Here's a video of my Shadow overflow. VERY QUIET!!!

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I didn’t want to have to chime in but it looks like I have to. Please keep this discussion on topic. This trend of every overflow thread being hijacked and taken over needs to stop.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the plumbing lesson. I’m pretty well versed on that side of it. I’m sure if you looked at my build thread, you’ll see I do have a pretty good handle on the plumbing needs and theory

I’m going to bow out, since you’re obviously one of the people for which this works, and can’t conceive that there may be other people who do actually know what they are doing but still have issues.
Neil the noise in the front weir of the shadow can be fixed by adjusting the secondary pipe

the same pipes(and powerheads flow) I had that made my box sound like a water fall originally that got thrown out where it belongs and replaced with a real backbox from Jamie to fit the holes I drilled my tank to.

And to anyone reading this who honestly believes we can’t have power heads in our tanks pointed anyway you want because it will make the overflow box loud does that seem like a product you should buy? Or a reasonable answer to fix the problem?

Emblo or whatever your name is how do you know u have 850 gallons of flow that’s a very specific number esp since I’m the beginning of this thread you had no way to measure it

Also here is an actual flow rate of the two best selling dc pumps in the trade with 1 1/4 plumbing
image.jpg

And this overflow can not handle this flow

And that vectra M1 in the video that’s running 1500 gph with one inch plumbing is a pump I would love to have o wait I do and it can only pump 422 gph with the proper plumbing not one inch

Never stops amazing me that people believe what they want to beleive when there are cold hard facts that provides the truth

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I didn’t want to have to chime in but it looks like I have to. Please keep this discussion on topic. This trend of every overflow thread being hijacked and taken over needs to stop.
I’m not bashing I answered a question someone posted with what I feel is the right answer I will stop and I posted that last post before I saw this one so I’m sorry

OP
OP
E

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can completely shut my primary valve and the secondary will handle the full 850gph....with no problem. My emergency is the same size as the secondary. I run 1.5" piping up from my basement and back down, where I have sumps, skimmers, etc.

As for the macna videos... I'm not that concerned with it, but if I remember right, it was noisy in their video. I have no need or desire to run more flow. I have a 125g tank, with about 250g system volume. I have no reason to run more than 850gph. People get way too caught up in trying to get huge flow rates that are simply not necessary.

OP
OP
E

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emblo or whatever your name is how do you know u have 850 gallons of flow that’s a very specific number esp since I’m the beginning of this thread you had no way to measure it

Also here is an actual flow rate of the two best selling dc pumps in the trade with 1 1/4 plumbing
image.jpg

And this overflow can not handle this flow

And that vectra M1 in the video that’s running 1500 gph with one inch plumbing is a pump I would love to have o wait I do and it can only pump 422 gph with the proper plumbing not one inch

Never stops amazing me that people believe what they want to beleive when there are cold hard facts that provides the truth
Wrong on all accounts... but if you want any type of answer to your questions, it's going to take acting like an adult, having a little respect, and asking nicely.
It amazes me how some people think that because they can't do something, it can't be done.

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old post but hopefully somebody can answer. What are proper sizes for the plumbing in the overflow box? Mine is loud as well and trying to make it quiet.
Thank you

Absolutekind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur with the other posters in regard to flow and sound. I have the pre-cut pipes by Syngergy that go inside the overflow and plumbed exactly according to the video by SynergyReef using a gate valve to tune on the primary drain. My return pump is a Maxspect DC 8K running at its minimum of 898 gallons an hour (speed 1). With the gate valve completely open, I can't run more flow than that (speed 2 or grated on the Maxspect) without the overflow box filling up to start a siphon on the secondary drain. It would be great to have the tuning video that was mentioned in this thread a few years ago.

Correction: I followed the printed instructions provided by Synergy and am running two Maxsepct DC8s (roughly 1800 GPH) and it's whisper quiet.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back