Here you are, still reefing, still reading this post, still cleaning the glass and feeding the fish. WHY?

What keeps you "driving forward" in this hobby?

• Tank success

Votes: 292 41.7%
  • Hobby Friendships

Votes: 22 3.1%
  • Boredom

Votes: 13 1.9%
  • Fish as your pets

Votes: 168 24.0%
  • Can't quit now! Too much invested.

Votes: 99 14.1%
  • I make money from the hobby

Votes: 12 1.7%
  • Other (please post in the thread)

Votes: 95 13.6%

• Total voters

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the hobby for 47 years now because I have been fascinated with marine life and the ocean since my earliest childhood memories. It started watching Cousteau and "Mutual of Omahas Wild Kingdom"

As an adult I went through a few decades of being a serious scuba diver. It's the best hobby for someone in a corporate career. When I'm underwater nobody can call, email or otherwise speak to me :rolleyes::)

Nothing on earth relaxes and resets me like being underwater, or watching my fish tanks. Except during physical moves, I have had some sort of aquarium up and running since about 1972, and it will stay that way until they bury me...

You and I my friend could be 2 of a kind.. about the same timeline and same interest. Difference is.. I dont get to dive.. Living in the upper Midwest kind of puts a damper on diving... :):):)

And what keeps me going??? The need to succeed. And the animals.. and.. well keeps me busy..

Luca Borri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You and I my friend could be 2 of a kind.. about the same timeline and same interest. Difference is.. I dont get to dive.. Living in the upper Midwest kind of puts a damper on diving... :):):)

And what keeps me going??? The need to succeed. And the animals.. and.. well keeps me busy..
never say never: now I live in the mountains, my house is surrounded by woods and lots of water ... very, very cold, I have a small tattoo studio and ... I wait for my children to grow up and start going back in the water together with them who sometimes look curiously at this strange father who always has his hands salty and his mind in the depths of the oceans.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't vote because I can't decide. It's not a hobby for me as it is just there and always has and I remember president Eisenhower.

It's a way of life. :cool:

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still a newbie, but I'm hoping to be successful! It's so relaxing and fun to watch these interesting little creatures. And it's very addictive! If I can have some success with fish, I have aspirations to graduate to corals!

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a chain off loss, lost all my livestock in a move, didn't have the time/energy/funds to get that tank up and running. Accidentally backed into a tank that I wanted to turn into a seahorse tank that I had in my garage, started a nano-tank, ended up being overgrown with gha because I didn't have time to maintain it, then my youngest kids dropped an entire container of fish food in the tank and nuked it. All of this happened over the course of a year, the nano was the last straw. That was about 5 years ago. I'm currently setting up a 75G, which I am designing to be as automated as possible. I miss watching a reef tank, geeking out over the sump, interacting with the fish. The siren song of reef tank keeping is real.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me? It’s therapeutic. The sad truth is I’m a child of abuse and trauma. Such that I’m still dealing with it at 28 years old. I’m not going to go into my story, as that’s not the question here. But suffice it to say, having something I care about, which I control, which is solely my responsibility, and which can have such wonderful dividends...yeah.

I’m a newbie. But I have a pair of clowns and some hermits. I have an oceanic tech 120g I got off of Facebook classifieds. And I’m slowly collecting what I need to really set it up for success. And you know what? Not knowing all the answers in and off itself is a blessing because it gives me something positive to focus on. Meanwhile I’ve encountered so many gems of human beings on Instagram. Idk. I’m not a professional, but I dare say my reef tank is helping me heal. So yeah. That’s why I’m still going for it ‍♂️

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me? It’s therapeutic. The sad truth is I’m a child of abuse and trauma. Such that I’m still dealing with it at 28 years old. I’m not going to go into my story, as that’s not the question here. But suffice it to say, having something I care about, which I control, which is solely my responsibility, and which can have such wonderful dividends...yeah.

I’m a newbie. But I have a pair of clowns and some hermits. I have an oceanic tech 120g I got off of Facebook classifieds. And I’m slowly collecting what I need to really set it up for success. And you know what? Not knowing all the answers in and off itself is a blessing because it gives me something positive to focus on. Meanwhile I’ve encountered so many gems of human beings on Instagram. Idk. I’m not a professional, but I dare say my reef tank is helping me heal. So yeah. That’s why I’m still going for it ‍♂
Welcome to R2R
4dde8cd6d6295e01-3d-rendering-gifs-find-share-on-giphy.gif

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like hobbies to keep me busy in my free time and I like learning and this hobby has both.

Some people's hobbies are dangerous and probably risk their lives like base jumping or something and they still do it.

Arturs Millers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been in this hobby for arround 3 y now. I think i been trought alot of things, some ppl would just run away. But what keeps me going is that after every failure or whatever seeing sps growing showing some stunning colors is what keeps me in this hobby. Even know i have lost alot of my sps..

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other, I keep mine up for therapy.
It helps me stay physically active after all my surgeries and also helps me feel better mentally having my mini piece of ocean to stare at in my living room.
Also have formed great friendships that keep me engaged in reefing as well.

All I can say is ditto except mine is in my bedroom. It really keeps my brain active (and challenged). Caring for it keeps me mobile. I credit it with a faster recovery from my medical issues and my surgeries. (we should start a club because I think it is a common theme ;) )

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Votes other. As I said in a different thread, it’s therapeutic. Having something to take care of, and work towards (just have my 40 qt tank set up with two ultra black ice clowns and some hermits), literally gives me hope. There’s something about having another life form that really helps with your own state of mind. I’m not saying I’m completely broken. But due to the trauma of my upbringing, I am very prone to anxiety and depression. Yet something about researching how to best create a viable marine environment for my display, and monitoring the water parameters for my clowns, looking into how to provide a healthy varied diet, enrichment, yeah. You may get the idea. Also, I like to think that this hobby may lead to ways to heal our oceans. Idk. I just know I watch my clowns goof around and feel like I can keep going *shrugs* sorry if this seems melodramatic

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back