Hey, I learned something on REEF2REEF…… A literal 180 !!!

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some of you know I posted a discussion titled, “The CURSE of Julian Sprung”.
It was all about the Two Little Fishies veggie mag that apparently wasn’t supposed to stick to the outside glass but move freely with your seaweed attached on the inside of the tank. At least that’s what I thought! Well I was wrong. Someone mentioned in response that they were designed that way. What? That got me thinking. Long story short. I would have continued to think wrong if it hadn’t been for all of the reef2reefers and the comments and insight. I really did a 180 with this subject.

1. Have you done a 180 turnaround as a result of your interactions here? Let’s here about it.
A4E837B1-7966-462D-98AA-C76501244E1C.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Waterbox was a reputable company but observed firsthand the shenanigans that they put a fellow R2R'er through. To add injury to insult, they're Canadian. So from all us Canadians, we're so sorry for Waterbox.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thread!

I’m a newbie without a complete build. But I’ll bite!

I had a 180 with regards to live rock and biodiversity/“hitchhikers”. Also, bless the old salts that have taken me under my wing, had an about face with regards to chemistry and numbers. Specifically trying to control the way my tank runs and chasing numbers. Vs being zen and realizing my tank will settle down and show me what numbers the system naturally settles at and that I should work to keep things in that range rather than chasing numbers.

As far as the biodiversity: started on the dry rock train, thought anything that I might inadvertently bring into my tank was a crisis. Realized my basic understanding of biology and immune systems also applied to oceanic ecosystems; the more biodiversity your tank has, the better buffer it will have agains massive changes in microfauna and chemistry. Read: doesn’t prevent a catastrophe, but it’s one of those things that’s better to have and not need vs… etc. also, don’t freak out about most hitchhikers/potential parasites and or competitors. Yeah don’t be completely laize-fair and let everything establish itself.

rather be realistic about it: a healthy reef will have some of the “pest” algaes. Things are in balance in your tank? They’ll have their spot and keep to themselves. Trying to eradicate every bubble, hair, etc will let those guests take over.

so focus on balance. Let nature do it’s thing, and step in to give her a helping hand rather than trying to micromanage every biological and chemical processe

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thread!

I’m a newbie without a complete build. But I’ll bite!

I had a 180 with regards to live rock and biodiversity/“hitchhikers”. Also, bless the old salts that have taken me under my wing, had an about face with regards to chemistry and numbers. Specifically trying to control the way my tank runs and chasing numbers. Vs being zen and realizing my tank will settle down and show me what numbers the system naturally settles at and that I should work to keep things in that range rather than chasing numbers.

As far as the biodiversity: started on the dry rock train, thought anything that I might inadvertently bring into my tank was a crisis. Realized my basic understanding of biology and immune systems also applied to oceanic ecosystems; the more biodiversity your tank has, the better buffer it will have agains massive changes in microfauna and chemistry. Read: doesn’t prevent a catastrophe, but it’s one of those things that’s better to have and not need vs… etc. also, don’t freak out about most hitchhikers/potential parasites and or competitors. Yeah don’t be completely laize-fair and let everything establish itself.

rather be realistic about it: a healthy reef will have some of the “pest” algaes. Things are in balance in your tank? They’ll have their spot and keep to themselves. Trying to eradicate every bubble, hair, etc will let those guests take over.

so focus on balance. Let nature do it’s thing, and step in to give her a helping hand rather than trying to micromanage every biological and chemical processe
It looks like you’ve had some sage advice. As I read through different threads here, I sense these thoughts as well. Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Waterbox was a reputable company but observed firsthand the shenanigans that they put a fellow R2R'er through. To add injury to insult, they're Canadian. So from all us Canadians, we're so sorry for Waterbox.
Integrity is so important. Whether Canadian, American or wherever …. Hobbyists expect and deserve the very best. Hopefully Waterbox has had a 180 experience as well. Thanks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back