Here you are, still reefing, still reading this post, still cleaning the glass and feeding the fish. WHY?

What keeps you "driving forward" in this hobby?

• Tank success

Votes: 292 41.7%
  • Hobby Friendships

Votes: 22 3.1%
  • Boredom

Votes: 13 1.9%
  • Fish as your pets

Votes: 168 24.0%
  • Can't quit now! Too much invested.

Votes: 99 14.1%
  • I make money from the hobby

Votes: 12 1.7%
  • Other (please post in the thread)

Votes: 95 13.6%

• Total voters

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I became attached to the sea as a child in the waters of the Atlantic. I am not a "reef" person. I am a marine life person. I have shrimp, gorgonians, sponges, crabs, urchins, anemones, conchs, fish, algae, coral and all the tiny pest things. Keeping them is some work but it makes me happy.

OlderManSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept tanks since the late 60s. Lots of successes, nearly as many failures. Would never quit because the organisms and their interactions are just too cool (scientific term) to stop.
I also go to my local public aquaria Seattle and Tacoma a couple of times each every year and aquaria where I travel.

Cheche

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m going to be honest.this all started bcoz my daughter love the movie finding Nemo.so one day I decided to have Nemo and Doris in my house.and 15 years later I’m still watching my fish tank like I was when I was holding my daughter in front of the tank to make her stop crying and eventually followed sleep. So for me is a memory finding moment...

Pfeffer_16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put fish as pets, but other is a reason too. I've had some stressful moments happen the last year, and these stressors have put a toll on me and my life. But as soon as I stare at my tank, that stress just disappears instantly. The view of ocean life is so relaxing it's crazy. I'm so happy to be a part of this hobby :)

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went “other”
While I love my pets and I am fascinated by marine life it’s also the challenge of maintaining that life in a closed environment. And yes it has its ups and downs but the intricacies of solving those problems and the challenge keeps me in tune.
It’s also very therapeutic, even the water changes, for me. When you’re focused on your animals all the problems you had during the day and at work go away.

KingReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this question can ever be boiled down to one thing. There are so many aspects of reef keeping, it's hard to pick one. For me, the challenge of keeping the tank stable is a big draw. I also geek out on the equipment and love spending time reading and researching options. Then there is the tank and its inhabitants. I can spend hours just watching small crabs and snails go about their daily lives. Add in fish and their personalities and the tank becomes a reality show. It is very relaxing and therapeutic as well. Just watching things sway in the current and the shimmer of the lights can transfix my 7 year old. There is also the family aspect to it. The tank is something that my whole family gathers around, discusses and gets excited about. I have spent hours talking to my 16 year old daughter about the tank. Getting hours of her time about anything is a huge accomplishment, but she really is interested in the tank.

haiyaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being successful over challenges is my reward. It keeps me physically active (which is important at 70) and entertained.

For example: this morning, a rock flower anemone had detached and landed on the mouth of a trachy. Panic! Was he eating it? Was he just passing by? So, I waited and observed for awhile then put on a glove and grabbed the RFA. Fortunately, he was just resting there. It's now back where I want it but this saga may not be over! New name: Rover.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had a tank since 2007, so to be without one is just weird.

Chukthunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other, I keep mine up for therapy.
It helps me stay physically active after all my surgeries and also helps me feel better mentally having my mini piece of ocean to stare at in my living room.

Same. Taking care of the tanks helps me to stay on schedule and take care of myself.

aap15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as it can be stressful...I find it relaxing. It's a great way to unwind and I enjoy the researching and learning. I also enjoy the success as many do and I enjoy sharing it with people who aren't in the hobby. Always go to know that maybe you helped someone entered the hobby and helped keep it going and growing

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its very simple I enjoy keeping fish. If you genuinely enjoy something you'll usually figure out a way to make it work.

jordlr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish tank is the most colourful thing in my house. Its also the most peaceful and dare I say it, least demanding thing alive in the house too. If I'm ever angry or stressed I just sit down and stare into the water for a while and everything becomes normal again. And I love watching things grow and change, the tank never looks the same from one day to the next. Plus I've invested too much time and money on the thing to ever give up. Giving up is weakness. If there is a problem, find the issue. Fix the issue and the tank will reward you for your effort. Even if it means breaking it down and starting from scratch, to create, grow and sustain a complicated ecosystem in a glass box is a challenge and an achievement. Something everyone should be proud of.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was drawn to it because of the beauty and variety of life that thrives in these glass boxes along with the challenge of keeping them healthy. It is a rewarding feeling to be a steward over a small ecosystem, especially when we help it thrive! The potential for growth lies not only in our varied critters and corals, but within ourselves as we stive to learn about and diligently care for them.

Sandra Finnell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this hobby there are UPS and there are DOWNS! Times when you want to throw in the towel. Times when you wonder if it is all worth it! But here you are, still reefing, still reading this post, still cleaning the glass ans feeding the fish.

There is something that keeps you going, something that keeps you driving forward in this hobby. What is it?

What would you tell someone who is on the verge of giving up?

Untitled-2.jpg

image via @ChristopherKriens
I acquired a JBJ 29 Nano on a garage sale for almost nothing, and got started in this amazing journey over one year ago.
My tank has been slow in coming of age, but now it is home to a healthy, thriving array of corals and fish. Everything is good. There were days when algea problems where a headache and one day when I found, late one night after lights out, that I had what I thought was one asterina star, it turned out to be nine! Checked every night, and have never found another. Thank goodness! Every day, I look in on my little ocean to see what it needs and am so very proud of it. I am one of those people that are all in when interested in starting something, then I never want to stop making It " perfect in my eyes", especially when I love it more and more every day. I will never have as much equipment and goodies as lots of reefers on here, but what I have suits me just fine, right now. If you are thinking of stopping and throwing in the towel because of disasters and thinking that you will never get things right, don't do it! You don't have to have tons of equipment and gadgets to make your tank work. Working to make it great, is a never ending job, but if you look at your mini ocean behind that glass, and remember that some days you are so happy and filled with pride at what you have done, then you have it in you to keep working on it to make you feel that way every day!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back