Herbie with 1 hole each in 2 overflow box/weirs possible?

OrlandoAIOReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a tank I’m trying to plumb with 2 overflow boxes/weirs on each end with 1 hole each. Can I do one straight pipe full siphon (with union & gate valve) & other side a durso emergency drain that 2 inch higher ?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure if designed right. Make sure the Durso is low enough to operate as a full siphon before flooding the tank. And you might want to tune it so that the Durso is operating as a trickle flow preventing the frequent tuning that herbie can require early on. I find my herbie requires much less tinkering with exact flow if I have a trickle in the emergency line. If you have room for a Durso - perfect, it's designed for low trickle flow and can shift into full siphon for protection. It'll be a Bean Animal without the backup emergency (which is fine imo).

Just make sure your return section of sump is sized so it can't overflow the tank even if no drains are operating. That's the backup for a herbie.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OrlandoAIOReef

OrlandoAIOReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure if designed right. Make sure the Durso is low enough to operate as a full siphon before flooding the tank. And you might want to tune it so that the Durso is operating as a trickle flow preventing the frequent tuning that herbie can require early on. I find my herbie requires much less tinkering with exact flow if I have a trickle in the emergency line. If you have room for a Durso - perfect, it's designed for low trickle flow and can shift into full siphon for protection. It'll be a Bean Animal without the backup emergency (which is fine imo).

Just make sure your return section of sump is sized so it can't overflow the tank even if no drains are operating. That's the backup for a herbie.
So it’s a must I get the 40B sump kit so only the water in return section goes up if both 1.5” drains clog, I’m using a 60B as a sump (same as 40 but 4ft)
How close is height difference Is your main drain vs emergency to accomplish that?
& dang my emergency durso is like 1/2” above the tank

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yaa I thought about this as well, was planning to use a small return pump from my IM 15gallon to shoot water out thru the weirs
Why not just build the tank with one larger overflow box for everything?

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back