OP
sfin52

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you? Most land based plants are not a good fit for fish food.
I was reading a couple of articles stating that its being used in farm raised fish. Look fish food manufacturers are using a ton of non marine food in thier mixes

Upvote 0

diverpat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish farms may be using it because it is a good alternative to other more expensive ingredients. When going through tons of feed on a commercial scale, manufacturers look for cost effective alternatives. It is also likely it is for omnivorous fish that may not need as much high quality protein (ie tilapia, catfish etc...). Most marine fish require a higher protein and essential amino acid level so meaty foods tend to be better.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see it providing any benefit to your tank inhabitants. It may add some fiber? ;Smuggrin Are you looking at a powder to mix with their food?
Was thinking about it
Fish farms may be using it because it is a good alternative to other more expensive ingredients. When going through tons of feed on a commercial scale, manufacturers look for cost effective alternatives. It is also likely it is for omnivorous fish that may not need as much high quality protein (ie tilapia, catfish etc...). Most marine fish require a higher protein and essential amino acid level so meaty foods tend to be better.
I understand that and use clams, muscles oysters, shrimp, fish eggs, flounder/ cod, freeze dried plankton, mysis and squid. I was thinking of my tang and foxface. Right now I feed nori.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to think of a lot of land based foods (sorghum, soy, wheat, etc.) as fillers and binders used in the fish food making process. What's the nutritional breakdown for hemp? How does it compare to that of seaweed?
Those are good questions

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see it providing any benefit to your tank inhabitants. It may add some fiber? ;Smuggrin Are you looking at a powder to mix with their food?
More poop for corals.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to think of a lot of land based foods (sorghum, soy, wheat, etc.) as fillers and binders used in the fish food making process. What's the nutritional breakdown for hemp? How does it compare to that of seaweed?

20201122_133537.jpg 20201122_133528.jpg Screenshot_20201122-133646_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some research showed algea being used as fertilizer for hemp. Nope smoking still be fired. I like my job
;Spiderman :cool: ...;)

Upvote 0

diverpat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If hemp has a significant protein source you can use it as a fish meal replacement in conjunction with other ingredients. I work in a lab where we have done a lot of research on sustainable fish meal alternatives in commercial marine finfish diets. There are a few plant based products that can help replace some of the fish meal but it starts negatively impacting the fish if you go too far. We’ve done a good amount of work with soybean and cotton seed meal and you can replace a significant amount of the fish meal with them. If hemp has similar nutritional qualities it may work also.
With that said, I wouldn’t feed my reef tank soybean or cottonseed products, they are not a complete diet, you’d have to add a lot of extra stuff. Marine algae’s have usually have much higher essential fatty acid profiles so they would be a better choice.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If hemp has a significant protein source you can use it as a fish meal replacement in conjunction with other ingredients. I work in a lab where we have done a lot of research on sustainable fish meal alternatives in commercial marine finfish diets. There are a few plant based products that can help replace some of the fish meal but it starts negatively impacting the fish if you go too far. We’ve done a good amount of work with soybean and cotton seed meal and you can replace a significant amount of the fish meal with them. If hemp has similar nutritional qualities it may work also.
With that said, I wouldn’t feed my reef tank soybean or cottonseed products, they are not a complete diet, you’d have to add a lot of extra stuff. Marine algae’s have usually have much higher essential fatty acid profiles so they would be a better choice.
Thank you. I appreciate it. Its being used in commercial fish farms to help control coasts and something other than fish meal for sustainable farming. I'll stick to feeding what I am.

Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%

Back