Here's to a better Reef Aquarium in 2022! What can you do to make that happen?

Do you have reef tank goals for 2022?

• I have a goal but no plan in place

Votes: 179 19.1%
  • I have a goal and a plan in place to get there

Votes: 409 43.6%
  • I haven't thought about a goal but now will consider it

Votes: 91 9.7%
  • I'm flying by the seat of my pants in 2022

Votes: 260 27.7%

• Total voters

DreadedReefer95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my first tank back in October so I’m really just gonna keep things going. I’m wanting to add more fish for sure. But not sure where to order from at this point.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my first tank back in October so I’m really just gonna keep things going. I’m wanting to add more fish for sure. But not sure where to order from at this point.
let us know your tank size/ideas of what you want! Should be plenty mature by now for fish additions

USArmyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all want a more thriving reef tank! We all want coral to grow abundantly and colorfully, for our fish to be healthy, to have a more stress free saltwater aquarium. So how do we press towards that goal in 2022? What can we do better? What are some things that you know you can be better at? Let's talk about it today!

1. What are some things YOU PERSONALLY can do better to have a more thriving reef tank in 2022?

2. What are some of your personal reef tank goals for 2022?

reef tank success board.jpg
I have an older RS M250 that I want to turn into an external sump system. The issue I am running into is that it is currently set up and will not be able to drill into it so need to run an overflow box out of the sump area currently and drain it into a sump in the cabinet and how I can remove the middle area of the cabinet without weakening the structure to it.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, for the third year in a row, planning to stick to a maintenance schedule….maybe…hopefully…
:D Maybe this is the year!

Setting up an AWC with a premixed saltwater reservoir has changed my life! Think it should be part of any substantial system eventually!

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon freshwater tank that I need to move out of the way for a 120g reef. I sort of have a plan? But, it’s hard to find the motivation to start, for me. I have so many fish to catch…

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As legend Mike Tyson has once said and I quote " Everyone has a plan when they get in the ring until they get punched in the face"
If you asking your self how this applies to reefing you are one of this things. New to the hobby, been lucky or just have easy to look after softy tank.
Something is always around the corner that will kick you in the.... I
"THIS IS THE WAY" in this hobby, maybe I enjoy self torture and the real reason I love this hobby

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 120 is 2.5 years old so I am just focusing on stabilty as I always have.
I did setup a remote 30g fuge 2 months ago. So for 2022 my goal is to eliminate po4 reducing media.
I am already at 2/3 less media in my reactor.
Also looking to get some other types of macro algae.

I also picked up a used 18x18x18 aio nano and am going to get it going soon.

20211214_155750.jpg
20211226_123840.jpg
20211226_123903.jpg

Richsoar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am restarting a 72gal Bow Front glass tank. It has been down for a few years due to leaks, those have been sealed and tested. I am building the rock aqua-scape now and will be cycling by the end of January. Start adding Corals and Fish in March and slowly build it up through the Summer.

hivelyj6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to give this oxydator wagon a ride. I have old windows so an outside air line is out of the question.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goal is to keep up with the good work I've achieved with this new tank. No ugly stage. No out of control nutrients. Keep up with what I'm dosing (coral colors, nopox, vibrant & MB7 rotating and ca/alk/mg). Feeding AB+ Diligence in testing--right now every 3 or 4 days so I can be ahead of any issues.
Also
Get apex set up, esp. the trident
Get RO system set up
Get awc set up although in 3 months, no need to change water yet.
Order clearview lid

Keep on top of it.

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added Neptune Trident & sending in ICP tests every 60-90 days like clock work. Working to bring Nitrates down via NoPox.

Added candy canes, duncans, lepto & (3) new torches in my tank after I had all LPS wipeout about 6 months ago from what I believe to be a chemical introduced while I was on vacation.

looking forward to stability with a maintenance check to Wave pumps every 90 days as well.

Bring in 2022!!! GO BROWNS!!

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank just reached 1 year old, and I think I want to start really adding some fish. To do so, I will have to build one of those horribly ugly nets for my tank top. Still not sure if it is worth it to me yet. Still, this year will be dedicated to fish husbandry.
There are some pretty decent custom fit net cover sites you should check out....

ClearView Lids - The Difference is Clear and the answer is here!​

https://www.clearviewlids.com

ClearView Lids are designed specifically for your aquarium. Our polycarbonate aquarium lids feature a much more durable design than can be found with ...

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some pretty decent custom fit net cover sites you should check out....

ClearView Lids - The Difference is Clear and the answer is here!

https://www.clearviewlids.com

ClearView Lids are designed specifically for your aquarium. Our polycarbonate aquarium lids feature a much more durable design than can be found with ...
Tank just reached 1 year old, and I think I want to start really adding some fish. To do so, I will have to build one of those horribly ugly nets for my tank top. Still not sure if it is worth it to me yet. Still, this year will be dedicated to fish husbandry.

Top Lids - Protecting Your Passion​

https://toplids.com

We are Designing the Future of Aquarium Protection · Our Purpose · Most Popular · Top Lids By Tank Brand · Our First Custom Engraved Evaporation Cover.

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all want a more thriving reef tank! We all want coral to grow abundantly and colorfully, for our fish to be healthy, to have a more stress free saltwater aquarium. So how do we press towards that goal in 2022? What can we do better? What are some things that you know you can be better at? Let's talk about it today!

1. What are some things YOU PERSONALLY can do better to have a more thriving reef tank in 2022?

2. What are some of your personal reef tank goals for 2022?

reef tank success board.jpg
Patience should be on the list too. LOL

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m three months into this journey. Being patient is first and foremost. I’ve had a plan and it’s going well so far. Cycle ✅ two clowns ✅ flame fin tang ✅ parameters good ✅ goals for 22. Established coralline algae. add a couple more fish and start to introduce corals. Keep it simple and maintain. ENJOY the process and learn from others. Constant self education. Thank you to everyone here who helps us newbies. You are awesome. Happy New Year All.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted in my build thread that the tank has been struggling because I've been struggling. When the 220 leaked we got the WB 130, which is a beautiful tank, but downsizing still hurt. Add in chronic pain and motivation was at an all time low.

Not sure what triggered it, but near the end of the year I started getting excited about the tank again. I cleaned the glass more regularly, did a couple of water changes, and started thinking about what I really wanted the tank to be.

I've long sucked at water chemistry. And anyone in this hobby for long knows water chemistry is everything and all the gadgets are just toys. I've known it, but haven't focused on it. For 2022, I will be. I started looking into different "systems" like AF, Triton, and Red Sea. What I settled on was the Reef Moonshiners. It made the most sense to me with the individually dosed trace elements. I work from home so there's no real reason for me to not be able to dose regularly. I also like the monthly ICP tests and adjusting from there. Finally, there is a strong FB group for support and feedback.

So Reef Moonshiners is my plan. My goal is to be able to keep any coral I buy not only alive but to thrive. I have a few that have managed to hang on despite my neglect. I'll track the progress of those and, once they show the signs of healthy growth, will begin adding more to reach my goal of having a fully stocked system.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back