Hey Boom Corals customers - help me decide this!

Discussion in 'Boom Corals' started by BoomCorals, Feb 2, 2018.

?
  1. Ship right away, but less in stock

11 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. Cut to order, but more in stock

39 vote(s)
    78.0%
  1. BoomCorals

BoomCorals www.boomcorals.com R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor Toys For Kids Sponsor

So now that I am moving to almost exclusively SPS, I have a question for you all! Currently, the way I handle inventory is that I acquire/cut frags based upon what I think the demand is going to be. The upside to this is that I can often have inventory ready to ship quickly, sometimes even the day the order is placed. The downside though, is that if I guess wrong, I have frag rack space taken up by coral that people don't buy, while another coral I didn't cut as much of that people do want goes out of stock because I don't have the room to cut more of it. So, I have more stuff out of stock even though I could cut/acquire more of it.

I am considering moving to an inventory method that would instead be that I cut or acquire coral when ordered. The upside there is that I would be able to have more items "in stock" listed on my website. The downside being that most orders would need at least a two week lead/wait time before shipping.

I know that vendors use both methods with much success. So my question is, what do YOU as the customers prefer?

Zack K and Crabs Mcjones like this.
    Tags:

2. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I feel that with the quality of your corals, i'd be more then willing to wait to get it from you if it means that you can actually get a wider variety instead of limited stock :)

EmdeReef, JoshH, dricc and 1 other person like this.
  3. Zack K

Zack K The LPS Guy R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

+1. Also a good variety I feel pulls in a good variety of customers from New beginners To those advanced SPS guys. Just my opinion.

-Zack

EmdeReef, dricc and Crabs Mcjones like this.
  4. Scdell

Scdell Active Member

Hmmm, no clear answer there. What about higher end stuff cut to order and lower priced stuff ready to ship? This is probably no help to you. I would have to say I'd rather not wait unless it was something I "must" have.

5. Mallard

Mallard Valuable Member R2R Supporter

I would add two sections, one for WYSIWYG and another for Cut to Order. That sets the proper expectation for the customer based on the section they are in. If you order from Cut to Order section, it'll be 1 - 2 weeks before it will be ready.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  6. BoomCorals

BoomCorals www.boomcorals.com R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor Toys For Kids Sponsor

The problem with a hybrid approach is that it is twice as much work. :) If I have to manage one inventory method with a wysiwyg/general stock, and another as a cut to order, it makes it more difficult to manage. And, from a customer standpoint, it can be confusing too for some people as it makes ordering from my site more complex.

EmdeReef, Crreef, dricc and 2 others like this.
  7. ClowinRound

ClowinRound Well-Known Member

good idea

Crabs Mcjones likes this.
  8. RedSox81

RedSox81 Active Member

I agree with this. If I’m buying high end sps I don’t mind waiting 1-2 weeks heal time.

Ergodyne likes this.
  9. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

And adding twice as much work is no good when you still have a full time job on top of your coral business :)

EmdeReef, JoshH, Zack K and 1 other person like this.
  10. Jeepguy242

Jeepguy242 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

If it was easy they wouldn’t call it work

This is the same problem every retail store owner faces. We do at my gun shop daily.

If you figure it out let me know. Lol

BoomCorals and Crabs Mcjones like this.
  11. Scdell

Scdell Active Member

Sounds like it's called "growing pains". There may not be a clear answer.

Braves Fan and Jeepguy242 like this.
  12. BoomCorals

Thanks, keep the feedback coming. :)

Jeepguy242 and Crabs Mcjones like this.
  13. BoomCorals

Be sure you guys vote too, to help tally results for me.

Crabs Mcjones likes this.
  14. rob safron

rob safron Active Member

Cut to order. Everyone is different but I like to get larger peices, maybe not 6 inch colonies but at least large enough to cut off the plug, glue on a rock and be able to see it without binoculars. Hard to find from any vendor, Most sell 3/4 to 1 inch.

15. BoomCorals

lol @ binoculars :D

Zack K likes this.
  16. BoomCorals

You know that's kind of another positive I could add to the "cut to order" method. You could choose frag sizes. I could put into inventory that I could cut say 4 frags of 3/4", 2 of 1.25" and 2 of 1.5" multi branch, etc so on.

Zack K, Scdell and Jeepguy242 like this.
  17. ClowinRound

ClowinRound Well-Known Member

one of the problems I see with the cut to order only option is waiting (2 weeks) for a coral that is common or not new, and available another competitors web site as ready to go.

WWIII, Zack K and Jeepguy242 like this.
  18. BoomCorals

Also a good point.

19. vanpire

vanpire Active Member

This is very true for some people but others like me prefer quality. I have much better experiences with healed frags and those just cut that you could get from another vendor.

With you experience, you can use statistics to pre-cut some corals that you are fairly confident will sell quickly and have it as in stock now. For others, you list it as "cut to order."

Van.

Jeepguy242, dricc and BoomCorals like this.
  20. ajhudson15

ajhudson15 Active Member

what if you make the cut to order section cheaper shipping or if you make your minimum order lower for free shipping just in that section. might make people order more out of that section if they can save some on shipping.

Jeepguy242 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted