Hey Boom Corals customers - help me decide this!

Discussion in 'Boom Corals' started by BoomCorals, Feb 2, 2018.

?
  1. Ship right away, but less in stock

11 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. Cut to order, but more in stock

39 vote(s)
    78.0%
  1. dragon99

dragon99 Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I typically prefer to order something in stock that's ready to ship. It just feels more transparent to me.

But honestly, whichever is going to be cheaper. So whichever method costs you less overhead and let's you keep prices lower is my vote.

2. LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay Active Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I haven't ordered from you yet, but plan to within the next month or so! I would be okay with waiting 1-2 weeks because there are currently a couple on your site that are listed as Out Of Stock that I really want!

3. PatW

PatW Well-Known Member

I take time to place an order. I would not mind waiting a couple of weeks. But if I wait, I would want either a firm date for the shipping OR an email notification with a chance to ask for a few days delay if I was not going to be home to receive it.

EmdeReef likes this.
  4. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I'm impulsive and impatient. We have Amazon Prime and that has spoiled us with regards to online shopping. When I decide I want to get something (anything) and then spend time figuring out what brand/model (whatever) and finally make a decision I want to then go to Checkout NOW. I get uppity when the shipping notification comes days later.
    BUT
    That does not work well with reefing. Things need to be better planned, thought out, and preparations made. So if I can complete my checkout while my mind is focused on the exercise GREAT! If I then have to wait 2-3 weeks until the order ships, this just gives me time to prepare. So I voted 'Cut to order'.

5. dricc

dricc Active Member R2R Supporter

I'm willing to wait. It' s not like it's an emergency medical procedure.

EmdeReef and crabs_mcjones like this.
  6. Dirtrider225

Dirtrider225 Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

+1 on wysiwyg. Honestly I do not even place orders if it isnt. I understand the amount of work that goes into that for the vendor (you) and appreciate it greatly as a customer. The exception to the above is if i am ordering a surprise pack or a very generic coral.

Alternatively if wysiwyg is not an option, in most cases I would prefer the ship sooner method than the cut to order method.

With whatever route you decide is best for you as a businessman, I wish you continued success, i really like what you are doing by selling Man frags and not nubs.

EmdeReef, JoshH, Jeepguy242 and 2 others like this.
  7. BoomCorals

BoomCorals www.boomcorals.com R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor Toys For Kids Sponsor

The way I operate is that I NEVER ship unless I have gotten an exact date set by you as to when you want to receive it. I've had people hold orders over a month because of weather/vacations/etc, and when time comes to ship, I ask them when they want to receive it.

EmdeReef, JoshH and Jeepguy242 like this.
  8. BoomCorals

BoomCorals www.boomcorals.com R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor Toys For Kids Sponsor

I will admit I used to do a lot more WYSIWYG but it is a TON more work, and I had to charge more for the frags because of the amount of work and effort involved. When I was doing it, I would say that the WYSIWYG work alone was 3x the time in man hours that the entire rest of my business was. I still do some now and then.

Scdell likes this.
  9. Mallard

Mallard Valuable Member R2R Supporter

If it takes that much extra, you could continue with your current setup, but add a section for "Cut to Order".

10. chris3del

chris3del Member

I see a lot of vendors that there WYSIWYG section never has anything and they only mainly have cut to order. Which I’m most cases is a nub with an unreasonable price tag attached to it. I would love to see both though!

Scdell likes this.
  11. BoomCorals

The cut to order or general stock that I'm doing currently doesn't take that much extra. It's the WYSIWYG stuff that takes a ton of time.
    I do think the WYSIWYG sells better, but it does have to come at a bit of a premium due to the time involved.

Scdell likes this.
  12. Scdell

Scdell Member

Shipping is the most expensive part of buying oral online. Most sellers lose money on shipping. I think? They already discount it to get you to buy. Absolutely nothing anyone can do about shipping. It's out of their hands. Talk to ups or fed ex.

13. Scdell

Scdell Member

I prefer wysiwyg. I want to know what I'm buying. I want to see if it's encrusted, Doing well, etc.

14. BoomCorals

Very true. My average cost to ship including box and bags, heat/cool pack, etc, is $56 per order.

JoshH and Zack Klabunde like this.
  15. tautog83

tautog83 Well-Known Member

well i like wsiwyg but if its going to cost more just send me the pic the day before lol

EmdeReef and Zack Klabunde like this.
  16. Scdell

Scdell Member

And I for one appreciate that.

Zack Klabunde likes this.
  17. rob safron

rob safron Active Member

What do you have in stock now that can be cut 3-4 in, anything?

18. BoomCorals

3” the only ones I’m comfortable at that size are:
    ORA Neon green birds nest. Boom’s Secale. Unicorn snot. Cliffs acro. ORA purple Stylo. ORA German blue digi. ORA blue voodoo. ORA scripps stag. Booms blueberry stag. Limitless stag. ORA sour apple birds nest. Miyagi tort.

And super expensive that size- Maybe wwc ding dang Millie, snipers bubblegum millie, maybe wet thumbs TDF

19. Scdell

Scdell Member

I'm going to get that bubblegum millie soon. I really like millies.

20. Scdell

Scdell Member

Seems to me after reading all this that there needs to be some changes made in the industry. I had a tank about 15-20 years ago. Sps was just getting started back then. Whew, it was hit and miss. Basically you were stuck with what your LFS had in stock. Prices were fair at the time. Survival rate wasn't. Internet was not even a thing back then. You bought a book to learn from.
    Don't get me wrong, things are much better now. I got back into it about 8 months ago. I had the itch all this time.
    I have learned more in the last 8 months than I learned in the 5 years I had the previous tank. But there is a lot of contradictory info out there on the "web". Smart people sort through this.
    It seems to me the "designer jeans" people took over with wanting the latest, greatest named coral out there. Hence driving the price through the roof. I for one will never spend $499 for a "named" frag. Un named frags do just as well and can be even superior to so called named frags. I don't need Walt Disney or home wrecker frags. I do need frags that are well establisned, not cut, glued and shipped.
    I do understand the business aspect of it all. You need to sell what people want to make money. That is why you're into it. To make money. And you deserve to make money. I'm sure it's alot of work.
    Just look on wwc site. They name everything some exotic name and sell you a 1/4 inch frag for $75 and up. This is just crazy, but they have a reputation and built their business that way. More power to them.
    Soooo, what am I trying to say after all this?
    We all have a small fortune invested in equipment, supplements etc.
    We will support and buy from a company that doesn't empty our pockets any more than they need to.
    In the long run I don't think it matters if we wait or if we get it right away. As long as we don't feel ripped off.
    I must say I have watched your threads on r2r for a while before I bought from you. I liked what you were about. I liked what you had to offer, and I liked your willingness to cater to us. That is customer appreciation to the finest. And that is why I bought from you. I felt a connection with you and your company even though we never talked with each other. Please dont lose that!
    Now, if you can afford to keep that up? I understand if you couldnt.

EmdeReef, JoshH and BoomCorals like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted