Hermit crab survives 30 days of copper in overflow

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I noticed a tiny hermit crab hanging out on the backside of my overflow. This is interesting seeing as I treated the tank with cupramine at a level of .5 for 30 days and have not added the snails, hermits, or live rock back into the tank. How is this possible!? I tried getting a picture but he disappeared into the overflow later that day. Very interesting. Also not only did my pod population survive, but the population exploded to numbers I couldn't even try to quantify. Bristle worms died within days. Luckily the lionfish is seeming cured of parasites and healthy as a horse 6 weeks since I started treating with copper.

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, that is very interesting. What method did you use to measure your copper level during those 30 days?
I wonder if the effect (or lack of effect) to the crab and pods is indicative of the effectiveness of the treatment :S
Not long ago I found a tiny cerith snail in a corner of my Copper QT and it was certainly dead.
I would try a different product just to be safe (after removing those poor inverts ofcourse :p)?

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, that is very interesting. What method did you use to measure your copper level during those 30 days?
I wonder if the effect (or lack of effect) to the crab and pods is indicative of the effectiveness of the treatment :S
Not long ago I found a tiny cerith snail in a corner of my Copper QT and it was certainly dead.
I would try a different product just to be safe (after removing those poor inverts ofcourse :p)?
Seachem copper test. The fish was covered in velvet or ich and completely cleared in a week so it was certainly effective.

KingLucy1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I noticed a tiny hermit crab hanging out on the backside of my overflow. This is interesting seeing as I treated the tank with cupramine at a level of .5 for 30 days and have not added the snails, hermits, or live rock back into the tank. How is this possible!? I tried getting a picture but he disappeared into the overflow later that day. Very interesting. Also not only did my pod population survive, but the population exploded to numbers I couldn't even try to quantify. Bristle worms died within days. Luckily the lionfish is seeming cured of parasites and healthy as a horse 6 weeks since I started treating with copper.
I use Seachem Reef plus and I really didn't notice any difference with increased coral growth, just maintenance of current size while remaining healthy. I had hermit crabs (blue legs, scarlet, Red legs (Mexican), cerinth snails, and white shelled blue legs jumbo sized (fully gown and at peak size for species) hermits all in the same reef at the same time with soft coral and a 4 inch penicillius marcoalgae. I noticed no correlation to death in any animal or plant in the tank to the addition of this supplement. I would only spot feed usually with less than a 0.1-0.2ml in a pipette or just add up to a cap ful directly to the tank. How concentrated are the ingredients factoring your water as diluent? They were in a 5 gallon tank filled to the max or close to it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back