Even if your fuge isn’t helping with nutrients, I’m sure it’s helping you keep pods. When I took my fuge offline, I lost all my pods.
Very true!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yep. Even five nitrate was considered high haha. My coral seems super happy though!
I still have my fuge online but the macro isn’t growing well anymore, maybe the algae is melting and reintroducing some of those locked-up nutrients. It makes no sense how my numbers are this high. The bone dry zeo tanks I assume also are running the crystals and the reactor. Maybe that’s more important that I originally thought.
The zeolites are supposed to directly remove ammonia, so nitrate can’t rise because the ammonia isn’t actually going through the nitrogen cycle. My nutrients were stable at 10 and 0.06 before I started this so I didn’t see a reason to lower them further. The zeo additives and macro algae no longer growing, must be adding tons of nutrients.
I’m not sure what I should do to be honest. Open to opinions. Remove fuge & get zeo reactor, let it ride and monitor, dose more ZEOstart, other options?

As you know, a lot of changes, all at once, are generally not a good thing. That being said, I'd add the reactor and leave everything else alone. I think you already knew this though... ;)

Are you going to follow any set schedule for Zeolite replacement?

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you know, a lot of changes, all at once, are generally not a good thing. That being said, I'd add the reactor and leave everything else alone. I think you already knew this though... ;)

Are you going to follow any set schedule for Zeolite replacement?
True true. It would go where my fuge is, so I’d have to take that offline at the same time I add the reactor. I think I’d switch them out every six weeks like recommended. I just don’t want to kill anything :( especially my single polyp homewrecker. lol

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The twins tested 0.05 phos and 100 nitrates yesterday if that makes you feel any better! ;)
Wow! That is high! I’ve never hit 100 NO3 before, Impressive!

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you all believe every seller of skimz auto zeo reactors are sold out! Zeo is making a come back! Dang!
I made a want to buy thread... haha, if anyone knows anyone who has one, let me know!
B1185AE4-99D9-472B-BEEA-1F31235BD6D1.jpeg

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh there is people on here tonight,whats up guys
Lol hey there. Not much. Scouring sketchy aquarium supply websites for zeovit reactors... how about you? Lol

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you all believe every seller of skimz auto zeo reactors are sold out! Zeo is making a come back! Dang!
I made a want to buy thread... haha, if anyone knows anyone who has one, let me know!
B1185AE4-99D9-472B-BEEA-1F31235BD6D1.jpeg
Probably a slightly tougher DIY project but could be done. I’ll keep my eyes open. Could you do bio pellets in lieu of zeolith?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol hey there. Not much. Scouring sketchy aquarium supply websites for zeovit reactors... how about you? Lol
I was just watching Melev’s reef on YouTube. He was talking about a thread here on R2R and kind of bashed the person. No idea which thread it is. But it’s funny, the whole feeding community is watching everyone here.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just poking around the site can't sleep ,anxiety,picking up half my tanks fri ,and the new 500 fri morn ,have not been able to sleep much lately

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Posting to a sketchy thread on R2R right now... ;Hilarious

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a slightly tougher DIY project but could be done. I’ll keep my eyes open. Could you do bio pellets in lieu of zeolith?
Yeah too tricky for me to diy. Not a fan of biopellets, I’ll either get lucky and find this reactor I’m looking for, wait awhile for brs to get it back in stock, get frustrated with waiting and order a manual one like bubbleMagnus or AquaMaxx zeo reactors.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just poking around the site can't sleep ,anxiety,picking up half my tanks fri ,and the new 500 fri morn ,have not been able to sleep much lately
Same here man! I can’t sleep at all lately. You came to the right thread my friend.

Back