herbie or bean animal overflow?

James52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok ok im changing my mind 100 times I know im confusing the hell out of everyone. Im talking to some people and a sump I think is going to be my best bet. Now since its only a small 40 gallon breeder do you guys think I will be ok with just a herbie overflow system or do I need to do a bean animal system I know bean animal is safest but im limited on space. Any tips or advice would be awesome thanks guys! And if you could send some pictures of your over flow boxes and your pipping and sump. Thanks!!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herbie is fine as along as your around to be sure it does not get clogged

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
........Im talking to some people and a sump I think is going to be my best bet. Now since its only a small 40 gallon breeder do you guys think I will be ok with just a herbie overflow system or do I need to do a bean animal system I know bean animal is safest but im limited on space.
Since you are limited on space and not home for much of the day I still say go with a herbie on that small a tank.
As long as you just have a trickle going down the secondary pipe it should be able to handle the extra flow should something get down the main drain and block a portion of it off. If you check your tank every day when you feed, just glance at the overflow.
I bet if you polled people, the number of beans that ever had the emergency drain be used would be < 1%
Now if you have a tank thats full of plants it might be better to have an emergency.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150-gallon FOWLR and messy eaters, so I wanted maximum flow. I run my primary and secondary drain pipes fully submerged, and a trickle down my emergency drain. (First two pipes have gate valves, emergency drain has a ball valve.) My return pump is variable-speed. Things are dialed in now, and I never really need to adjust anything. Best wishes!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me it is often more about managing risk. Is the tank is over a hardwood floor, tile floor, or garage concrete floor? How big of a crisis would be if there was an issue with the overflow? I try to use a bean animal when possible, but candidly there are some cases where I have used a single drain. While there may be a suggested or preferred option, the specific selection may vary depending on the situation. Good luck with whatever you chose!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also depends a little on how much flow you are pushing through the overflow with the return pump. If the trickle/emergency can handle the flow (although loudly) if the siphon gets clogged, then there isn't much risk.

For example, on a 40 breeder, you wouldn't only need a couple hundred gallons an hour going through the sump. I would have no problem recommending a 2 x 1" pipe Herbie system. Hope that makes sense.

Matt L.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been away from the boards for a long time, but for the past 20 years, I’ve used nothing but a durso and a float switch. I’ve never had a noise issue or a problem. It is not difficult to silence a naked d’urso (a d’urso not behind an overflow). I understand the benefit of these other types is to have a backup but if you’re limited on space, a float switch works just as well.

Matt:cool:

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a Herbie for a couple of years now with no issues. I believe the thought process is if your main siphon gets clogged the trickle overflow would take over. On a bean animal if both the main siphon and the first trickle get clogged the 3rd pipe would be there. I guess the idea that it would get clogged if something, say a snail crawled into your overflow and into the pipe or a fish jumped over the wall into the overflow and got into the pipe causing a clog. I made an acrylic cover for my overflow so nothing big enough to cause a problem can get into it. Maybe I'm missing something but I've never had a problem. The cord going into it is my heater.

Overflow cover.png

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also covered the outside surfaces of the overflow with black paper, the shiny kind used as tank backing from a lfs. Not only does it look nicer since you can't see the pipes in the overflow, coupled with the overflow cover it keeps the inside of the overflow dark. No algae grows in it keeping it much cleaner for much longer. Less maintenance.

Attachments

• Overflow cover 1.jpg
    Overflow cover 1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 36
Back