Here we go! TinCanHero's First SW build - 93 gal 30" x 30" x 24" (LxWxH) Cube :)

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, Small update,
i woke up this morning and checked the tank before work as i usually do, i was fairly excited to see Nem had moved all the way up to the highest part of the rock work in my tank and was partly extended! I thought, awesome! it might stay put and open out now. I noticed it was still moving around as i was leaving but didn't think to much about it, When i got home however its moved down a bit and under a ledge and closed up again. Maybe i should have turned the lights on a little early this morning to encourage it to stay put, ah well, hopefully it can find somewhere it likes and finish healing / open out soon :)
Its nem +12 days atm

Kind regards, TinCanHero.#

This morning, Whoo! where getting somewhere! - not holding its side in as much either!
IMG_20190506_081151.jpg

Or maybe not :)

IMG_20190506_163716.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, back for another update.

Tomorrow is the day that i get my first batch of coral delivered! to be honest i'm pooping myself a little. Not all of the coral will arrive tomorrow as far as im aware, both sellers where asked to ship this week but i think one of them forgot because he was a"ducking" my messages this morning for confirmation. The other seller contacted me this morning to let me know my order was being put together, i then was contacted to tell me that both of my "Fire and ice" zoas had melted and if i would like a refund or something else, i said to surprise me. I've also had a email confirming delivery.

Next up ive been trying to get some equipment together to acclimate and dip in. i'm going to have a rummage later, i think my 2ft 20ish L will do for both, acclimation is another subject, what end of the spectrum is right? Some don't acclimate, some drip for a few hours.. Personally i'm still not sure on the method ill use, i plan to watch some more youtube later and make a choice but im leaning to floating the bags up to temp, using the water they came in to partly fill the small tank, add some tank water, add the dip and baste & wait, rinse in tank water, then add them to the tank.

Nem is still kicking, after my last post it made its way down the rock to the bottom again. It was partly extended on the corner, if i stuck my head hard against the glass i could perfectly see its bad side, still looks a little rough on the edge, mouth was also closed but looked a little more longer over being round as i saw when i first got it. I tried to take a pic but i couldn't get the angle, i almost took the backing off the tank to show you all. yesterday it was hiding around the corner, i couldn't find it no matter how hard i tried. This morning it was back up the top of the rockwork and this evening its moved down a little and tucked itself under a ledge with a few testicles out. Im still unsure of this guy, is it trying to split? is it still healing? is it going downhill? is it just unhappy with my tank? all of the above? or none? i have no idea if im honest. Time will tell.

I set my dosing unit up about 5 days ago and started with 4ml of alk (1ml x 4) im using redsea foundation b powder, 100g to 1L of RODI. i upped that dose to 6ml (1ml x 6) yesterday, my alk is holding around 10.1 - 10.5. Id like 11DKH but id like stability more.

I did a WC last night too, another 100L. I cleaned my rocks again, or rather the ones i missed, i also cleaned the overflow box for the first time since the cycle ended. I did the same as last time but alot of the brown diatom algae? (i think thats what it is) ended up on the sandbed, since last night its blown around into the dead spots of the tank, interesting to see where they are actually. ive got some saltmix on so i can clean the sandbed before bed, im going to just use the hose and hoover the top crap up, even if it takes a little sand.

Ill update you all tomorrow night on the coral i received. Will be a fun, frightening and great learning opportunity!

-- a quick funny side note, google "Ultra Aussie Epic UV Lime Electric Finger Coral" and 13 of the results on the 1st page of images where of my tank.. i looked at one pic and said "that's a cool tang.. wait.. that's my tang!" :p

Kind regards,
TinCanHero.

IMG_20190507_212042.jpg

IMG_20190507_212105.jpg

IMG_20190507_212725.jpg

IMG_20190509_082048.jpg

might night snacks?
IMG_20190509_173523.jpg

IMG_20190509_193010.jpg

IMG_20190509_193023.jpg

This might be the best pic i have taken of the nem holding its side in.
IMG_20190509_193058.jpg

IMG_20190509_193114.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, back for another update! This one has coral :)

So yeah, my new coral shipment arrived today. It came in a poly box inside of a cardboard box, The bottom of the box was wet when i picked it up, like not just damp or surface wet, but wet all the way though.. i licked my fingers and tasted salt.. oh ****. i cracked the box open wondering what was leaking, i noticed a poly box inside and thought i might have gotten away with it thinking they where 100% waterproof.. i guess not. Inside of the pollybox there was a carrier bag liner untied if i remember with a heat pack in the side of the box with the wrapper next to it. the heatpack was wet and pretty cold. inside the liner bag there was my coral :) they where all double bagged and tied with elastic bands. the liner had some water inside of it and sure enough one of the bags had pretty much no water inside of it bar a few drops, inside that bag was a very sorry looking Kenya tree. There was also some medical specimen tubes containing zoa's packed with cotton wool.
I floated all of the bags and i placed the tubes on my overflow, the Kenya tree i left in the box and added a few L of tank water to the box. 15 mins later i added the other coral to the box with their water, added some coral RX pro and basted away for 5m, nothing that i could see anyway dropped off bar dirt.. i think. Anyway, i rinsed the coral in tank water and added them right to the tank.

A hour or so later i moved a few bits to give them more room, bar that ive not touched them. The hammer and Granny smith zoa opened up pretty quick, everything else was closed up still, peaking out a little but that's all.

Lets move on to Nem while we "wait" until bed time for some more photo's :p
Nem hasnt moved since last night, it was in a pretty great mood to show off its damaged parts today, i think i may have finally taken i pic of that retracted side i keep talking about but am never able to prove :p

Also, i think i have a problem with some sort of algae / cyno. My sandbed is looking pretty messed up since last i cleaned it (i didnt get time last night) i have that red/pink/brown algae / cyno growing over it pretty freely, some area's its patchup up quite thick. I'm going to do a manual removal tomorrow with a WC and see how it goes. What im more worried about, and im not sure if its the same thing or not, is this weird brownish stringy algae/cyno thats on my rockwork, sand and overflow. It was the reason i started cleaning my rocks over the last 2 WC's it seems to start off as a small fluffy / stringy coating, it then spreads i guess by extending strings that can break off, i guess in its mature form its a ball of these strings. I think i messed up by rubbing it off, its only spread it faster.

I'm quite worried im looking at the beginning of a outbreak, im trying to bring my nitrates and phosphates to 0 for a while to deal with it easier and to then be able to "tune in" my bio pellet reactor with my levels and bring them up slightly again. my current tank param are:

[Params]

-- so yeah I didn't get to the tank for pics before lights out, i guess it will be after work tomorrow :)

IMG_20190510_171751.jpg
IMG_20190510_171804.jpg
IMG_20190510_171829.jpg
IMG_20190510_172021.jpg
IMG_20190510_172028.jpg
IMG_20190510_172032.jpg
IMG_20190510_172139.jpg
IMG_20190510_172142.jpg
IMG_20190510_172155.jpg
IMG_20190510_172241.jpg
IMG_20190510_172443.jpg
IMG_20190510_173040.jpg
IMG_20190510_173831.jpg
IMG_20190510_173836.jpg
IMG_20190510_175536.jpg
IMG_20190510_175550.jpg
IMG_20190510_175600.jpg
IMG_20190510_175622.jpg
IMG_20190510_175633.jpg
IMG_20190510_182001.jpg

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, back for another one :)

Ill begin by saying i had a pretty big disaster last night / this morning. I woke up, came down to check the reef before work like i usually do. This time unfortunately everything wasn't hunky dory. I could hear something as soon as i came down stares it was a grindy horrid sound, as soon as i turned the corner i could smell something bad also, something burning. i opened my cabinit and noticed my last chamber in my sump only had 3-4" of water in the bottom.. F**K.
I unplugged the return and thought, yeah that will be okey until i can sort it after work.. (what the heck was i thinking?!) So yeah i, in my sleep deprived state just headed off to work. After waking up for a hour or so and actually thinking about what happened i suddenly realized that it was my heater that was burning probably and my tank would have no heat with no return... OH CRAP! so i jumped back into my van and went back home to sort it correctly. luckyly the overflow drained and covered the heater back up and it seemed to be working okey, so i topped the tank with a few L of RODI since i had no SW to hand. the return sounded like crap when i first started it back up, it quieted out after a minute or so.
What a total **** up though... i mean, i honesty cant believe i let that happen, i must have totally forgot that i took water from the tank for acclimation etc. i unplugged my ATO and didn't plug it back in also... Jesus...
Anyway, lucky the tank dropped like 1c, i guess i dropped the salinity a bit but it really wasn't a readable drop. Gona replace the heater and return pump tomorrow if i get a minute to run down the FS.

Anyway, to some better news. Everything seems to be doing alright, Nem is still where it set up the other day,
most of the new things are out. The Kenya tree must have fell last night and landed right way up in a hole at the bottom, it looks like its alive and recovering :) Everything else is extended or partly apart from the two Zoa's at the end, although there starting to open a little. The "finger coral" is standing up again but no polys out. As usual ill take pics later and post this later so we will see if they open more today :)

So yeah, Later has come. one last thing before i shoot off. Nem has moved down the rock again, and positioned itself at the bottom of the rock with its bad side facing me. Man i didnt realize how bad it was damaged, i can clearly see some damaged tissue on the side it holds in. One other thing i noticed, when i first got Nem its mouth was closed and round, then the other day i noticed it was closed but elongated like a banana, today it looks like that mouth is now two mouths that are pulling away from each other. could this be a sign of nem trying to split to save itself?

Anyway, enough rambling, photo time.
Kind regards, TinCanHero.

IMG_20190511_202331.jpg
IMG_20190511_202356.jpg
IMG_20190511_202413.jpg
IMG_20190511_202437.jpg
IMG_20190511_202557.jpg
IMG_20190511_202631.jpg
IMG_20190511_202715.jpg
IMG_20190511_203903.jpg
IMG_20190511_203931.jpg
IMG_20190511_214209.jpg
IMG_20190511_214220.jpg
IMG_20190511_214229.jpg
IMG_20190511_214238.jpg
IMG_20190511_214255.jpg
IMG_20190511_214310.jpg
IMG_20190511_214316.jpg
IMG_20190511_214324.jpg
IMG_20190511_214337.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, Back for yet another quick update ^^

Again today everything is looking okey, The zoa's are a little more open again today, the Kenya tree had retracted itself right back and fell completely through the rock work. i picked it up and placed it back on some lower rocks for the time being. Ive also noticed my finger coral has fallen off its bit of rubble and was sitting upside down on the edge of the rack, i placed it in one of the holes and found it on the sand bed when i got home, ive placed it back and sorta pinned it in place with the rubble and rack hole.:( Nem has moved around to the side again just chilling as usual.

As i was finishing writing this i went to feed my tank, sometime since i got home until now one of my clowns had gotten into my overflow box... im guessing though the missing weir fin. ive covered my overflow that under the water line so the tank is draining on emergency. I had no idea how to get it out, i was trying with my hand and a cup for a while but i have had no success, i had to get my fry net since nothing else would fit :/ That sucked.

Anyone know what the best method of reattaching this finger coral is? i don't think you can use superglue on them? use a rubber band? the frag is about 25-30mm long. Maybe someone from the #reefsquad could point me in the right direction?

IMG_20190512_220749.jpg
IMG_20190512_104401.jpg
IMG_20190512_212239.jpg
IMG_20190512_212311.jpg
IMG_20190512_212317.jpg
IMG_20190512_213713.jpg
IMG_20190512_220323.jpg
IMG_20190512_220328.jpg
IMG_20190512_220344.jpg
IMG_20190512_220349.jpg
IMG_20190512_220405.jpg

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some more teething problems in the last few days, almost a desaster but i managed to pull it back from the "brink". So story time i guess, Where having a bit of a heatwave where i live atm, higher than normal temp's, around 19c on the forcast. I was out working all day Monday, when i returned home i was planning on a WC since i haven't had time to get one done in the last week. Anyway, i returned home and checked the RODI tank for temperature before i added the salt, 31.3c... WHAT?! a few seconds later it dawnded on me if this RODI tank is 31.3c what is my reeftank? i quickly scarper in to the other room to check it, 27.2. HOLY SWEET MARY WITH MAPLE SAUCE! - just for context here, i live in Wales, the official home of rain and sheep... Where lucky if we see a week of "nice" weather all year on a normal year, and by nice i mean most of you US folk who live in the warmer parts would probably call our "nice" weather jumper and wolly hat weather while we bask in it half naked. - Anyway, after my mini heartattack i just go into panic mode, i open every window and door in my house, i start every fan i can find and start praying. I then get the not so "bright" idea of getting some of those ice cooler packs i use to transport my frozen food and dump them into my sump. within 5mins i realize just how much of a stupid thing that probably is to do in case one leaks so i remove them immediately. the temp comes down to the mid 26c and looks to be dropping more so i call it a night and head to bed. I wake this morning early to check the tank, back up in the high 26's... great... so i head up into my atic on a hunch there is a large fan up there, and there was. unfortunately it didn't work so i spend the next 20mins bodging up the wiring to get it to work, after that i placed it with about 2/3 above the rim of the tank 1/3 below. i notice the tank cooling so i head off to work not to be late. For the next hour and a half i received updates on the tanks temp, every time it was getting lower with the final update being 25.3, i get my next update at about 2:30pm saying the tank is at 25c :) Since being home the fan has been coming on every 10 mins for a few mins the nocking off (i have it hooked up to the cooler part of my temp controller.)
I did look into a chiller today, but at £500 there a little overkill for a few days a year i feel. I have seen a nice set of fans from D-D 4 in a block. They look like PC fans, and thinking about it i could probably just use a few Xbox fans i have laying around and wire a PSU for it, but its more of a time issue for myself than anything right now.

Anyway the coral is doing alright after this, everything stayed open through the spike and its all still open and looking okey now that the temp is back stable.

Next up my cyano issue, ive been talking to a few people about it, and we all seem to agree that its probably an organics issue in my tank. Im still not cleaning my frozen food before use and i don't have any mechanical filtration such as a sock although my nitrates and phosphates seem is good order. Ive ordered some more filter socks that im going to use in the "ghetto" way until i can finalize my new plumbing design - more on that later. Anyway, while talking it came up in every conversation i had that you can beat it by waiting it out after fixing your water param issues, however it usually takes months to fully go. Every single one of them recommended a chemical treatment of some kind, with chemiclean being mentioned more than once. I was hesident at first to use the stuff since id really, really rather not use chemicals, I mean i feel awful about how many times my hand has been in the tank since last Friday.. anyway, I did a little research online and Tidal Gardens had a video on red cyano, towards the end of the video he mentions chemichean and pretty much says what i was told from others. I tend to trust Tidal gardens as a source of good information, there individual coral care guide videos are next to none is quality. so i bit the bullet and ordered some, im in no rush to hit the nuke button yet but its nice to know its there if it dose get really bad.
What do you guys think? any advice would be greatly appreciated.
()

To wrap this wall of text up, I have my final coral order on its way. it will arrive in the morning at some point, hopefully this one has no issues, its the "big one" that i went crazy with, 47 frags, 47. Forty Seven. No more auction sites for me, although to be fair i did stop after i released how much i actually got. Here's a list of whats expected tommorow.

green pavona
miami hurricane zoa and eagle eye t9 zoa
grafted pavona
two tone psam
alpha and omega zoa
purple ricordea yuma
bonsai
two tone green acro
lorkani
seratopora calidrum
triple holder and veitnam pack (3 x zoa)
neon trumpet
puprle rainbow pocilapora
montipora spongodes
green pavona
rusty pavona and green acro
chillipepper plate
duncan and sps set (4 total)
galexia
tri colour
xmas chalice
vivid orange monti
gsp x 3
eagle eye cluster
fairy dust zoa
green digita
radio active green
cyborg
green montiplate
5 mixed random zoas
hystrix frag
Cyprsrtrea
organism pally

90% of that was £2.5 or under a frag, no less than £1. hence why i went a "little" crazy.

Anyway, not many pics for today, i did pick up new cleaning cleaning tool and some different frozen food ill let you know how they do.
Ill be back with a ton of pic's tomorrow :)

IMG_20190514_192740.jpg
IMG_20190515_201900.jpg
IMG_20190515_201920.jpg
IMG_20190515_201938.jpg
IMG_20190515_215230.jpg
IMG_20190515_215251.jpg
IMG_20190515_215257.jpg
IMG_20190515_215309.jpg

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, back for that update i promised.

The frags arrived today, totally different packaging, This one came in a handmade box made from sheets of foam and lots and lots of tape. I received two packages in total, quite small boxes.
The frags where heat sealed into small pouches, those where then placed into a plastic holder that had 5? pockets in each, they where then rolled up and placed into the box. both packages had small heatpacks that where still slightly warm. Overall the packaging was quite good, the frags where held in place well, some had hardly no water, but there we are. Overall i had 1 DOA, i think it was my seriatopora hystrix, it was just a skeleton :( One had came off its frag plug and didn't look to great, but it seems to have perked up since being tanked. one or two others look to have some skeleton showing also, although im new at this and may be wrong. One other major issue i had was i only received 39 frags total, i messaged the seller and was told he forgot to message me to say some where not ready to ship? seemed a little fishy but there we are. I still need to go through what i received and check them off the list, that's going to be a "flash from the past" it kinda reminds me of my early plant identification days when i had no clue :) one last point on the frags, i thought they where WYSIWYG, they are 100% not WYSIWYG, everything is alot smaller that what was pictured, some being only a few mm in size :/ Last of all, while dipping the frags i did get pests fall off, i think 3 Asterina Starfish for sure came off, The plugs where also alot more dirty, im betting a good number of new algaes and cyno's have been introduced to the tank today! Overall, not as good of a experience as the fist company i delt with, but the price reflects that i guess. ill keep everyone updated on how the rest is resolved in the next day or two.

I also did a 100L WC last night, i cleaned the sanded up and vacuumed the rocks, no bushing this time!!

some have opened well since ive tanked them, some are still sitting there, Everything is on the sandbed for now as i just wanted to get them in. ill be moving a few things around in the tank later as they require it (sps higher etc).

Anyway, enough talking Tincan, we want dam pictures you rambler :)

Kind regards, and happy reefing.
TinCanHero

P.s Don't be shy, tell me what you think, im excited to talk to someone about my tank / frags :)

p.s.s Im going to try and learn how to take better pic's soon, its alot more tricky than photographing plants :p

-- Last edit, after trying to take a few more pics here is what im thinking on the current state of the corals.
2 zoas? look to be melting. (i was wondering what these where and if it was just mucus)
1 sps looks half bleached ( i did notice this earlier)
1 monti looks to have bleached parts through it. (the one i talked about earlier)
1 DOA (described as above)
the Acro looks brown too, i don't remember ordering a brown one?

Hmm.. This was how it all came, maybe a little worse than i though?
-- its been a few hours since taking these pics and the seller has gotten back to me and said no worries he will replace whats DOA or looking bad :)

IMG_20190516_143108.jpg

IMG_20190516_145635.jpg

IMG_20190516_145638.jpg

IMG_20190516_172653.jpg

IMG_20190516_172704.jpg

IMG_20190516_172710.jpg

IMG_20190516_172720.jpg

IMG_20190516_172729.jpg

IMG_20190516_172754.jpg

IMG_20190516_172812.jpg

IMG_20190516_172823.jpg

IMG_20190516_172827.jpg

IMG_20190516_172835.jpg

IMG_20190516_172839.jpg

IMG_20190516_172844.jpg

IMG_20190516_172854.jpg

IMG_20190516_172901.jpg

IMG_20190516_173108.jpg

IMG_20190516_173118.jpg

IMG_20190516_172901.jpg

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still battling my bloom, after the last WC 2 days ago were back to where we started pretty much, that's okey thou, another drum ready to go soon :)
The guys over at https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/is-this-cyano-or-something-else.600169/ where kind enough to give me some hints to what it is.

The last coral order after having time to let everything settle in and for me to stare at it for a while is a mixed bunch, to be honest alot of it is crap with faded colours and bleeched or damaged parts.. some almost looks like it was fragged and bagged. the Zoas, the ones that have opened are great, the SPS sucks - Its pretty much what the reviews said to be honest thou. Im also pretty sure that alot of it is not what i ordered, i still havent had time to go though all the names etc. the first order, from company A is great stuff, no issues with it, B however is pretty poor.

Last up, some worrying news, Nem had been MIA for a few days, i thought it had crawled up under a rock again around the corner as it usually dose. Today i was determined to find it, that wasn't to hard actually as it was on the rock at the bottom. I didn't like what i saw, its hanging upside down, foot attached but the "neck" is long and the head is just laying on the sandbed. I think this may be it for nem, im keeping a close eye on it, however i don't have high hopes. Just as i was beginning to relax a little thinking it may heal.

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, Another update.

Not much going on in the tank, I did another 100L WC yesterday and siphoned as much of the (probably) diatoms off the rockwork and sand as i could again. Im actually starting to think where over the worse of it, although im not sure if im seeing a small amount of hair algae also or if its another form of diatoms or perhaps another problem altogether. Either way where all good, its caused some problems for some of the frags, they tend to retract in if they catch any particles and if im not quick to blast it off they can become covered in it, as ive seen with some of my zoa's - ultimately i think it will be there death, i may try a peroxide dip as a last resort if i think there on the way out.

Ive ordered 7 new 100mic filter socks to help out with the organics, i plan to change them daily and clean them all once a week for now.

I also ordered another of my fragracks, the same to be exact, they have a new 2019 model that's bent over glued but i decided to get another matching 2018 one :) The main reason i did this was to try to isolate the frags from the rockwork and sand as best as i can until this bloom is over. i also had some acros on the sandbed that ideally wanted to be moved up a little atleast. Ive left most of the zoa's on the sand for now. i may end up rearranging and cramming the racks - id rather keep my bloody hands out of the tank thou...!!

On to my dam clown fish, well the female to be exact. this morning before work i found her in the overflow again... this is number 4 or 5.. i was convinced she was getting through the broken fin, but after blocking it 3 times, the last with no chance in hell of getting through or over im now guessing its jumping the weir.. im still deciding what to do here, i have that tank net cover that came with the tank, but its falling part, the wrong size and just not effective. Im looking into options, maybe the Redsea kit or perhaps a custom wooden lid.. IDK yet but i better make up my mind before she jump out of the tank completely or gets sucked into the gate valve..

onto Nem. Its going to be either today or tomorrow i take it out of the tank and probably float it in a bag. all ive seen over the last week is it slowly going downhill. the colour has almost gone grey apart from flashes, its totally retracted and is getting smaller and the tentacles don't look good.
Since my last update its moved up the rockwork where it stopped for a day or two, last night its made its way around the corner and is in a good place to remove / view. Its still holding onto the rock but its foot is alot smaller than usual and almost looks like your bed duvet with wrinkles in places.

-- After taking a good look, i can confirm that its the bad half that's dying off the most, there is a distinct colour difference in that area and its more retracted. im guessing the wound could not be healed and its slowly killing the nem, im torn between taking it out early and calling it a day or not and risking a crash at worse.

I almost forgot about the 3 that where bleaching out on arrival, one has bleached fully (the twin one), the other has stopped part way through, i think & the green digi looks to be getting a hint of green back into it. all in all a sorry bunch of coral from this seller, frag and post before the glue is dry by the looks of it!

-- another wall of text, sorry :(

Kind regards,
TinCanHero.

IMG_20190520_100002.jpg
IMG_20190520_104956.jpg
IMG_20190520_185824.jpg
IMG_20190520_191726.jpg
IMG_20190520_194556.jpg
IMG_20190520_194559.jpg
IMG_20190520_194615.jpg
IMG_20190520_200332.jpg
IMG_20190520_200405.jpg
IMG_20190520_200504.jpg

IMG_20190520_202654.jpg

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, Small update.
I found my Female clown in the overflow again today, that's number 5 or 6? now.. Usually its a game of playing catch the fish, today she was easy to catch however I'm guessing she got stuck in the net i didn't see her, i placed the net at my side convinced it was empty and i didn't catch her, however i heared a wet slap and instantly knew that was the sound of a fish on the floor. I tanked her again in 20 seconds and she seems fine now but something has to be done asap to stop this - im not going back my my Betta days ^^. I've been looking at the redsea kits as i said in my last post, im just a little worried about the return pipe because it comes out above my tank, over the overflow and back in. Its going to be a right pain to cut around it, and doing do is going to leave a 25-30mm gap that the clown could still jump through.. Now im seeing the benefit of a back drilled tank or overflow ^^

My filter socks and some new pelit food arrived today along with my second KH kit :p

Also my MetroPlex and Focus arrived, I haven't seen anymore stringy poop from my clowns but i think im going to treat everyone anyway as my tang has been acting a little weird this week. I think it may be the reason my clown keeps going into the overflow, maybe its linking food going over there with possibly getting some, who knows, there pretty smart fish from what ive seen.
So i guess ive got a bit of reading to do :) I have some matrix carbon ready and waiting to run while im feeding the meds.

Kind regards,
TinCanHero

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, Back for another small update.

I made a mix of medicated food yesterday, i used 1 scoop of Focus, 1 scoop of Metroplex to 1 Tbsp of mysis with a few drops of garlic guard. I fed some last night and everyone ate it with out complaints :)
Im also cunning Matrix carbon to try and keep the water column medication free.

I ordered a one of those RedSea net covers, better than nothing i guess, time will tell how well i can get the fit.

Along with my Tang acting a little strange the last week my male clown is also behaving a little oddly, its spending most of its time up in the corner by the overflow and just docent look its energetic self this week, quite lethargic and just looking sorry for itself. I'm scratching my head a little, im wondering what i could be, i'm leaning toward just being tired and lacing energy due to the parasites but i cannot be sure, i think im going to up feeding atleest until medication is over and there looking a little more healthy. on that note my Hammer wasn't looking so great when i walked in today after work also, not as extended as it has been, i wonder if the medication may be effecting it or its just a momentary thing. Time will tell.

Last of all Nem, its been going down hill further the last few days, i think today is the day i remove it. The testicles are looking awful and its clearly on its way out, I think ive been as fair as i can with waiting but now i think its time before it just turns to mush.. As i said before ill float it in a bag until it finally dies ( I assume that's what will happen at this point)

Finally before i go, The possible diatom bloom is on its tail end now i feel, i havent had so much growth since my last WC, still some growing but no where near as much. Its still causing me issues with my coral, specifically my Zoa's Ive had one sing head Zoa die over the last few days, i noticed a little bit of diatoms sticking out of its mouth while closed, it hasnt opened back up and looks to be melting now. I say this because my favourate zoa is closed today, it also has some diatoms sticking out of its mouth closed up. Im not to sure what the answer is to fix that, im going out for food soon tonight, when i get back i plan to remove Nem and move the rest of the zoa's up to the new frag rack, ill see if i can just pull the string out when i move it if its not opened back up in the mean time. (not sure if that's a smart move or not, but im assuming it will perish like the last if nothing is done??)

Again not much pictures today, im still trying to figure out how the pro's do it, i may order a macro lenses for my phone this week :)

Kind regards & happy reefing.
TinCanHero.

IMG_20190521_134239.jpg
IMG_20190521_153305.jpg
IMG_20190521_153324.jpg
IMG_20190522_184101.jpg
IMG_20190522_184114.jpg
IMG_20190522_184238.jpg

IMG_20190522_184252.jpg

OP
OP
TinCanHero

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, back for another update. Unfortunately this one is quite sad, one i hoped i wouldn't have to do. :(

Ill get right to it, Unfortunately my female clown fish is dead. I awoke this morning for work and came down to check the tank as i usually do. I couldn't see her in the main display so i assumed that she had gotten into the overflow again, I had this terrible feeling as i walked around to the other side to check and sure enough she wasnt there. I took a deep breath and prepared myself for the worse and took alook behind the display and sure enough she was on the floor motionless. I rushed to pick her up and clean the fluff off her, she still had her slime coat and was still moist so i though i may have had a chance even know she was lifeless. I placed her cupped in my hand infront of one of the powerheads to get as much flow over her as i could as i know from past experience you can get them going again if you get water flowing through there gills. Unfortunately after 15mins there was still no sign of life, I placed her in the net inside the sump while i was in work - i knew deep down she was gone but i didn't want to flush her without trying.
The sad thing, my RedSea net cover arrived today :( I literally had a bad dream last night that this would happen too... I truly feel awefull about it and have been pretty depressed all day, no one ive talked to about it cared today. :( :(

Onto the male, the male has still been staying put in his top corner, im getting more concerned every day about his health. I spent a good 45 mins watching him last night, i couldn't see any signs of damage or disease externally.

My hammer is also looking worse today, not to sure whats going on there.
-- Went to take some photos after typing this up, I think the powerhead got nocked down a little and was just blasting it a bit much, i turned it down for now and its opened up alot more in the last 5 mins. (see pic)

Last of all, Nem. I took it off the rock last night, it peeled off rather easily once it started to let go. It was slimy to the touch and had an almost mucus substance coming from it, i think i cought just intime. I bagged it and could see that only half of the foot was healthy, the rest looked like it was dying off. Its still alive in the bag today, just looking awe full. give it a day or two and it will be gone i fear.

one bit of positive news before i go, that Zoa that got some diatoms cought in it is okey today, fully open. I moved alot of them last night up to the rack, i used a paper towel to gently dab the diatoms from its mouth and it seemed to do the trick. I also cleaned that one i thought i lost off and it turns out it was a small bit of seaweed? or macro algae that was flapped over it, i couldn't see it in the tank but when it was up close it was obvious, i moved that off and the polyp looks good under it still.

Kind regards & happy reefing,
TinCanHero.

IMG_20190523_175044.jpg
IMG_20190523_181317.jpg
IMG_20190523_181331.jpg
IMG_20190523_181351.jpg
IMG_20190523_181412.jpg
IMG_20190523_181424.jpg
IMG_20190523_181448.jpg
IMG_20190523_181533.jpg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back