Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've found my issue, I had an antivirus on my computer was prohibiting the EcoSmart Live Controller from working. So I finally shut that down, and got to work around 7 pm when I got home. However, it's 9:45 right now and I programmed half of my AI Schedule into my Radion, then I realized well my AI goes up to 116%, that's not going to work, so then I subtracted 30% from those above 100%. That made the tank darker when it should've been getting brighter. So I said screw it. I set up all 40 time points and gave up around 9. Took a shower to relax, and here I am now. Im thinking I'll do 60% of the power on the AI Prime color settings, but have a higher intensity. So now I'm feeling like I'm back in grade school figuring out what percent 79 is of 120 and so on for about 7 colors in 40 different time points. Anyone want to do this for me haha?

What generation Radion are you running? BE CAREFUL with these lights they are VERY strong I would probably run the acclimation mode after you set everything up. On my 90 with 2 gen 1 XR30s and wide angle lenses I couldn't go much over 30% or stuff would start looking really bad. I know the HEI lenses on the gen 4 are supposed to be awesome and not have the hot spots like the older tir lenses.

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gen 4 Pro. And yeah I had it over my current tank for like a week to help with a clam I was holding for someone and it did amazing, until it bleached several corals, but dont worry I bought them back. And Yeah, I set high %s on the colors themselves, but have the intensity in the 20-30's with acclimation reducing it by 70% over four weeks.

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, I was really torn between the hydra hd and the gen4. I obviously opted to try the Hydra because I wanted to try something different and I liked the "diffused" type lenses they have but the radions are just awesome. If I had gone with the mp10s I def would have gotten the Radion though. How is the coverage with the xr15 on your tank?

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, I was really torn between the hydra hd and the gen4. I obviously opted to try the Hydra because I wanted to try something different and I liked the "diffused" type lenses they have but the radions are just awesome. If I had gone with the mp10s I def would have gotten the Radion though. How is the coverage with the xr15 on your tank?

Honestly there's moments where I'd want the Hydra just because of the ease of use. The XR has been a giant pain without ReefLink, and the coverage is pretty good. Little less on the edges but not too little of light where I couldn't grow Coral. I added my first Corals today though on a custom setting based on my AI setting. I'll post pictures when I get back home.

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a CUC today, several new Corals, and my new Rossmont 2100 gph pumps. A couple of hundred dollars later and my tank is just about done. Still need the waver and a heater for winter. Until then I think I can get by. I think I'll add two ORA clowns in a month or two.

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today or tomorrow I will be starting the transition to AquaForest Reef Salt. I will be doing 3-5 gallon water changes daily until I have changed about 40 gallons of water over two or so weeks. It all depends on my levels, but I will also be using some additives eventually. Anyone have experience with AF products?

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I bought all of the AF water that I could, 21 gallons, thanks to only having three water jugs. So I am thinking I will change the water, maybe 7 gallons every other day and head back to the LFS to pick up another 21 gallons, just to make sure I change over 100%. However, when I did the first water change today, I noticed some nice brown spots of algae on my rocks, I know its from it being a newer tank but any suggestions on how to remove it? My CUC doesnt seem to be doing anything to help. #ReefSquad ?

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I have and will continue to update the start of this thread with current equipment and livestock with the prices I have paid for them just for my own record and incase anyone has questions.

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have finally finished up with my first 21 gallons of the AF Salt. Tomorrow, hopefully if my direct deposit goes in today, I will pick up the Rossmont Waver Controller as well as 21 gallons of more AF Salt, maybe with 7 of them being the probiotic, I dont know yet. I also will be checking out one of my other reefers new shipments of coral. He said he has some nice Euphylllia and an amazing Rainbow Chalice. I already have a decent amount of SPS, LPS, and Euphyllia, so I am hoping to pick up something I have never owned before as well.

I also might be picking up some of the AquaForest Additives. The guy at my LFS who I have been working with suggested the following on my tank, he says he uses it on all of his tanks at home so I figured I might give it a shot, ABVE (Aminos, build, vitality &a energy) MG, CA and KH with components strong (balling method) iron, heavy metals, kalium, iodum, phosphate minus & life Bio fill all from AF with probiotic & reef salt.

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I did end up getting the Waver, 21 gallons of Af Reef Salt with a little Probiotic Salt mixed in, a Diamond Goby, 2 Olive Periscoping Snails, some Reef Roids, and some LRS Frozen Food.

So far I really like the AF salt, I am noticing great polyp extension and amazing colors. So far the only issues I am having in the tank are the algae bloom of either Diatoms of Dinos, I cant seem to get my BTA to move, and just dialing in my lights. The algae issues will hopefully go away when my water parameters finally balance out and if not, I think in a few weeks Ill send out my water for some ICP testing. The BTA will just stay where its at I guess, and I think i just have my lights a little to low, intensity wise, so I will slowly start to up them.

Other than that I am still deciding what types of Clowns I want to add to the tank and see if there are any other fish I might want to add, I am open to suggestions. Also I have my buddy at my favorite LFS searching for a Holy Grail Torch.

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I did end up getting the Waver, 21 gallons of Af Reef Salt with a little Probiotic Salt mixed in, a Diamond Goby, 2 Olive Periscoping Snails, some Reef Roids, and some LRS Frozen Food.

So far I really like the AF salt, I am noticing great polyp extension and amazing colors. So far the only issues I am having in the tank are the algae bloom of either Diatoms of Dinos, I cant seem to get my BTA to move, and just dialing in my lights. The algae issues will hopefully go away when my water parameters finally balance out and if not, I think in a few weeks Ill send out my water for some ICP testing. The BTA will just stay where its at I guess, and I think i just have my lights a little to low, intensity wise, so I will slowly start to up them.

Other than that I am still deciding what types of Clowns I want to add to the tank and see if there are any other fish I might want to add, I am open to suggestions. Also I have my buddy at my favorite LFS searching for a Holy Grail Torch.

Good luck on your clowns decision. I always have a hard time with all the options. I would also like to suggest a tail spot blenny. These guys have an awesome personality and interesting colors. Plus the ones I have had have been good algae grazers.

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about getting a Blenny the other day, do you have one or two? The only thing I am concerned about is it getting along with my Diamond Goby. What other fish do you have @Whisnantrider ?

I think I know I want an ORA Clown just to say I have something from ORA besides a piece of SPS, but man oh man thats going to cost a pretty penny.

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the one blenny, 2 dart fish and a gold flake maroon clown. You should be fine with the diamond goby. They stay in different areas of the tank and likely wouldn't infringe upon each other.

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on Saturday I ended up buying a nice red Ultra Trachy and a nice Indo Purpler Tip Elegance, both are doing extremely well. However, on Monday I woke up to my Tricolor 90% dead... I tried doing an iodine dip but that didnt help.

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my algae problem is almost solved, next to no growth over the past week or so, just might need to scrub some of it off next WC. The GF and I are going to a new LFS shop right down the street that opens on 9-2. It was a shop around 30 miles away but changed locations so I am hoping for a nice payday and hopefully to score on some amazing sales. The only thing I hate about the shop moving downtown is because of the average income where they were located and the new location, the prices are insane... Anyone else notice this near them? Shops in areas of a lower median income being cheaper than those in higher median income areas?

For example they have a nice SPS colony that was priced for $125 at their old location and the same exact colony at the new one is prices at $200

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my algae problem is almost solved, next to no growth over the past week or so, just might need to scrub some of it off next WC. The GF and I are going to a new LFS shop right down the street that opens on 9-2. It was a shop around 30 miles away but changed locations so I am hoping for a nice payday and hopefully to score on some amazing sales. The only thing I hate about the shop moving downtown is because of the average income where they were located and the new location, the prices are insane... Anyone else notice this near them? Shops in areas of a lower median income being cheaper than those in higher median income areas?

For example they have a nice SPS colony that was priced for $125 at their old location and the same exact colony at the new one is prices at $200

What I noticed is the shops near me that are most well know are more expensive. Litterally the same coral but with a made up name mixed with the store name or initials +$$ and sometimes +$$$ like they invented the dang thing.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back