Here to absorb and learn... Interested in Mariculture and Reef Restoration

HumboldtReefers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am new to the hobby/industry and looking to absorb and learn everything I can. Have a interest in getting into mariculture and reef restoration as a way of giving back to the world. I have been watching everything I can online and trying to learn, don't have many around me that share the passion. Wanted some interaction with those that share the obsession.

I use to work at a store when I was younger and took care of a lot of different fish, salt and fresh, and a small amount of coral. The guy I worked for was a herpetologist and had 1000's of breeding pairs of snakes, and I put more interest in the tanks he had for the retail side of the store. My main interest is in medicinal plants and have been working with them and breeding them since a teenager. I find many similarities between the coral and cannabis industries. Finding the genes and expressions that speak to you and then multiplying them and spreading them to the world. Colonies and fragging is like mother plants and clones to me.

About two years ago I had an experience that made me take a deep dive into corals, and became fascinated by them. I realized with the businesses I own and operate that I wouldn't be able to put the effort into them that it takes to keep on top of things properly, as often I have to travel on the drop of the dime and have no set schedule. I said it would be nice to meet someone that shares the passion that is more of a homebody and could give it the daily love needed.

I recently met a guy that has been wholesaling fish for the past 35 plus years. I made an investment into the business(In NY, I live in CA mainly) and long story short he is having some life issues that may not allow him to continue working. In past months I have spent hundreds of hours researching and was hoping to get into mariculture with him eventually and to help push the coral side of things as he is a tropical fish guy mainly. Putting so many hours and such effort into the business and now him in a position that he may not continue I have come online to hopefully meet someone like him that I can be a mentee to and try and turn my obsession into a business and something that can help coral reefs and costal communities around the world with conscious capitalism projects that push the trade and give back to nature and its bounty.

Sorry for being long winded, but just trying to be direct. If he pulls through I hope to post our builds and what we are up to, and share with the community what we have been planning, but while I wait and figure out if that will be, I hope to connect with others that I can learn from and vicariously reef with until I can make my dreams of being a coral collector and helping restore reefs more of a reality. I have put in too much effort to turn back now. Look forward to learning and sharing the journey with you all...

Health and Happiness,

HumboldtReefer(s)....(since there is a inactive HumboldtReefer already, liked the play on words...)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
389B4332-DC47-4475-A744-079D73259A44.gif

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am new to the hobby/industry and looking to absorb and learn everything I can. Have a interest in getting into mariculture and reef restoration as a way of giving back to the world. I have been watching everything I can online and trying to learn, don't have many around me that share the passion. Wanted some interaction with those that share the obsession.

I use to work at a store when I was younger and took care of a lot of different fish, salt and fresh, and a small amount of coral. The guy I worked for was a herpetologist and had 1000's of breeding pairs of snakes, and I put more interest in the tanks he had for the retail side of the store. My main interest is in medicinal plants and have been working with them and breeding them since a teenager. I find many similarities between the coral and cannabis industries. Finding the genes and expressions that speak to you and then multiplying them and spreading them to the world. Colonies and fragging is like mother plants and clones to me.

About two years ago I had an experience that made me take a deep dive into corals, and became fascinated by them. I realized with the businesses I own and operate that I wouldn't be able to put the effort into them that it takes to keep on top of things properly, as often I have to travel on the drop of the dime and have no set schedule. I said it would be nice to meet someone that shares the passion that is more of a homebody and could give it the daily love needed.

I recently met a guy that has been wholesaling fish for the past 35 plus years. I made an investment into the business(In NY, I live in CA mainly) and long story short he is having some life issues that may not allow him to continue working. In past months I have spent hundreds of hours researching and was hoping to get into mariculture with him eventually and to help push the coral side of things as he is a tropical fish guy mainly. Putting so many hours and such effort into the business and now him in a position that he may not continue I have come online to hopefully meet someone like him that I can be a mentee to and try and turn my obsession into a business and something that can help coral reefs and costal communities around the world with conscious capitalism projects that push the trade and give back to nature and its bounty.

Sorry for being long winded, but just trying to be direct. If he pulls through I hope to post our builds and what we are up to, and share with the community what we have been planning, but while I wait and figure out if that will be, I hope to connect with others that I can learn from and vicariously reef with until I can make my dreams of being a coral collector and helping restore reefs more of a reality. I have put in too much effort to turn back now. Look forward to learning and sharing the journey with you all...

Health and Happiness,

HumboldtReefer(s)....(since there is a inactive HumboldtReefer already, liked the play on words...)
Welcome to R2R, we're here to help and support as much as possible.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Health and Happiness,

Welcome! Glad you joined. Hope he pulls through and you guys continue collaborating.

'start where you are, use what you have, do what you can' - Arthur Ashe, tennis player (but seems like that would apply here, too!)

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). There is no such thing as too early to start.

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 27.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back