Hey, Anyone want to talk about sales and stuff????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
lol! classic! I thought you were just making fun of me there lol. I totally did the print thing
Haha I totally wasn’t! And I was legit about the photos. These things are Van Gogh quality. I love that you’re doing this - it’s a bit tongue in cheek- but very cool and is something I’d decorate a fish room with.

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, been toying with this idea for a while now, but anytime I browse my wholesalers LPS, Im kind of blown away at the cost of this stuff Eve n at Wholesale. I mean the thought of marking the stuff up just seems crazy to me.

But I have been very seriously considering taking one of my 11'x4' tanks off-line of the main and running it as an independent LPS, or essentially non-SPS tank. It's a big move for me, but I've been thinking about it a lot more lately.
Let’s do it! Not so many reliable coral dealers. It’s about time we have fair prices and a steady supply of hammers, torches, zoas, and weeping willows. I will be honored to be your first customer. I don’t need any crap sales I just want consistent pricing around the board that is fair for everyone. Some of the zoas and torches being sold are just outrageous and I don’t think it’s due to difficulty to frag and grow from my very limited knowledge…

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 or 7 years ago when I got into the coral game I used to love the live auctions. 2 or 3 hrs of posting sps,lps,zoas…. Post mine ,take, or want to win coral. That was a blast! If you didn’t pay you were banned from site

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Let’s do it! Not so many reliable coral dealers. It’s about time we have fair prices and a steady supply of hammers, torches, zoas, and weeping willows. I will be honored to be your first customer. I don’t need any crap sales I just want consistent pricing around the board that is fair for everyone. Some of the zoas and torches being sold are just outrageous and I don’t think it’s due to difficulty to frag and grow from my very limited knowledge…
You’re making it hard to say no :). Honestly though I really appreciated the sentiment. This is the kind of feedback that will help sway me over!

Sneak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post, and as a new reefer, it was nauseating to realize that every week - there is a new "sale" with that nice, $1500 torch, now discounted to only $499. It is kind of annoying to see, but I can see how this method creates success in sales. Some of this kind of stuff leaves a bad taste in my mouth. At the end of the day, I hope vendors realize that I'm not clicking on their post for their "sales". I'm clicking because they have something that I want. And when I click, I would rather be greeted with an actual price, rather than a "3 hours left on this sale, buy now!" price. But maybe that's just my unlucky experience as a new reefer!

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fully support the honesty here! In and outside of the hobby I never really believe anything is a sale. Previously working in the mortgage industry as a banker(sales person) with one of the top companies in America showed me early on a sale isn’t usually a sale. The fact that you point this out as a vendor does lend to your constitutions. Having ordered from you I have read many of your threads and commented on a few and I do believe this one can bring some scrutiny but ultimately paints a vision of your character. I don’t follow your prices enough to say one sale is a true sale and others are just click bait but again I appreciate you honest and believe it does paint a picture or your character.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Haha I totally wasn’t! And I was legit about the photos. These things are Van Gogh quality. I love that you’re doing this - it’s a bit tongue in cheek- but very cool and is something I’d decorate a fish room with.
right on. I am all about tongue in cheek really :) thanks for the post!

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, been toying with this idea for a while now, but anytime I browse my wholesalers LPS, Im kind of blown away at the cost of this stuff Eve n at Wholesale. I mean the thought of marking the stuff up just seems crazy to me.

But I have been very seriously considering taking one of my 11'x4' tanks off-line of the main and running it as an independent LPS, or essentially non-SPS tank. It's a big move for me, but I've been thinking about it a lot more lately.
I have a lot of space left in the lower part of the tank if you pick worthy candidates. The top is full of your stuff already. I never bought any lps because I don’t know a trustworthy source.

Also for what it’s worth I figured you would have probably packed the box roughly the same sale or not.

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had room I would too. Honestly would love if BC brought in some more of the named popular coral so I could buy it from a clean source.
Who else do you trust? I honestly don’t trust anyone else.
Most likely BC has the same coral with a different name. That doesn’t help much for reselling frags, but most vendors are peddling the same corals under different names with photos set at different settings and various amounts of photoshop that makes them look different and special.

Adam take more photos please.

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live sales and advertising them so heavily doesn’t bother me much on the forum as they are easily ignored. Most vendors including yourself have individual corals listed at high prices I am unwilling to pay. In my experience it’s best to just search the marketplace for a fellow reefer selling at reasonable prices. There are multiple trusted sources on here that sell amazing frags for what I consider a deal compared to the original vendor. There are also a few that have giant list that charge ridiculous prices just like the vendor.

I promised a few years back that i would buy a battle box from you. I will keep that promise. Your contribution to the hobby and your overall attitude compel me to support you and your business. And quite honestly all your reviews and reefer support makes me trust you and the value of your battle box.

However, I’d rather you adjust your prices and give a pack discount and call that a battle-box. Maybe buy 5 or more and get an additional 5% off for each frag past 5 up to 40%. I don’t know the exact process but it would really suck to buy a battle box and get awesome frags, but to find out I already have some or VERY similar variants. It’s early, hope it doesn’t sound too negative. I Keep up with battlecorals and watch all the live streams you have you have been a part of. Keep up the great work and sharing your opinion and experiences. Thank you

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dislike the idea that the sales are marketed as heavily discounted. A shop can have a live sale happen once a month and you’ll see the same frags for sale each month for the same price.

It really feels like live sales are more like our next batch of healed frags are now ready to be sold.
I don’t think they need to stop, in fact I do think it’s good for the hobby if shops do large fragging sessions and wait for them to heal and then put them all on sale. It makes like a schedule that works.
The timed drops are very fun for like I wonder what’s new.

But I do wish they didn’t say up to 90% off thousands of corals! And I do think after sales should kinda stop, it’s like telling everyone who bought during the sale could have paid less.

Edit: Because of you can get the coral type for a price a weekend every month. It just feels like it’s everyday price, and don’t miss out if you didn’t buy now. Instead deep discounts should be saved for like twice a year, so it feels like limited time price

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live sales and advertising them so heavily doesn’t bother me much on the forum as they are easily ignored. Most vendors including yourself have individual corals listed at high prices I am unwilling to pay. In my experience it’s best to just search the marketplace for a fellow reefer selling at reasonable prices. There are multiple trusted sources on here that sell amazing frags for what I consider a deal compared to the original vendor. There are also a few that have giant list that charge ridiculous prices just like the vendor.

I promised a few years back that i would buy a battle box from you. I will keep that promise. Your contribution to the hobby and your overall attitude compel me to support you and your business. And quite honestly all your reviews and reefer support makes me trust you and the value of your battle box.

However, I’d rather you adjust your prices and give a pack discount and call that a battle-box. Maybe buy 5 or more and get an additional 5% off for each frag past 5 up to 40%. I don’t know the exact process but it would really suck to buy a battle box and get awesome frags, but to find out I already have some or VERY similar variants. It’s early, hope it doesn’t sound too negative. I Keep up with battlecorals and watch all the live streams you have you have been a part of. Keep up the great work and sharing your opinion and experiences. Thank you
If you tell Adam what you have he’s pretty good at sending you stuff that doesn’t overlap. That’s what I do

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you tell Adam what you have he’s pretty good at sending you stuff that doesn’t overlap. That’s what I do
It's even better if you have a vision for.your tank, Adam will pick corals that accent and grow well together based on your personal taste, but he can't do that if you don't tell him!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Thanks for the input. Really appreciate the perspective. Generally speaking anything I have that’s priced in the stupid range is something I have very little of. And stuff I have plenty of will be well below typical market pricing Most of my pricing is based on this model over any sort of current market value. Boxes end up being way cheaper by comparison as well. these are hard to beat in that regard.

as well I take any and all direction on boxes including specific requests all the time. And by that I mean you’ll get lots of pieces you want for way less than site prices. 90% of my sales are battleboxes with specific requirements

As well I do make custom packs all the time as well have for years. You just need to shoot me a list and I’ll do the best I can for you always.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever you think of sales, sales work, ive spent close to 2k on frags so far this year. Ive never spent that much money on frags in such a short period of time. Both times saying im only going to spend 200 :p I did get some really good deals though ha ha . Im a small business owner and we do sales and we loose money on every single one of them. But im far sighted and if I gain one or two customers from the sale over the long term it is worth it for me. Just my thoughts. Please please please dont have a sale I can not afford it ! ....and if you do,,,do not include a receipt in the box :)

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please please please dont have a sale I can not afford it ! LOL....and if you do,,,do not include a receipt in the box :)
That's the 'Happy SO special' Some places charge extra for that.

"Okay so that's sixteen '10 dollar bargain frags' and a 'No Homewrecker Upcharge'

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
As somewhat of an old-ish bird at this point, I am going to try to refrain from any semblance of “remember when” here. Or try my best not to make this a sour flavored rant or indulgence, or a knock on this site itself. Not my intention here at all. But being that someone who has been around the block and been around this forum for over a decade now, and has watched it evolve, and contributed to the evolution of it, and even a sponsor myself who is about to promote a sale of his own, I just feel …oh I don’t know a little “off”, that there is this constant barrage of Super sales. And not “special” sales really, but the same kind of sales over and over again. Same vendors doing the same thing. I mean every month or every week even now. Same thing over and over. Nothing really “special” at all about these sales as they become totally routine. Copy and paste. Ultimately, contributing very little otherwise to the community or forum. I know that's ultimately what the sponsors forum is for but, it's kind of weird right?

And, I swear I am not trying to pick on any single vendor here I promise. I tried to time this when there wasn't any one vendor having a special sale. Because here’s the thing, as one of these voracious vendors, I intended to have my 3rd annual Superb Owl sale in February during Super Bowl weekend. But I was really busy with all the grow out contest stuff so I chose not to. I thought I would put it off a month maybe and do it in March or April. And here we are. And I’m thinking about clever ways to promote the sale, and I too even have this routine of doing this kind of look at me I'm quirky “antisale” gimmick, albeit not nearly as often. But I still seem to resort to the same tricks pretty much every time. This post actually illustrates that point pretty well.

But it’s still weird to me as a long time contributor of content and articles and stuff, other than sales over the years, to see what this platform has evolved into. It’s just kind of an interesting thing to have witnessed and experienced from my perspective. I’ve seen people and sponsors come and have seen some go. I’ve watched a number of my own customers cross over and become sponsors here themselves.

Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 1.56.09 PM.png

Don’t get me wrong though. I’m sure every sponsor on here will agree that this place is a pretty necessary lifeline. And very regular sales have indeed become part of that lifeline. Especially as competition grows more and more immense. But part of me is grateful and a little relieved even that I don’t have to rely as heavily on the traffic from Reef2reef to put food on the table as I used to. And as my own participation has regrettably ebbed a lot since the mid to late aughties era, that I spent way more time writing and opining on various reef subjects and engaging, than simply prompting sales, I am genuinely saddened that I don’t have as much time to devote to the forum as I used too. Believe me, doing those write ups and creating and having fun has always been a blast for me. But as my write ups and contributions became fewer and farther between and I know it, I too leaned and still lean on this site mostly to promote and not to contribute. Looking back I can say I either had more fire in my belly or just more free time my hands.

Anyway, if you’re still with me, Thank you! This is more of a stream of consciousness than a well polished write up for sure. But here’s where I’m at. I honestly can't stand all the sales. It's pretty ridicules if I'm being frank, but I also hate having zero income just as much. So, you could say I’m kind of struggling with the conflict of complaining about sales and telling everyone how much I dislike them and all, while fully intending to promote one myself. And will absolutely be having plenty more in the future and will probably use the same old tactics. (see end of paragraph 2)

I am however really curious. Are you guys in any way getting tired of, or feeling, "whatever-ish" or overwhelmed even about all the sales? Are you buying into the hype? Further, if you are some of the few, true blue, actual hobbyists left out there that isn’t also a vendor, how do you really navigate this page with all us vendors screaming and barking and flashing at you to buy their stuff? I honestly really would like to know. My perspective is way different than an average hobbyist and I'd like to hear from you. What is it like shopping for vendors and corals and info even in this kind of aggressively hyper-monotonous environment?
Mostly I ignore it. There are only a handful of vendors I’m usually interested in buying from so I ignore all of the other “noise” and unless I’m “in the market” for some new coral I mostly ignore those as well. I don’t have a lot of extra space and I currently more than enough coral I need to grow out. So while I love getting new stuff I’m mostly on the sideline. When I do see something I just have to have then I start looking for sales from the vendors that, one I like and, two might have what I’m looking for.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mostly I ignore it. There are only a handful of vendors I’m usually interested in buying from so I ignore all of the other “noise” and unless I’m “in the market” for some new coral I mostly ignore those as well. I don’t have a lot of extra space and I currently more than enough coral I need to grow out. So while I love getting new stuff I’m mostly on the sideline. When I do see something I just have to have then I start looking for sales from the vendors that, one I like and, two might have what I’m looking for.
yeah I think this is about where i'd be as well if I was just looking for info more and occasionally a purchase on here as well. thanks for the input!

Back