Hermits dying

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello i have a 20 gal nano reef and ive had it for 3-3.5 months now and my first hermit died a month in and my second hermit just died they both were laying outside their shell plz help

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank parameters? What other existing livestock do you have in your tank?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure they died and it wasn't just their molt? Their molts can look like a dead crab.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other inverts?
Any chance something with copper was added to the tank? Are you dosing anything?

OP
OP
Tofu Brady

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would the hermits die if they were out of water for like a day?? sorry this is kind of a stupid question but I don't know the answer to it

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would the hermits die if they were out of water for like a day?? sorry this is kind of a stupid question but I don't know the answer to it
Why would they have been out of the water for a day?

Do they have enough food? Is there algae in the tank, or are you supplemental feeding them? Looking at your prior posts, this tank is really about 2 months old (started around Feb 5th), so I'm wondering if everything is settled enough.

Current pics?

Also, I'd suggest getting an ammonia test (not API) and a nitrate test, at a minimum. Or take a sample to an LFS.

OP
OP
Tofu Brady

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would they have been out of the water for a day?

Do they have enough food? Is there algae in the tank, or are you supplemental feeding them? Looking at your prior posts, this tank is really about 2 months old (started around Feb 5th), so I'm wondering if everything is settled enough.

Current pics?

Also, I'd suggest getting an ammonia test (not API) and a nitrate test, at a minimum. Or take a sample to an LFS.
it was out of the water for long I was just wondering yes the tank is cycled I have a ton of algae breaking out so they have food I was also wondering how I could get rid of bubble algae how could I get that out of the system

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was out of the water for long I was just wondering yes the tank is cycled I have a ton of algae breaking out so they have food I was also wondering how I could get rid of bubble algae how could I get that out of the system
I understand it was out of the water, but HOW & WHY?

Bubble algae can be difficult. You can try manual removal, use an Emerald Crab or try dosing Vibrant.

But, considering it's such a new tank, you could pull out the rock and scrub it off.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was taking out the molt and I looked at the shell for a bit to see if it peeked out
Well, peeking at the crab outside the water for a second or two is a far cry from "they were out of water for like a day??".
That's not going to hurt them.

Back