OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dreading posting this for a few weeks now. The owner of my condo is liquidating some assets, my home being one of them. Due to excessively high rents in Silicon Valley, my options for a new place have been limited, especially with having two cats. None of the new places my wife and I looked at allow tanks over 50 pounds, some 25 pounds, most didn’t allow them at all. My wife found a new condo that she really loves so we signed a lease for there; unfortunatly they don’t allow tanks.
I’ve been devastated and really depressed about giving up all my precious corals and fish but I really don’t have much of an option. I’ve sold off a few corals in the past week and I have to admit it makes me really sad when I bag these guys up; so many memories over the years watching them grow from laughable sized frags into impressive colonies and color up beautifully. I can’t imagine the hours I have put into these tanks. I really maintained them on what I would consider a professional level, feeding 5x daily, testing parameters daily, Zeovit dosing, target feeding coral, observing each and every coral throughout the day and see if any look unhappy long term then move them or adjust something in the tank accordingly, so many other things.
This website made my tank what it is. I just read and asked questions, listened to many different people with different methodologies and made my own that worked really well for me. These tanks were good trial runs for my dream tank. I know what I want to do and how to do it now. I made a lot of mistakes and foolish purchases on these that I will know to avoid for the next build. I’m not leaving the hobby, I just won’t have a tank for the next 12 months. Hopefully my life will be in a different place and we will be in a permanent home. Then the dream tank planning and construction begins :)
I sincerely thank each and every one of you who has liked, commented, read this thread and journey. You all are why I kept posting, became super active on reef2reef, and kept learning and sharing my experiences. This whole thread is a treasure trove of knowledge posted by others and occasionally me. If any new reefers are reading this, skim through this thread sometime, you might learn something useful or be able to avoid one of the many mistakes I’ve made along the way.

I’ll post about the break down of the tank as well. Like an alpha omega type deal for the whole thread. Seems kind of like a cool way to look back on my past build.

If anyone lives in the bay, please help me out and buy some coral, I have to be out of here by September. I’m selling it way under value to move stuff fast. My fish need homes too. I also really need someone to take my complete vivarium setup with the dart frogs, also my leopard gecko Gucci. Leopard gecko is free, vivarium pm me, much less than I paid for it all by far.

Like I said, I’m not leaving the hobby, I’ll still be on here helping where I can and sharing experiences and of course learning more great knowledge! The Facebook mod thing has also become sort of a full time volunteer situation on Reef2Reef’s group; so that’s a good way to get ahold of me as I’m on there a lot of the day laying down the law ;) and denying the millions of bots that request to join the group.

Thank you all again for following my journey.

-Chris

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dreading posting this for a few weeks now. The owner of my condo is liquidating some assets, my home being one of them. Due to excessively high rents in Silicon Valley, my options for a new place have been limited, especially with having two cats. None of the new places my wife and I looked at allow tanks offer 50 pounds, some 25 pounds, most didn’t allow them at all. My wife found a new condo that she really loves so we signed a lease for there; unfortunatly they don’t allow tanks.
I’ve been devastated and really depressed about giving up all my precious corals and fish but I really don’t have much of an option. I’ve sold off a few corals in the past week and I have to admit it makes me really sad when I bag these guys up; so many memories over the years watching them grow from laughable sized frags into impressive colonies and color up beautifully. I can’t imagine the hours I have put into these tanks. I really maintained them on what I would consider a professional level, feeding 5x daily, testing parameters daily, Zeovit dosing, target feeding coral, observing each and every coral throughout the day and see if any look unhappy long term then move them or adjust something in the tank accordingly, so many other things.
This website made my tank what it is. I just read and asked questions, listened to many different people with different methodologies and made my own that worked really well for me. These tanks were good trial runs for my dream tank. I know what I want to do and how to do it now. I made a lot of mistakes and foolish purchases on these that I will know to avoid for the next build. I’m not leaving the hobby, I just won’t have a tank for the next 12 months. Hopefully my life will be in a different place and we will be in a permanent home. Then the dream tank planning and construction begins :)
I sincerely thank each and every one of you who has liked, commented, read this thread and journey. You all are why I kept posting, became super active on reef2reef, and kept learning and sharing my experiences. This whole thread is a treasure trove of knowledge posted by others and occasionally me. If any new reefers are reading this, skim through this thread sometime, you might learn something useful or be able to avoid one of the many mistakes I’ve made along the way.

I’ll post about the break down of the tank as well. Like an alpha omega type deal for the whole thread. Seems kind of like a cool way to look back on my past build.

If anyone lives in the bay, please help me out and buy some coral, I have to be out of here by September. I’m selling it way under value to move stuff fast. My fish need homes too. I also really need someone to take my complete vivarium setup with the dart frogs, also my leopard gecko Gucci. Leopard gecko is free, vivarium pm me, much less than I paid for it all by far.

Like I said, I’m not leaving the hobby, I’ll still be on here helping where I can and sharing experiences and of course learning more great knowledge! The Facebook mod thing has also become sort of a full time volunteer situation on Reef2Reef’s group; so that’s a good way to get ahold of me as I’m on there a lot of the day laying down the law ;) and denying the millions of bots that request to join the group.

-Chris
Chris, that is a total bummer, but I know you will be back at it in no time!
XOXO

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wow ,life changes so fast,i have only known you for a short time,enjoyed yanking your chain,loved watching your tank,frogs ,grow,sorry to hear you have to part with,but hey life's next step! like you say in a year ,i'll be back drooling over your stuff again,bigger and better than before,take care,be safe ,best wishes,,and always welcome to drop by and yank my chain ;) peace brother:cool:

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.

I have a sale thread for my coral and fish. Bay Area people check it out, if you are a regular on my thread I’ll give you an even larger discount.

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.

I have a sale thread for my coral and fish. Bay Area people check it out, if you are a regular on my thread I’ll give you an even larger discount.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been dreading posting this for a few weeks now. The owner of my condo is liquidating some assets, my home being one of them. Due to excessively high rents in Silicon Valley, my options for a new place have been limited, especially with having two cats. None of the new places my wife and I looked at allow tanks over 50 pounds, some 25 pounds, most didn’t allow them at all. My wife found a new condo that she really loves so we signed a lease for there; unfortunatly they don’t allow tanks.

-Chris
I'm seeing a pico in your near future! ;)

Marlon C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah man I'm in Petaluma and would love to get some pieces and rent out here is ridiculous luckily in my apt 2bd I pay fairly cheap and it's a quiet area. Maybe consider a 10 gallon stashed in your closet up keep your clowns in. If you go that route I have a 10 gallon aio that I would gladly trade for a frag.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris I keep saying move away from that mess in the state of California but do you listen...nah!
Sorry for the turn of events. Soon the way things are going in CA you will be able to afford one of the many empty houses after the migration away from the state. Same thing going on in Seattle right now. Increase in people and businesses leaving cause they have had it with the political situation!

Wishing you better days ahead!

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been there a few times so I know the pain. I think breaking down the tank and dealing with the low ballers is the worst. Hopefully you'll get some money back to help with the move. Best of luck to you. I'll keep my eyes on your for sale thread.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back