Heni in QT not looking or acting normal

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,
I have a group in QT that have done fine through 2 weeks of prazi and now are 19 days through a Copper Powder treatment.
The past few days my heni is looking a little rough, hiding a lot and rather listless. Please take a look and let me know what you think. They had flukes in the beginning and have not shown signed off ich or velvet. Perhaps the copper is getting to it? Thoughts?
I don’t want to shorten the copper treatment, but am tempted.
TIA
75FC4329-ED61-47CE-883F-5134B7B5E961.jpeg
D7C03987-CEC0-4133-BB4E-D9FECAB284CA.jpeg

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1CAB2082-73FD-46BC-9528-E9CB3E746103.jpeg
Well, I did a FW dip and found the culprit. As one can see the poor thing still has flukes. How can this be when I did a textbook prazi treatment in the beginning? Now what? I don’t believe that I should mix prazzi with CP....

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have treated quite a few fish parasites, but not flukes. To quote Humblefish:

I encounter prazi resistant monogeneans (flukes) and/or turbellarians (black ich) almost every single shipment. I typically use either hyposalinity for 1 week or repeated formalin baths in order to eradicate them; but I am convinced that fenbendazole is the wave of the future. You can also food soak fenbendazole to treat stubborn intestinal worms.

Prazi resistant flukes are becoming more common unfortunately.

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m finding that out, oh joy. Thank you!
I’m getting the CP out and switching to hyposalinity. With 3 other fish in there, this should be fun.
Thank you!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m finding that out, oh joy. Thank you!
I’m getting the CP out and switching to hyposalinity. With 3 other fish in there, this should be fun.
Thank you!
There is no such thing as praziquantel resistant flukes, the treatment just doesn’t kill the eggs of Neobenedenia, so you dose with prazi, kill the adult flukes, but then new eggs hatch out and reinfect the fish. Your best bet for control is 35 days of half salinity..... that kills the adults, and then the eggs are kept from hatching until they die. My internet is down, and I’m working off my phone else I’d copy some text I wrote about Neo for you.
Jay

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did 12 days of hypo, (this was after 19 days of CP) slowly raised the salinity then put them in the DT last week. She’s 100% recovered, I hope it was enough.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did 12 days of hypo, (this was after 19 days of CP) slowly raised the salinity then put them in the DT last week. She’s 100% recovered, I hope it was enough.
Sorry- I see that somebody revived an old thread, I didn’t check the date of the original post, so I thought it was new!
Since you moved the fish to a new tank, your shorter hypo treatment may work out ok.....the eggs would be left behind.
Jay

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back