Here’s what I want...Now what is it I need?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m working on getting caught up on the changes to this hobby and what may suit me best.
Here is what I will be working with:

40 Gallon Breeder (not reef ready)
Glass top (likely need to be removed due to light filtering abilities?)
No canopy
Will have about a 1 inch sand bed and like around 40-60lbs of live rock
Like a 20L sump/refugium

Here’s what I want animal wise:

A few fish (still working on this list)
A mix of softies and LPS with maybe a couple select SPS

This is where I’m lost...equipment:

Skimmer - Never used a skimmer on any previous tank, any recommendations?
Lighting - metal halide was the premium lighting back when I stopped following most aquarium industry updates. The issue is I suck at maintaining a schedule to change bulbs...perhaps LED? I’m fine with Chinese black boxes but not sure what’s a decent knock off brand? I’ve seen LED at some LFS and the look works. May add more whites for a more natural reef look (I’m aware of the blue spectrum requirement for coral growth). I would like something that has legs (if possible) as hanging above the tank would be quite difficult.
Testing - is there anything that does digital testing of the basics (like the Trident but including ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phos,etc) but without the massive controller expense? I have never used a controller and personally am not a fan
ATO - Never used one before. Any reccomendations?
Dosing - I like the thought of automated dosing but not the cost so will likely stick with dosing by hand
Auto-water change - I like the thought but never done this before - thoughts?

So with the above said, what do I need or what are your reccomendations? Budget wise I’d like to keep it as cheap as possible however I know that certain things one shouldn’t cheap out on.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no issue answering questions. I have no specific budget on a per piece of equipment, however would like to keep the overall total somewhere between $1500-$2000

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m working on getting caught up on the changes to this hobby and what may suit me best.

Some people do have them, but yes they do affect light. However, I'd still recommend a mesh lid if you are gonna get fish, they jump.
Yeah that should be plenty.
Me neither so I have no recommendations. XD
Lighting - metal halide was the premium lighting back when I stopped following most aquarium industry updates. The issue is I suck at maintaining a schedule to change bulbs...perhaps LED? I’m fine with Chinese black boxes but not sure what’s a decent knock off brand? I’ve seen LED at some LFS and the look works. May add more whites for a more natural reef look (I’m aware of the blue spectrum requirement for coral growth). I would like something that has legs (if possible) as hanging above the tank would be quite difficult.
Not that I have issues with T5s or MHs. I just never used them so dunno anything about them. For LEDs, I could recommend the AquaIllumination Hydra. You can get the mounts for them. They have white light and a bunch of other spectrums, including blues.
Testing - is there anything that does digital testing of the basics (like the Trident but including ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phos,etc) but without the massive controller expense? I have never used a controller and personally am not a fan
I have no recommendations for digital testing, sorry. D:
Same as above. I have a very simple one that basically is just a screw cap for a water bottle, but I only use that when I am on holidays. Basically it just inverts a big bottle over wherever you want it to pour water into, clipped to the side of the tank.
Dosing - I like the thought of automated dosing but not the cost so will likely stick with dosing by hand
Sure, that works.
For a 40 gallon, I don't really think it is needed.

Sorry, I can't be of too much help. I have a relatively simple system, so this is all I can offer.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No canopy
Like a 20L sump/refugium

Here’s what I want animal wise:

A few fish (still working on this list)
A mix of softies and LPS with maybe a couple select SPS

This is where I’m lost...equipment:

So with the above said, what do I need or what are your reccomendations? Budget wise I’d like to keep it as cheap as possible however I know that certain things one shouldn’t cheap out on.
Glass top: I'd lose it and do a mesh top. Not so much for the light issue, more so for the fact that you'll be cleaning the thing constantly and it gets old.

Lighting: I'd go a step above the black boxes and go with a Reef Breeders Photon V2+. 6 channels (Deep Blue, Light Blue, White, Violet, Green, Red) of control and they will grow anything you decide to put in your tank.

Skimmer: I use them. I use a DC Coral Box skimmer and love it. A cheaper alternative to the bigger brands but gets the job done. You could obviously go with one of the bigger brands and fit it into your budget.

Testing: Red Sea kits for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Magnesium. Hanna kits for alkalinity, phosphates and calcium. I don't currently use a controller so I can't recommend one.

ATO: I would absolutely use one. All of the ones I've tried seem to work well enough. Trigger Systems sells blemished ATO containers for half price... something you might want to look into.

Dosing: You can go cheap and get a Jebao or Coral Box doser and regret it. Or you could do what I just did and spring for the Kamoer X1 Pro 2 pumps and add heads as needed for $90 per head. Or spring for the new Red Sea dosing pump coming out at the end of the month which looks like a great unit.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all!

So I’ve never done a mesh top, I’ve used the egg crate before (that most use in their frag tanks). Is the mesh top something built similar to a screen or is it something that could be bought?

I’ve heard good things about ReefBreeders, do those come with legs?

I’m not all about name brand so if a DC Coral Box works just as good, that’s fine with me

I used to use API kits but always heard crap about them. I’ll definitely look into the Red Sea and Hanna

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all!

So I’ve never done a mesh top, I’ve used the egg crate before (that most use in their frag tanks). Is the mesh top something built similar to a screen or is it something that could be bought?

I’ve heard good things about ReefBreeders, do those come with legs?

I’m not all about name brand so if a DC Coral Box works just as good, that’s fine with me

I used to use API kits but always heard crap about them. I’ll definitely look into the Red Sea and Hanna
BRS sells clear mesh screen and kits to make the tops.

The Photons come with both legs and a wire hanging kit.

I'd stay away from the API kits. You want accurate repeatable data when testing to have any kind of success.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back