Herbie Overflow for Rubbermaid Stock Tank

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled this 4 times on the sides. I purchased x2 3/4" rainbarrel bulkheads but after installing, I did not like either the seal or the size of the pipe. So the 2nd time around, I used 1" Uniseal & I'm much more satisifed with that diameter. Here's a few pics to help.

Front view (short side):
1600741947546.png

Here's the Top view of the same holes that drain into the return chamber of the sump:
1600741984064.png

On the (long) side, I have another pair of drain holes both 3/4" bulkhead & 1" Uniseal:
1600742019424.png

This is the inside view of the same two holes above:
1600742059180.png

One of these days I plan to get around to replacing this with a Standpipe design. It won't be a Herbie model as this tank is in our fish room & it doesn't need to be silent. However, because this application is a refugium & flow should be lower, it really doesn't make much noise as it is.

I would use 1 1/2" PVC & Uniseal. The Uniseal is simply amazing. I am using this on our Surge device & would highly recommend over the traditional bulkhead.

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, those rain barrel bulkheads look pretty chunky. Where did you get them?

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I searched around yesterday to see if I could find any other plumbed 50g Rubbermaids and I found some, but most are plumbed on the sides or from the bottom where the 100g+ Rubbermaids have their bulkheads. A lot of folks seem to use uniseals for these. There are a few standpipe versions I found, but I can't tell if they used a uniseal or bulkhead.

Here are the images with source:

rm01.jpg

rm02.jpg

RM03.jpg

RM04.jpg

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, those rain barrel bulkheads look pretty chunky. Where did you get them?

I purchased them from Lowe's but I really dislike them. The Uniseal is 25% the price & provides a much better application for plastic (especially curved surfaces). Grab a 2 or 4 pk on Amazon & you won't be disappointed.

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I searched around yesterday to see if I could find any other plumbed 50g Rubbermaids and I found some, but most are plumbed on the sides or from the bottom where the 100g+ Rubbermaids have their bulkheads. A lot of folks seem to use uniseals for these. There are a few standpipe versions I found, but I can't tell if they used a uniseal or bulkhead.

All great applications! They are indestructible.

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased them from Lowe's but I really dislike them. The Uniseal is 25% the price & provides a much better application for plastic (especially curved surfaces). Grab a 2 or 4 pk on Amazon & you won't be disappointed.

Hm yeah, I'm scared of using uniseals though. I've never installed one and the only ones I've seen in operation at the National Aquarium in Baltimore leak. I'm sure there are ways to install them correctly, but I don't know if I have the chops to do it.

I'll keep them in mind though. They certainly are an option.

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past week or so I've drilled and set up the tank. I went with three holes on the back wall like so:

IMG_20200928_121218.jpg

From left to right we have main drain, which will be restricted with a valve to quiet it down, emergency drain and return line.

Overall I'm not thrilled with how it all turned out. It works, but plumbing out the back was a pain because of how I had to snake the drain lines under the tank and through the stand. The 1" bulkhead also leaves a lot of room for water height because of how big the opening is. When I turn off the return pump a lot of water drains to the sump, almost too much.

If I have to do it again, I think I would try to drill the bottom so I can do a standpipe. It'll be easier to plumb and more direct. As-is, the tank certainly works, and once I install the valve on the main drain it'll be reasonably quiet. At least I now have a ton more real estate for corals. My 18"x18" frag rack in my 40g breeder is completely full. Thanks again for your input.

IMG_20200928_121255.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back