HEY REEF2REEFERS…..BEEN SNORKELING???

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me and the Mrs are presently making arrangements for flights to the Florida Keys and to the Red Sea. Have been to the latter. Amazing reefs !!! First time though in Florida. So looking forward to both!

1. How about you? Snorkeling? Scuba and what bodies of water?
E77B86C6-C1EA-4125-9A7E-5BF33040F025.gif

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a scuba diver and free diver for a very long time. Being land locked now, the beauty of the natural reef is what got me into the hobby in the first place.

I'm a retired sailor, so I've been blessed to experience reefs all over the world. Loosely planning a trip to the keys soon. Enjoy!!

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Florida Keys are cool but don't expect giant coral reefs like you see in the pacific. They are old, very old, and past their prime. Add in man made issues and the coral seeing isn't spectacular. I still love the keys though. Dad was enlisted navy stationed at NAS key west so I grew up down there and my little sister is a conch.

Sombrero Reef is pretty good for snorkeling but if you can swing a flight or ferry to the dry Tortugas and the fort it's far better and a very cool day trip.

Eat some conch fritters and if you do the Duval crawl start be wary of which end you start at or things could get awkward at the end of the night.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Florida Keys are cool but don't expect giant coral reefs like you see in the pacific. They are old, very old, and past their prime. Add in man made issues and the coral seeing isn't spectacular. I still love the keys though. Dad was enlisted navy stationed at NAS key west so I grew up down there and my little sister is a conch.

Sombrero Reef is pretty good for snorkeling but if you can swing a flight or ferry to the dry Tortugas and the fort it's far better and a very cool day trip.

Eat some conch fritters and if you do the Duval crawl start be wary of which end you start at or things could get awkward at the end of the night.
I’m making a mental note of “Conch Fritters” !!! Thanks for all the info.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a scuba diver and free diver for a very long time. Being land locked now, the beauty of the natural reef is what got me into the hobby in the first place.

I'm a retired sailor, so I've been blessed to experience reefs all over the world. Loosely planning a trip to the keys soon. Enjoy!!
Cool photo above!!! I think I might have to do something similar. Great post. Thx bud.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started SCUBA diving in 1997. I've dived and snorkelled the GBR, Coral Sea and many places further south as well as Fiji and Indonesia.
Very cool! Curious? Have you used those plastic cel phone bags to take under water pics with?

jsettles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just snorkeled the sombrero Reef in the keys (just off Marathon) and it was beautiful! It would have been even better diving but I'm too scared! It seriously made me consider getting certified though I'd love to get a closer look. That being said, sombrero Reef was great....better than the reef off Key Largo IMO.

jacksin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
J settles, I’m in marathon now, did u use Spirit for the trip to Sombrero

jacksin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple pics from the dock

Attachments

• 1EFD00C8-AE83-4F90-B907-1E86E49174C1.jpeg
    1EFD00C8-AE83-4F90-B907-1E86E49174C1.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 62
  • BCE0B631-7BC2-470E-B9E0-89AAC1A00904.jpeg
    BCE0B631-7BC2-470E-B9E0-89AAC1A00904.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 66

BVF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I snorkeled off Key West when we were staying at Casa Marina around 12 years ago. It was way before my reef tank days, but it was fun. Lots of fish, big barracuda, smallish shark, but I don’t remember much about the coral reef life. I had one of those underwater OG cameras. Been meaning to dig out those photos again.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I snorkeled off Key West when we were staying at Casa Marina around 12 years ago. It was way before my reef tank days, but it was fun. Lots of fish, big barracuda, smallish shark, but I don’t remember much about the coral reef life. I had one of those underwater OG cameras. Been meaning to dig out those photos again.
Key West may be where we end up. Can’t wait!!! Sounds great. Thx.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to live in Hawaii, I would spend minimum 6 hours straight in the water when I snorkeled. Hawaii only has hard corals, and many of the reefs on Oahu are far past their prime with all the tourists stomping on them, but nothing beats seeing green sea turtles, huge mixed schools of yellow and convict tangs grazing, and (some of my favorites) harems of bird wrasse and large trumpet fish blending in with the tangs. Oh, and my absolute favorites, huge mated pairs of butterflyfish cruising their territories. Especially the ornates and raccoons.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to live in Hawaii, I would spend minimum 6 hours straight in the water when I snorkeled. Hawaii only has hard corals, and many of the reefs on Oahu are far past their prime with all the tourists stomping on them, but nothing beats seeing green sea turtles, huge mixed schools of yellow and convict tangs grazing, and (some of my favorites) harems of bird wrasse and large trumpet fish blending in with the tangs. Oh, and my absolute favorites, huge mated pairs of butterflyfish cruising their territories. Especially the ornates and raccoons.
And you moved? Lol sounds fantastic!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Me and the Mrs are presently making arrangements for flights to the Florida Keys and to the Red Sea. Have been to the latter. Amazing reefs !!! First time though in Florida. So looking forward to both!

1. How about you? Snorkeling? Scuba and what bodies of water?
E77B86C6-C1EA-4125-9A7E-5BF33040F025.gif
Im currently in Florida and will be in the Keys all day Wednesday for scuba diving and Thursday off Biscayne for snokeling. Will post pics when I returm

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back