Hey, Anyone want to talk about sales and stuff????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As somewhat of an old-ish bird at this point, I am going to try to refrain from any semblance of “remember when” here. Or try my best not to make this a sour flavored rant or indulgence, or a knock on this site itself. Not my intention here at all. But being that someone who has been around the block and been around this forum for over a decade now, and has watched it evolve, and contributed to the evolution of it, and even a sponsor myself who is about to promote a sale of his own, I just feel …oh I don’t know a little “off”, that there is this constant barrage of Super sales. And not “special” sales really, but the same kind of sales over and over again. Same vendors doing the same thing. I mean every month or every week even now. Same thing over and over. Nothing really “special” at all about these sales as they become totally routine. Copy and paste. Ultimately, contributing very little otherwise to the community or forum. I know that's ultimately what the sponsors forum is for but, it's kind of weird right?

And, I swear I am not trying to pick on any single vendor here I promise. I tried to time this when there wasn't any one vendor having a special sale. Because here’s the thing, as one of these voracious vendors, I intended to have my 3rd annual Superb Owl sale in February during Super Bowl weekend. But I was really busy with all the grow out contest stuff so I chose not to. I thought I would put it off a month maybe and do it in March or April. And here we are. And I’m thinking about clever ways to promote the sale, and I too even have this routine of doing this kind of look at me I'm quirky “antisale” gimmick, albeit not nearly as often. But I still seem to resort to the same tricks pretty much every time. This post actually illustrates that point pretty well.

But it’s still weird to me as a long time contributor of content and articles and stuff, other than sales over the years, to see what this platform has evolved into. It’s just kind of an interesting thing to have witnessed and experienced from my perspective. I’ve seen people and sponsors come and have seen some go. I’ve watched a number of my own customers cross over and become sponsors here themselves.

Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 1.56.09 PM.png

Don’t get me wrong though. I’m sure every sponsor on here will agree that this place is a pretty necessary lifeline. And very regular sales have indeed become part of that lifeline. Especially as competition grows more and more immense. But part of me is grateful and a little relieved even that I don’t have to rely as heavily on the traffic from Reef2reef to put food on the table as I used to. And as my own participation has regrettably ebbed a lot since the mid to late aughties era, that I spent way more time writing and opining on various reef subjects and engaging, than simply prompting sales, I am genuinely saddened that I don’t have as much time to devote to the forum as I used too. Believe me, doing those write ups and creating and having fun has always been a blast for me. But as my write ups and contributions became fewer and farther between and I know it, I too leaned and still lean on this site mostly to promote and not to contribute. Looking back I can say I either had more fire in my belly or just more free time my hands.

Anyway, if you’re still with me, Thank you! This is more of a stream of consciousness than a well polished write up for sure. But here’s where I’m at. I honestly can't stand all the sales. It's pretty ridicules if I'm being frank, but I also hate having zero income just as much. So, you could say I’m kind of struggling with the conflict of complaining about sales and telling everyone how much I dislike them and all, while fully intending to promote one myself. And will absolutely be having plenty more in the future and will probably use the same old tactics. (see end of paragraph 2)

I am however really curious. Are you guys in any way getting tired of, or feeling, "whatever-ish" or overwhelmed even about all the sales? Are you buying into the hype? Further, if you are some of the few, true blue, actual hobbyists left out there that isn’t also a vendor, how do you really navigate this page with all us vendors screaming and barking and flashing at you to buy their stuff? I honestly really would like to know. My perspective is way different than an average hobbyist and I'd like to hear from you. What is it like shopping for vendors and corals and info even in this kind of aggressively hyper-monotonous environment?

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a cereal poster in sale threads I will say there are some vendors I buy from and some o don't. But most of all, I am there for the community. Livesales are where I talk to @Gtinnel, @ktfloyd01, @Mr.OK and others.

There are some vendors that I can't stand. Mostly because it's self-aggrandizing gif filled rapid fire stress. But I'm there at the start till I get the gift card (I should use those), then I'm out. I'll be back in a month for the next one. Other vendors I like because they are (seem) fair and have fun. I hype their thread and play in the games, and sometimes buy coral.

Got more to say but food is here.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still a newbie at 2+ yrs in the hobby. I don’t mind the sales although 95% of them I do not participate in or even click on. I do like the availability of the multitude of sales available however. Reason is that my LFS is a good shop but they do not carry a lot of variety. Therefore I buy half or more of my corals online. Probably 99% all sps and 50% of others are from online sources strictly for the variety and the belief that I am getting a quality piece even if it is small and more money.

There are 4 vendors that I’ve purchased from with you included. My biggest thing is budget. I am not spending crazy money on A coral. ( unless you ask the wife maybe… but then she’d have to know all the prices too). So the sales at least allow me to buy from those trusted sources some nicer pieces that I would otherwise pass over. Acro high end mystery purchases are a great example. $40-$60 for a frag of something guaranteed in retail value is very doable compared to spending $250 for the same thing, because that’s not going to happen at least for now.
I have some people in the hobby locally who have seen my tank, and although it’s in its infancy stage, they do make the comments that I’ve got some nice coral with cool colors. Those are the ones I buy online at sale prices.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having an insane amount of sales doesn’t bother me because I only buy from 3 or maybe 4 vendors. So most of the time I just ignore all of the sale threads.
As prevalent as sales have become on this forum it makes me wonder if that is the only time many of the vendors get any reasonable number of orders, which basically forces them to constantly have gimmicky sales to stay profitable. As just a hobbyist it’s hard to buy at full price when you know there will be a sale soon, which I am very guilty of. Then that makes me wonder (suspect) that many vendors purposely inflate their regular prices to make their sales look more impressive, which just makes it even more likely that people won’t pay “regular” prices and will wait on a sale.

I do very much dislike the whole live sale format though. It causes people to make instant decisions on buying a coral and doesn’t allow them time to consider wether that coral actually has a chance of surviving in their tank.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't even go into one of the live sale events. I don't get it, it looks like a hot mess, and I have much better things to do with my time than sitting in some sale thread all day throwing money at my computer.

If you (not you specifically, Adam... but any vendor) want to have a sale run a sale on your website for a day or two where I can easily shop at my leisure.
Put a timer on each item that gets added to cart so if you don't check out within the next 10 mins or something it goes back up for sale.

That said, I don't buy a lot of coral online so my opinion is probably worth diddly squat. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I like your way of doing the sales. They feel special and the whole site is on sale - not just one very specific WYSIWYG page of some slightly discounted small frags. I can buy things I actually have on my wishlist.

I feel like the sales now are the same things over and over again with anything that is a decent deal getting bought out quickly - and I really hate the 'live sales' where you have to go through a specific link on R2R. I mean it's pretty much given there are going to be mothers day, memorial day, fathers day, and 4th of july sales from the bigger players... and in between those someone will probably decide to do a "F*** it it's Friday" sale also....

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dislike the live sales. I feel like it preys on my inner gambling instinct. At first it was fun... then it feels like a job, waiting for that must have coral, assuming it comes at all. I've gotten burned by sick $5 frags. I've gotten burned by "frags" that were clearly a chop shop job. I've gotten burned by snap judgments when the coral really doesn't fit my desired tank.

I'm done with live sales, but I know just because I'm done doesn't mean the gambler in most of us is.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only participated in a select few live sales and honestly probably won’t go back. As mentioned most of the time I’d participate to get a gift card and then maybe order if I got lucky with the coral I wanted. I’d much rather order from you at my convenience rather than spending a day on the forums (except your special 1 hour sale you have each year (at least I think it’s an hour long) I’d wait all day for that one)

That said it’s always fun getting into GIF competitions with some guys here on your threads. It seems to me the old school vendors do more traditional sales and the new school vendors do more of the live sale.

At the same time, I think a nice medium is to have a true flash sale, like the K-Mart Blue Light Specials (that probably dated me), of today only during this time all BattleBoxes will be 25% or whatever percentage off

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dislike the live sales. I feel like it preys on my inner gambling instinct. At first it was fun... then it feels like a job, waiting for that must have coral, assuming it comes at all. I've gotten burned by sick $5 frags. I've gotten burned by "frags" that were clearly a chop shop job. I've gotten burned by snap judgments when the coral really doesn't fit my desired tank.

I'm done with live sales, but I know just because I'm done doesn't mean the gambler in most of us is.
Tonight Show Comedian GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I dislike the “need” for sales to get prices that are fair. Coming from a retail background as a buyer, customers are price sensitive and I think you should sell more for less to build consistent sales and have a mix of prices to compliment that model. If I’m buying 39.99 coral all day long and I perceive that as a good value, pop a $65 one out there that’s a cut above and see if you can plus up the purchase.

Shipping costs being free at a certain threshold make sense - and you could again drive that additional sale if you price things strategically to come close to the free shipping threshold.

My biggest pet peeve is when I see something on sale “now $77 was $139” and when I go back to the website after this limited time sale the item is actually $109 or $119. Increasing the retail of an item to “give a deeper discount” is a big deal. Customers notice. Don’t think they are oblivious. At a time of inflation, even coral buyers are price sensitive.

That’s my 2 cents anyways. I’ve bought from you before way back in the day and I’m glad you’re still around. Your business model works - that’s what is important!

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dislike the “need” for sales to get prices that are fair. Coming from a retail background as a buyer, customers are price sensitive and I think you should sell more for less to build consistent sales and have a mix of prices to compliment that model. If I’m buying 39.99 coral all day long and I perceive that as a good value, pop a $65 one out there that’s a cut above and see if you can plus up the purchase.

Shipping costs being free at a certain threshold make sense - and you could again drive that additional sale if you price things strategically to come close to the free shipping threshold.

My biggest pet peeve is when I see something on sale “now $77 was $139” and when I go back to the website after this limited time sale the item is actually $109 or $119. Increasing the retail of an item to “give a deeper discount” is a big deal. Customers notice. Don’t think they are oblivious. At a time of inflation, even coral buyers are price sensitive.

That’s my 2 cents anyways. I’ve bought from you before way back in the day and I’m glad you’re still around. Your business model works - that’s what is important!
I agree that the "need" for sales to get fair prices is frustrating and it feels like a predatory pricing tactic. Customers are savvy and can quickly spot these tactics, which can erode trust and loyalty. I also dislike the idea of raising the retail price of an item to give a deeper discount during a sale, as it seems dishonest and manipulative. This kind of hyper-sales environment can create a sense of pressure and urgency that is not conducive to building long-term customer relationships. In today's market, customers are more price-sensitive than ever, and it's important for vendors to be transparent and honest in their pricing strategies.

XavierZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it feels like the "sale" prices are what things actually retail for, and they are pulling the old mark it up to cut it down routine.

Can't tell me a bland no name green acro frag less than an inch tall goes for $75 regularly, for it to be SUPER DUPER SALE SALE SALE price of $40!!!!

I refuse to buy from any vendor with this ludicrous live sales and all this crap polluting the forum, and I don't give a crap about names of the stuff I buy because I don't plan on pimping my tank out to make money off my hobby.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I can't stand all of the goofy sales. They just have a greasy used car salesman (no offense to non-greasy used car salesmen) vibe to me.

Fwiw, I don't even click on any of those and although I have yet to order from you (I absolutely do intend to do so), I click on every thread you post. I really appreciate all that you have contributed, and continue to contribute to the hobby.

This is a niche hobby, that has sub-niches (is that a word?). There's something for everyone and you have definitely carved out your place, and you seem to have a large, loyal following. I don't think that you are necessarily missing out on any business by not jumping on the live sale bandwagon. I think many respect the fact that you don't, and at this point, doing so could very well be counter productive.

What I've always found appealing about Battle Corals is the sense of genuine passion for the hobby that you portray (that's the perception that I get, anyway). While selling coral is obviously how you support your family, you do it with integrity and respect for the hobby, and fellow hobbyists. I think a lot of other vendors could learn a lot from you, but so long as they are pumping out hacked up mari colonies at a high volume I highly doubt that they would care to learn.

BunBunCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have mentioned, I don’t mind seeing all the sales posts because I typically stick with a handful of vendors I trust (to not send me skimpy frags, infested corals, or improperly (imo) priced corals). I don’t like the live sales on R2R because I feel rushed to make a quick decision and having ADHD on top of it makes my bank account cringe. I do enjoy the auctions some vendors use on their personal websites however. I’ve also learned to “shop around” because sometimes I can get the same coral at one place for a fraction of the cost elsewhere—and sometimes for a larger frag to top it off. With all the holidays quickly approaching like Mothers/Fathers Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, etc… I expect shady vendors to be price “fixing” and spamming emails like crazy. Being a savvy shopper doesn’t apply to just groceries, home appliances/goods, or even gas stations nowadays LOL.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mind the sales, some can actually be fun and something to do on a boring night. I prefer when lots of corals are dropped at once, not one by one.

In my opinion, these sales and also “named” “highend” corals is here to stay and those who don’t adapt with the times and make the changes, could eventually end up like Blockbuster video, Nokia, JC Penny, MySpace, etc, etc.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started on the Reef2Reef site and saw all the sales I was hitting a fair number. Now it’s been whittled down to 3 or 4 vendors. I’ll hang out for a bit on the other sales but it’s mainly just to say hi and see if there’s anything of interest happening. I like live sales where there’s interactivity and people having fun, not just watching drops of sometimes not very well priced corals happen. Some vendors I’ve seen claim multiple times through the year that it’s their best sale ever yayada. Makes me feel like I’m watching used car salesmen. So yes some are fun and worthwhile but I’m really starting to get tired of the “sale of the week “ .

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must admit the sales get me. Every time I’m thinking of coral and then you have a sale It brings me over the resistance and I buy a battle box.

One thing that usually come with the sales is pictures, lots and lots of pictures. When I look at your site you haven’t updated photos of many of you coral. I honestly have no idea what they would look like as a frag or colony so the prices seem random. Sometimes I even get frags from you that have no photos or listing at all so clearly you have more than Is listed.

I love your Battle boxes and the quality is second to none but I’m not sold on buying individual frags. Due to the low number of recent photos I Have no idea what they look like as frag or colony so the value isn’t there on any chase frag.

If you need/want to sell more I’d recommend posting more photos here as you cut them and really showing off the collection. Obviously that’s more work so if you don’t need the extra business and are happy with things as they are then don’t change anything.

But yeah sales, the work that’s why Kohl’s and Macy’s are always heaving a sale and JC Penny fired their ceo for doing up front prices.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Battlecorals is one of the handful of vendors I trust to sell healthy, pest free acros and I’d definitely checkout a sale thread of theirs, if it happens.
If I had room I would too. Honestly would love if BC brought in some more of the named popular coral so I could buy it from a clean source.
Who else do you trust? I honestly don’t trust anyone else.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had room I would too. Honestly would love if BC brought in some more of the named popular coral so I could buy it from a clean source.
Who else do you trust? I honestly don’t trust anyone else.
Agreed. With this and what you said about more and updated pics above. I used to go to the Battlecorals site often to see if there was anything new. But after seeing the Bathman and Semasee at the top of the newsest corals list for so long, I eventually stopped.
In regards to who else I trust, in addition to Battlecorals, message me. I don’t think it’s appropriate to say, in this forum.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back