Hermits - how to get them.to live past 6-9mos

YOUR prefer hermit(s) for your reef tank (multi answers)

• dwarf blue

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • dwarf red tip

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • dwarf yellow tip

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • scarlet reef

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • dwarf zebra

• electric blue

• electric orange

• halloween

• other, plz list in your post

• Total voters

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EVERYONE plz vote on the types of hermit(s) you prefer in YOUR tank

I'm 15yrs into the hobby. I've spent 3yrs working part time in a LFS.

What has always baffled me is why it seems Hermits dont live past 6-9mos and ppl are constantly replacing them yearly.

I've read many times that Hermits go after each other. There's a hierarchy and if you start with 20 you eventually end up with only a couple bc the 2-3 dominant Hermits cannibalize all the others.

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same batch of hermits for almost 5 years now. Still see them everywhere. I've only ever added hermits once, when I started way back, and still have a good handful to this day.

U

User1

View Badges
I'm in the same boat (virtually anyway) with @Crabs McJones as I have several that are going on 7 years. Biggest issue I've seen is when you buy the cleaner packages and they throw in a zillion (figure of speech) hermits of a couple types. You add them and then they fight. What makes matters worse is that stores and online retailers mix them up and some just do not get a long and murder one another. I've seen this a couple times when a certain hermit literally tracks down the others, drags them by a let, and they are done. I'll catch that one and put them into the over flow with the others and let them sort it out.

That is how I got to my steady crew that I have now anyway.

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally try to stay with one species, when I had blue legs and red legs I noticed one would kill the other. I also make a point to put, or leave snail shells ect. in there so they can get bigger shells. I have one blue legged hermit that I think I've had for almost 4 years. He is now sporting a 1 inch banded trochus shell.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had hermits live long time as well. I always make sure there is plenty of empty shells to grow into. Now snails on the other hand are very hard for me to keep long term. From the turbos that’s can’t right themselves to the small ones that just seem to perish. The nerites seem to be only one that live long term for me.

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same batch of hermits for almost 5 years now. Still see them everywhere. I've only ever added hermits once, when I started way back, and still have a good handful to this day.
Coincidence that @Crabs McJones is the keeper of crabs? ;Bookworm

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scarlets are the only ones I even bother with. Of the 5 or 6 I added almost a year ago, I still have most.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny this popped up I have one hermit from an old tank thats going on 7 years, Andy others that are 4 years old. They are all just red or blue legged. I was just wondering how long they live. And these guys are smart cuz my triggers haven’t eaten them.

FragileReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 dwarf blue hermits first setting up my 15g a year and half ago. Still got 'em. Shockingly still in the same shells despite spares and snails in the tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back