Hey boss, here are the ATO plans for final approval!

JeffLED

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time reefer here, and I FINALLY own a house that is suitable for the display aquarium I have always wanted. The current setup is a custom 165 gallon with a Trigger Systems Ruby Sump in the stand that has been running for about 9 months, and I am finally ready to start automating/upgrading. The first item I want to add is ATO. I have performed extensive research on Reef2Reef (what a great resource) and totally appreciate the benefit of having high/low tech redundancies in place. After studying some systems and plans, can someone take a look at the design I am proposing and either confirm it sounds prudent or provide any recommendations based on their own personal experience? Thanks in advance for everyone's time and energy!

Here is the plan:
Based on rough estimates, I will need approximately 4 gallons of RODI water/week to satisfy the evaporation needs of my aquarium. I intend to utilize an ATO reservoir of less than 5 gallons with the APEX ATK. I intend to also utilize a <5 gallon RODI pressurized holding tank in the basement next to the RODI unit. The RODI unit would fill the pressurized tank with approximately 4 gallons of RODI water. An electronic solenoid would be located between the pressurized tank and the RODI reservoir which would open for 20 minutes once or twice per week. This serves two purposes. 1st it will prevent the pressurized tank from filling to often eliminating TDS creep, and second, it introduces the first level of redundancy by preventing the RODI unit from over filling the reservoir. In addition, the sump COULD accommodate the entirety of the 4 gallons of RODI water from the holding tank in the event of a failure. This is another redundancy, and finally I will likely add a float valve in the reservoir as an added level of redundancy.

The APEX ATK would be used as recommended with the high/low water level and the PMUP being located inside the reservoir to fill the sump. Finally, I will probably add leak detection sensors around the failure points as an added form of redundancy, but I'm most curious about the ATO plan.
I have an option of wall mounting the ATO reservoir on the wall behind the aquarium and using a gravity fed method for ATO, but I was concerned about using float valves inside the sump with possible failures.
How does it look?!

ATO.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should start a build thread!

OP
OP
JeffLED

JeffLED

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should start a build thread!
I gotta tell ya, I must have read about 1000 pages on reef2reef for every post I actually make- I’m prob still in the single digits. I’ll definitely think about putting it together in a build thread. Considering I’m a rookie, did I post this question in the correct place?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta tell ya, I must have read about 1000 pages on reef2reef for every post I actually make- I’m prob still in the single digits. I’ll definitely think about putting it together in a build thread. Considering I’m a rookie, did I post this question in the correct place?

It's fine here. And if you do a build thread, some people (especially Reef Squad members) will follow it. That way if you ask a question related to your build, people who are following it and know more about it, can offer help. At the very least you'll get some compliments!

As for being a rookie, we all had to start someplace. I wish I had had R2R as a source back when I was starting 20 years ago!

OP
OP
JeffLED

JeffLED

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze over apex ato all day.
This was a consideration, and I appreciate the input. I have seen the Tunze is more reliable in general (I am also a German Car driver), but I already own the APEX EL, so I thought the ATK by Apex would play nice and warn me during any points of failure (like running longer than expected). If the Tunze did fail, I would not have a clean notification other than "Tank is Leaking" or "Water Hi Alarm". If you had an Apex controller, would you still run the Tunze?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a consideration, and I appreciate the input. I have seen the Tunze is more reliable in general (I am also a German Car driver), but I already own the APEX EL, so I thought the ATK by Apex would play nice and warn me during any points of failure (like running longer than expected). If the Tunze did fail, I would not have a clean notification other than "Tank is Leaking" or "Water Hi Alarm". If you had an Apex controller, would you still run the Tunze?

I have two tanks, both have APEX, both have Tunze, I have three tanks total with three Tunze ATOs, they have never failed so there is no reason for worry. The ATK has problems (or so I read, I have never used, anecdotal for sure) . I have the ato plugged into the apex and low water sensors for peace of mind.

I understand the full apex control, but a big piece of advise in reefing, besides be patient, is dont have all your eggs in the same basket ;)

OP
OP
JeffLED

JeffLED

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fine here. And if you do a build thread, some people (especially Reef Squad members) will follow it. That way if you ask a question related to your build, people who are following it and know more about it, can offer help. At the very least you'll get some compliments!

As for being a rookie, we all had to start someplace. I wish I had had R2R as a source back when I was starting 20 years ago!
These blog type websites are where I am a rookie - I have had reefs far longer than internet has been around. I still have HPS bulbs in my basement somewhere. That's why I have never really been interested in documenting my own build...it's MY build. I already know what I did, and am by no means an expert and I'm really not one to show off. I also would not post pictures of my valuables online to show off to all, but that is just me I guess?!?!

OP
OP
JeffLED

JeffLED

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tanks, both have APEX, both have Tunze, I have three tanks total with three Tunze ATOs, they have never failed so there is no reason for worry. The ATK has problems (or so I read, I have never used, anecdotal for sure) . I have the ato plugged into the apex and low water sensors for peace of mind.

I understand the full apex control, but a big piece of advise in reefing, besides be patient, is dont have all your eggs in the same basket ;)
If the Tunze failed in the on position, is there a failsafe to prevent over flowing of the aquarium? It does not sound like it. I will have my ATO reservoir plumbed to be automatically filled.

I still have a piece of Turbinaria that I had in my college dorm in the late 90's. I only posted for the first time but I have maintained reefs for 20 years so I appreciate fail safes (a.k.a. "two baskets" for your eggs). It sounds like you are assuming the Tunze will not fail, but I do not want to assume anything will not fail (it always will eventually, right?) so I ALWAYS add at least two redundancies everywhere. I just do not see an extra level of redundancy in this case (I travel a lot and a simple alarm on the phone is not redundancy for me because it still requires intervention - I need a physical failsafe that will stop/prevent the failure from continuing).

For instance, my whole aquarium is grounded, but each point of common failure is also grounded separately. That way if the heater shorts out, the heater circuit is shut down without shutting down the entire aquariums circuit. That is just how I have always set these failure points up.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Tunze failed in the on position, is there a failsafe to prevent over flowing of the aquarium? It does not sound like it. I will have my ATO reservoir plumbed to be automatically filled.

I still have a piece of Turbinaria that I had in my college dorm in the late 90's. I only posted for the first time but I have maintained reefs for 20 years so I appreciate fail safes (a.k.a. "two baskets" for your eggs). It sounds like you are assuming the Tunze will not fail, but I do not want to assume anything will not fail (it always will eventually, right?) so I ALWAYS add at least two redundancies everywhere. I just do not see an extra level of redundancy in this case (I travel a lot and a simple alarm on the phone is not redundancy for me because it still requires intervention - I need a physical failsafe that will stop/prevent the failure from continuing).

For instance, my whole aquarium is grounded, but each point of common failure is also grounded separately. That way if the heater shorts out, the heater circuit is shut down without shutting down the entire aquariums circuit. That is just how I have always set these failure points up.

Smart!

But yes, the Tunze has TWO build in fail safes. There is a float switch in case it sticks on which cuts the pump power and sounds alarm. Then if the float switch somehow failed, the pump will only run for 10 minutes before it is auto killed and alarm. The pump power can be adjusted, I have mine pump very slow, it is quite and if somehow the sensor and float failed, it couldnt over flow sump running 10 minutes.

I am sounding like a Tunze fan boy, but I do just really appreciate them:) You can make your own decision based on your research, just my thoughts : )

OP
OP
JeffLED

JeffLED

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Piranhaman - I want to personally thank you for your time and thorough (and thoughtful reply). These conversations so often turn contentious because I feel like so much is missed because its non-verbal communication, and I think that is just inherent when someone is faced with someone who is disagreeing with them (and ours also could have gone that route!) But I was bringing up genuine concerns and thoughts, and after you completely read, considered, and responded to each one, you have me convinced - I just ordered the Tunze!

Last edited:

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Piranhaman - I want to personally thank you for your time and thorough (and thoughtful reply). These conversations so often turn contentious because I feel like so much is missed because its non-verbal communication, and I think that is just inherent when someone is faced with someone who is disagreeing with them (and ours also could have gone that route!) But I was bringing up genuine concerns and thoughts, and after you completely read, considered, and responded to each one, you have me convinced - I just ordered the Tunze!

Haha! Glad I convinced you! You will be very happy :)

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I second @Ron Reefman. You should make a build thread!

OP
OP
JeffLED

JeffLED

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took the suggestions and posted a build thread located here.
Thanks for the assistance everyone!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back