Here you are, still reefing, still reading this post, still cleaning the glass and feeding the fish. WHY?

What keeps you "driving forward" in this hobby?

• Tank success

Votes: 292 41.7%
  • Hobby Friendships

Votes: 22 3.1%
  • Boredom

Votes: 13 1.9%
  • Fish as your pets

Votes: 168 24.0%
  • Can't quit now! Too much invested.

Votes: 99 14.1%
  • I make money from the hobby

Votes: 12 1.7%
  • Other (please post in the thread)

Votes: 95 13.6%

• Total voters

skiwez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other.

Hard to nail down specifics but certainly there are themes that keep me going in this hobby.
Fascination with the underwater world and all that entails from underwater caves to wrecks to coral reefs. Its amazing what the underwater world has to offer, but with scuba diving your time is very limited. I wanted to have that kind of experience as often as possible so a tank was the solution.
As others have said it relaxing. Even when things aren't going well be it dinos, bubble algae, some unknown pathogens, while disappointing were never reason to quit. I saw them as challenges to overcome. Some better than others but always forward.

Still a newbie at 7 years even though I'm constantly researching and reading and experimenting. I have a what I consider a very full life with that being said. It's taken all of these 7 years to build the perfect tank for my lifestyle. I have an awesome collection of fish and some cool corals and inverts and am happy with it. I used to be envious when I saw tanks chockablock full of sps or exotic lps and $10,000 anemones. But have come to the realization that I need to provide my tank with what it needs and not what everybody else wants. The current batch of fish have been with me for at least 3 years. The corals while simple are growing well. Just added 2 new frags after not adding anything to the tank for almost a year.

I guess that a long winded way of saying that you need to evaluate the reason want to quit. Is is because your tank isn't living up to your expectations or what other people define as perfect. If it's the former than absolutely quit because it will never make you happy, but if it's the later than use those tanks as inspiration but not a model of success

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back