Hey Boom Corals customers - help me decide this!

Discussion in 'Boom Corals' started by BoomCorals, Feb 2, 2018.

?
  1. Ship right away, but less in stock

11 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. Cut to order, but more in stock

39 vote(s)
    78.0%
  1. Braves Fan

Braves Fan Valuable Member

My 2 cents worth :)

First off ,, I only buy SPS corals from companies that go well above and beyond, when it comes to selling pest free corals ,, I don't have a QT tank set up ,, so I have to buy corals from only those companies that have earned my trust to do the QT for me,, you buy a coral from a lesser company,, just dipping the corals one time before it goes into your display tank ,,, just won't do ,, you have to have a QT set up to get those eggs ,,, if the frags cost more ,, so be it,, its the price I will pay for quality, pest free corals,,,

The way my work is ,, I can't plan a coral delivery around my days off ,, they snatch my day off away from me the day before my day off,, all the time ,,, makes it hard to plan a coral delivery :( I have to plan a vacation day well in advance ,,, to assure I will be home for the delivery ,, case in point ,,, I planned a vacation day for February 8th ,, I have coral shipments coming in from 3 companies :) Boom Corals was going to be the 4th company ,, went to the site to see what I could order the other day ,,, saw you weren't shipping corals due to tank maintenance %#@&%#@&

My point ,,, cut to order wouldn't bother me in the least :) Any non SPS coral I buy ,,, I only buy WYSIWYG ,,, SPS corals,, the companies I buy from ,,, if they don't have a WYSIWYG section ,,, they have earned my trust to send me a quality frag ,,, if they don't ,,, they come off the list ,,, what ever you decide to do is fine with me,, you will retain my business no matter what that decision is ,,,

EmdeReef likes this.

2. BoomCorals

BoomCorals www.boomcorals.com R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor Toys For Kids Sponsor

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry about the no shipping but I need to get this maintenance done it’s way overdue! :) Also always know that if you set a ship date with me and you need to change it even the morning of the ship date, I can do that. :) I’m a small one man shop and that allows me to give individual service.

3. BoomCorals

BoomCorals www.boomcorals.com R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor Toys For Kids Sponsor

I created this business because I wanted to be THE affordable frag vendor. I put a lot of effort into finding quality but affordable frags. Even my Walt Disney I often sell at a lower price than most hobbyists. I would love to grow my business but I will never charge a ton of money on frags. I know this won’t make me rich, and probably means I’ll never quit my day job. But I’m in this to make some extra cash for the family while doing something I enjoy.

dricc and Scdell like this.
  4. EmdeReef

EmdeReef Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Nothing good happens fast in this hobby, I generally don’t mind waiting 1-2+ weeks to get good quality corals and avoid large online retailers both because of somewhat lower quality control and a greater need for quarantine etc.

It depends what kind of business model you want to pursue. Continue with being somewhat more of a specialty store or grow with volume. One challenge for small businesses that pursue the latter is maintaining quality. Not impossible though.

Neither is an inherently bad model but both come with pros and cons and imply different financial and competitive considerations.

BoomCorals likes this.
  5. wish

wish Valuable Member R2R Supporter

I think you have enough info where its what you can do and how much time you have since
    you have full time job. What you would like to do more? I have a hobby making silkscreen
    t shirts and its the same problems. Lower price higher volume and less choices or higher
    quality less volume. Whatever your choice you have the love for it so keep it up and whatever
    your choice ... you still will get my business!

BoomCorals and EmdeReef like this.
  6. Scdell

Scdell Active Member

I'll bet you don't have anymore of a clue as to what to do right now than you did when you started this thread? Lol.
    A lot of good ideas. You'll know and figure it out. You had an inclination of which way you wanted to go when you put this thread up. Follow that. Sometimes the original idea is the best one! Good luck and let us know.

Braves Fan likes this.
  7. DogueDeBordeaux

DogueDeBordeaux Active Member

The pros- You can order the corals you really want to fill the box instead of 2-3 frags you want, but add couple more to make you feel better about shipping.
    Do you have a sample sps list of what you could/can order?
    If you can do 2-3 weeks from ordered to shipped, and not months, great.

8. BoomCorals

Thanks to everyone who commented and voted. This was very helpful to me, and I do try to make changes based on customer feedback and what you all want from your Boom Corals "experience". :)

So, going forward here is what I'll be doing over the next few weeks -

1. I will be modifying the description of every coral on my website to indicate that the coral is either:
    a. Cut to order, and will require at least a 2 week heal time
    b. Usually readily available to ship right away

Frags that I know I can sell on a regular basis will generally be readily available. Just a few examples are: Red Planet, Tierra Del Fuego, Ding Dang Millepora, TCK Pikachu, WWC Yellow Tip. Everything else will be cut to order. Just a few examples are Sniper's Bubblegum Millepora, Boom's Lemon Tort, ORA Frogskin, etc.

2. I will be changing more images on my site to mother colony pictures instead of sample frags. But, EVERY coral on my site will continue to have sizing in the description. I want you to know exactly what you should expect to receive. There is nothing that drives me crazier than going to buy coral on a site and you can't find any idea of sizing anywhere, and pictures alone even with WYSIWYG can be misleading since you don't know the frag plug size either. I've bought frags that looked big only to receive them and they were on the small plug size which made them look a lot larger than they actually were.

3. I will put more effort into offering WYSIWYG frags again. Most of them will be frags that have been healing a while and are well encrusted. But this does mean they'll cost a little more, because the heal time will be 4-6+ weeks and it's also WYSIWYG which takes more time on my part. There will be a new WYSIWYG section added to the menu on my website once I have pieces to offer up for sale.

I decided to go this route because I think it helps me solve several issues with inventory, while still giving my customers what they want. It will allow me to continue to keep prices low, overhead low, and maintain good service!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Krzydmnd, Z3speed4me and Scdell like this.
  9. Z3speed4me

Z3speed4me Active Member

Like others said and it appears you are on the same page; offering and receiving quality takes the cake... even if it's a common frag that's $20 bucks, I'd rather wait for a nicer and healed and likely larger frag to be received than some pathetic junk some other places offer.

For those that have purchased from you (or any other seller for that matter)....after you receive your first shipment, especially if it is a few items, an understanding of what a seller offers is established.

I feel it may be harder to get "new" buyers with just mother colony photos, but possibly adding a "typical" picture of a frag for reference would also help. That way they can see what the expectation is, and not be blind as to what they will receive, especially when many new in the hobby are used to what they receive from alternatives on the market and would be pleasantly surprised by what you send out.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Braves Fan and BoomCorals like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted