Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Tested

Alkalinity: 8.5 dKH

I'm surprised it dropped below 9 and have a theory that the CO2 scrubber has increased pH and thus alkalinity demand; however since I don't test pH I can't say that's for sure what's happened. It could also be that testing at this time of day results in a sub-9 dKH reading.

OP
OP
Hermie

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Tested

Alkalinity: 11.5 dKH

The urchin died overnight.
A bunch of aiptasia disappeared overnight.

I've taken the CO2 scrubber offline in reaction to the seeming alkalinity spike.

I may have been blasting the corals with too much light because I increased one of the orphek bars "on-time" by 50% (from 2 hours to 3 hours). And the lepto is just underneath the bar meaning it gets the maximum PAR from it.

I think my CO2 scrubber combined with the increase in PAR has killed coral tissue thus negatively affected coral growth and decreased the tank's alkalinity consumption. Corals not directly under the light bar seem to be doing "ok."

I hope I didn't nuke the tank.

OP
OP
Hermie

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1643139486599.png

appleberry montipora

OP
OP
Hermie

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Tested

Alkalinity: 10.5 dKH

I want to get it lower... but I don't want to decrease dosing. So I think I need to increase light somehow.
I am going to add a diffuser to my other orphek and start using it again.

OP
OP
Hermie

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did an 8.5 gallon water change. Topped off with more saltwater to help bring the salinity back up. I think it will still level out under 35ppt once the evap occurs so I will monitor over the next few days and make a plan.

OP
OP
Hermie

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta say man I jumped from page 1 to 11 and the change is astonishing. Lots of progress made.
It's been slow going but I can't say that's the worst thing for a nano tank. I know other reefers have had way faster growth, but I'm at the point where I have too many corals and it's hard to decide which to keep and how to get rid of the others.

OP
OP
Hermie

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Tested

Salinity: 34.24 ppt

Will be adding 108 grams salt slowly to the overflow to increase to 35ppt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hermie

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Tested:
  • Alkalinity 10.5 dKH

I am very surprised by this result because I recently added-back my orphek light bar which I assumed would increase alkalinity consumption via coral growth a la photosynthetic increase.

Since the Alk is not dropping with more lighting, something else is limiting calcification/coral growth.

Now I am thinking that either high phosphates(or nitrates) or low pH is the limiting factor. I have always assumed that the tank suffers from low pH but the only viable solution for me has been kalkwasser dosing. However, since my alkalinity is relatively high right now, I do not want to start kalkwasser dosing just to increase pH.

My new action plan is to install a phosguard/granular activated carbon canister attached to a powerhead in the sump to reduce phosphates and any nutrient particulates in the water.

Since doing a 4 gallon water change a few days ago, I know that the water is highly "yellow" indicating excess nutrients. I could increase water change schedule as an alternate plan however I am currently low on salt and a bit too lazy. Additionally, my RODI system only produces 4500mL water per hour (A booster pump is on my long term buy list.)

I am going with the increased filtration for now. Going to hook it up tonight and maybe post some photos.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back