Here we go... Wife approved in wall (I know, seriously)

SaltedGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it happened.

Currently we have a 120 cube, but we're building a new house... wife says "So, what do you want to do with the tank"... many thoughts run through my mind... I said "Well, we can just move the one we have.... then she followed that with, "don't we have a 9' wall that backs to the 3rd bay of the garage? What about a new tank, and you have a fish room?"

The angels started singing, the sun burst through the curtains... it was one of the best phrases I had heard in my life (other than the "Yes, I'll marry you," duh.)

So, the house is being built. Now comes the stressful part.

I need to figure out what to put in that space...

here's what I'm working with. Pink is a wall I'm adding, and the blue is the proposed tank (72x36x25) - 280 gallons.

We're moving from Oregon to Oklahoma.. and thankfully we have a way to transport everything we currently have in our 120 cube in less than 10 hours.

I need ideas folks. I've never done an in wall before... HELP!

Where do I order the tank? What size sump do I need for this?

2000 copy.jpg

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it happened.

Currently we have a 120 cube, but we're building a new house... wife says "So, what do you want to do with the tank"... many thoughts run through my mind... I said "Well, we can just move the one we have.... then she followed that with, "don't we have a 9' wall that backs to the 3rd bay of the garage? What about a new tank, and you have a fish room?"

The angels started singing, the sun burst through the curtains... it was one of the best phrases I had heard in my life (other than the "Yes, I'll marry you," duh.)

So, the house is being built. Now comes the stressful part.

I need to figure out what to put in that space...

here's what I'm working with. Pink is a wall I'm adding, and the blue is the proposed tank (72x36x25) - 280 gallons.

We're moving from Oregon to Oklahoma.. and thankfully we have a way to transport everything we currently have in our 120 cube in less than 10 hours.

I need ideas folks. I've never done an in wall before... HELP!

Where do I order the tank? What size sump do I need for this?

2000 copy.jpg
Idk about the type of tank or sump but have you thought of doing a in wall corner tank?

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered it. That corner is load bearing. I'm good with a single pane to not have to modify that corner.
Awesome! Look forward to following. I recently moved to Virginia from NY and broke down my tank. It killed me but the wife said when we build our home in a year or 2 we can include plans like yours !

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please reconsider the height im regret that my tank dimension is 96x36x24. The fish need space to swim around. 25” is like a shallow tank and by the time adding rocks and corals there’s no space left since the corals will reach to the surface in a few years.

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recently in the same position with one exception. I didn’t have to move to a new house. I now have a 225 in wall build! It’s good to get the wife on board!

Attachments

• 21A5EA2A-88E9-4225-871D-D325E6C66D07.jpeg
    21A5EA2A-88E9-4225-871D-D325E6C66D07.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 54

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new house and green light on the new tank. I wanted to do an in wall, but I also had the same issue as you... it was load bearing. So I had to settle for the tank on the inside of the house and building the fish room in the garage. All of that is still in progress and you can check it out in my build thread if you like (link under my avatar).

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please reconsider the height im regret that my tank dimension is 96x36x24. The fish need space to swim around. 25” is like a shallow tank and by the time adding rocks and corals there’s no space left since the corals will reach to the surface in a few years.
I was also worried about the height on my tank and made the height 26" which doesn't sound like much but it makes a huge difference. Full tank dimensions: 96"L x 34"W x 26"H

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF!!! Lots of in wall tank builds here if you search for them. Many have every step of the way in pictures and details. Good luck!!!

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a word of advice................Might want to check back with the wife in a couple of days, before you go and blow a hole in the wall.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF!!! Lots of in wall tank builds here if you search for them. Many have every step of the way in pictures and details. Good luck!!!
My wife and I have spent the last year designing and installing our in-wall 365 Reef Tank. I think we have spent as much time thinking about the wall itself as we have the tank design. We have tried to document every step along the way. Here is the build link: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/p...n-meets-the-lake-365-gallon-reef-tank.749605/

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back