Here you are, still reefing, still reading this post, still cleaning the glass and feeding the fish. WHY?

What keeps you "driving forward" in this hobby?

• Tank success

Votes: 292 41.7%
  • Hobby Friendships

Votes: 22 3.1%
  • Boredom

Votes: 13 1.9%
  • Fish as your pets

Votes: 168 24.0%
  • Can't quit now! Too much invested.

Votes: 99 14.1%
  • I make money from the hobby

Votes: 12 1.7%
  • Other (please post in the thread)

Votes: 95 13.6%

• Total voters

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The community is what keeps me going. Especially this past weekend. I've made some great, lifelong friends from this site and this hobby.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other. There are just too many reasons to list, but it comes down to the fact that I LOVE my tanks. Reef and FW. I love the challenge, the maintenance, the learning curve, the beauty, the interaction (both human and marine), etc... For me It's not a hobby, but a way of life. My sister thinks I need therapy. My mother thinks I spend too much time and money. My grand kids think my tanks are the coolest things in the world, and My wife understands and supports me.

What would I tell someone who is considering giving up? I would suggest a little soul searching. I would ask what they truly want/expect from the hobby, and how much they are willing to invest in money, time, blood, sweat and tears. This hobby isn't for everyone. But for those who are willing to stick through the good, bad and ugly, it can be an amazing journey.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted "Tank Success" There is just something oh so satisfying being able to have a living, thriving, and successful ecosystem in my living room.

Last edited:

rknapp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always been fascinated with the ocean. It's my happy place that always seems to calm my soul (was that too weird?). Love the idea of bringing a piece of that into my home. Also in some strange way the challenges involved with making it happen are an irresistible draw for me (much like golf). I love the satisfaction of eventually making it work and then sitting back to enjoy the view.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said “tank success” but it’s more about continued success because people love to tell you how hard they hear it is......

It’s funny, because it is WAY harder than they even realize...... but they “heard” it’s hard.....

And it being hard isn’t good enough.... “Oh, Idols are tough to keep? I’ll take 2” “Oh, things doing ok? I better try adding a clam”. “hey, this sea apple...... what’s the worst that could happen?”

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not, I keep my tank because it relaxes me . Even with the problems with algae and stuff, it’s much easier than some of the other stuff that is going on in my life.

Naso180

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the challenge and the complexity of the systems we create to support these micro ecosystems, and the beauty of the end result.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I've been wanting to throw a hammer at my tank...but then my 12 year old clownfish would wind up on the floor.

I've spent some money this year on equipment, new sump, new skimmer, upgrading lights....and I think I've figured out my most recent problem....so new circulation pump is on the way as well.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just love the hobbie and everything about it . The one thing that I really love most of all is the build and seeing it come together and see all your hard work come alive .

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually love the challenge, the unknown puzzling aspect of this never ending mystery of invisible endless parameters, options, different setups.

Sure I enjoy when there has been success's along the way (here and there), and have photos to prove it.

Then I mess up so much with hand-in-there tinkering so badly I have to start all over again, which is fun.
Rebuilt at least 8 times. Modified at least 50 times.

I do hate maintenance (Certain kinds).

I sometime think if I ever figured out permanent success, I'd be bored.
That's what worries me since I'm about to automate my whole setup as close to 100% as possible.

G_Lows

Glows
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank success. A lot more difficult than most people make it seem. Especially when you have a weak spot for sticks

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The notion that I can essentially create, maintain, shape and watch grow an entire ecosystem from what was once a bare spot in a room in a never ending source of fascination.

Back