Here you are, still reefing, still reading this post, still cleaning the glass and feeding the fish. WHY?

What keeps you "driving forward" in this hobby?

• Tank success

Votes: 292 41.7%
  • Hobby Friendships

Votes: 22 3.1%
  • Boredom

Votes: 13 1.9%
  • Fish as your pets

Votes: 168 24.0%
  • Can't quit now! Too much invested.

Votes: 99 14.1%
  • I make money from the hobby

Votes: 12 1.7%
  • Other (please post in the thread)

Votes: 95 13.6%

• Total voters

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put other,Have always loved marine life and all kinds of fish.Grew up with an aquarium in my life from age 4yrs old since age 10 I have maintaned my own tanks.I ve been snorkeling and scuba diving since my childhood and my favourite time is to be under water looking and exploring.So its great having a piece of that in my living room.

Sandra Finnell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think that I posted the above reply correctly, and sorry if I didn't but I'm pretty new to the posting thing.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this hobby there are UPS and there are DOWNS! Times when you want to throw in the towel. Times when you wonder if it is all worth it! But here you are, still reefing, still reading this post, still cleaning the glass ans feeding the fish.

There is something that keeps you going, something that keeps you driving forward in this hobby. What is it?

What would you tell someone who is on the verge of giving up?

Untitled-2.jpg

image via @ChristopherKriens
Still thinking about how to vote, but as for what would I tell someone on the verge of quitting, I would very likely tell them to quit. For most people hobbies are temporary and if you are unsure about staying in, then such ambiguity speaks loudly about being emotionally disengaged. Best to quit. If you have a passion for an activity, there is simply no doubt in your mind about sticking with it in good or bad times. You are either all in or you are not. Simple , right ? :)

waywardreefer

Discipline Equals Freedom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other. This hobby along with others help to keep my mind occupied and has a thearputic effect. Reefing and aquariums in general satisfy many different facets for me all rolled into one:

- Exercises discipline
- Tech (I'm an IT guy for the military...to new tech is always fun)
- Gear (geardo)
- Theraputic
- Rewarding
- Teaches life lessons on success/failure/persevearance
- Teaches/enforces patience
- Teaches ingineutity, innovation, and problem solving
- Sense of community
- Always growing/evolving (limits bordem)
- Has ability to expand into other hobbies (e.g. photography, art, DIY, small business, etc...)

Dianna Marshall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose “too much invested...” - and I’m not speaking entirely from a material point of view -
I’ve learned a lot and don’t want to see the education - self learned and helpful, knowledgeable mentors! I wouldn’t want that investment to collect dust on the hobby shelf.

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose "Other" because there are many reasons why I stay involved. The wealth of knowledge associated with this hobby, the success of my inhabitants, the friendships I make in real life and online and the joy I get from helping others.

Cuzuco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other.. I like to have this idea of having a little piece of ocean at home now that I do live far away from it.
I guess is nostalgia. And the curiosity to see how all this life will sprout and spread...

Neil S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this hobby there are UPS and there are DOWNS! Times when you want to throw in the towel. Times when you wonder if it is all worth it! But here you are, still reefing, still reading this post, still cleaning the glass ans feeding the fish.

There is something that keeps you going, something that keeps you driving forward in this hobby. What is it?

Untitled-2.jpg

I love the science behind keeping a miniature ecosystem. Researching an idea, developing the idea, implementing, and ultimately seeing it work. There are also a lot of environmental lessons to be found in the hobby, and the added benefit of sustainable and ethical reefing means that all of the reefers may be able to help in rebuilding devastated wild reefs.

220Gallon-Tim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Untitled-2.jpg

From my view, it all about understanding the circle of life and being the steward over something that brings you joy. This hobby relieves a huge amount of stress when it comes to the world outside of reefing. All in all, its brings me tremendous calm just viewing the coral, fish and other forms of aquatic life interact.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most enjoyable way to spend my children’s inheritance!

I’m addicted... FW fish since 1956, SW since ‘73 and Reefs since ‘86!

Little trivia for you... in the 50s and 60s the LFSs that I visited, didn’t put your fish in a plastic bag... they put them into a little white folding cardboard container, that was also used for many years for takeout Chinese food!

Purplelobst92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy cultivating a piece of natural art, the beauty that a thriving reef tank provides is so breath taking that it re assures me that no matter the complexity or greatness of man made creations, nothing can top the creations of the creator, life in all its forms is a work of art that far exceeds anything man has or ever will create.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sole reason, my dad :) he passed away not too long ago and he really really loved marine life. He owned a bar, and it was beach themed. I was really close to him, and this just helps me stay connected with him. I have a couple corals that he bought me before he passed and it’s my goal to help them thrive.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What drives me forward kerps me going? Goid friends and mentors. @Crabby48 @NY_Caveman @Scurvy @Fudsey @Katrina71 @RichtheReefer21 (in no particular order) are always there to encourage support and make suggestions.
What would I tell someone on verge of giving up? Remember what drew you to the hobby anf remember no one ever kbew it all or was without issues in the hobby. Engage with folks here and locally lean on them he results will come with time learning and new friendships

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, +1 on masochism. And inertia. Still enjoy feeding the fish. Still prioritize the fish more than the corals.
lol, good thing. That beautiful bicolor angel is doing a real job on a lot of soft corals I thought would be too noxious to bother with.

just popping in for a minute. :) Still pretty busy on this side of the computer.

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their tanks.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am WAY to STUBBORN to give up. I first bought the tank because I wanted to see the fish, now I enjoy watching the SPS frags grow more.

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voted other.
I have been fascinsted with aquatic life since I was a little kid. Just seemed like such a foreign, alien land. One of my favorite movies as a kid was "The Incredible Mr. Limpet" (ok, I'm old).
Also love the challenge. Have experienced so many ups and downs with my most recent system and though frustrating at times, the sense of achievment that comes with overcoming issues (such as the dino plauge I expereienced) is very satifying along with the knowledge I gain through those experiences.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back