Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snorkel Looe Key sanctuary in Boy Scouts about 30 years ago now. Looking back on some of the pics I have, the had some nice reef areas. Mainly sea fans, gorgs, some fire corals, and nice favias and such. Lived in St. Kitts for veterinary school ( wife went there as well) so associated with the reefs there for about 5 years. Similar to the keys, but not as much boat and tourist traffic when I was there 15 years ago.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Key West may be where we end up. Can’t wait!!! Sounds great. Thx.
Key west is definitely the spot for tourist stuff to do. You can have a good time, lots of opportunities to party and book charters. Middle keys are pretty laid back with a more chill atmosphere. Marathon and Islamorada area has good restaurants with smaller crowds with more locals. You can get some good fishing and snorkeling charters out of Bud N Marys. Whale Harbor seafood buffet and the Wreck are worth eating at.

Bahia Honda State Park is a decently well hidden gem but busier every year.

Safe travels and have fun.

CocoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to live in Hawaii, I would spend minimum 6 hours straight in the water when I snorkeled. Hawaii only has hard corals, and many of the reefs on Oahu are far past their prime with all the tourists stomping on them, but nothing beats seeing green sea turtles, huge mixed schools of yellow and convict tangs grazing, and (some of my favorites) harems of bird wrasse and large trumpet fish blending in with the tangs. Oh, and my absolute favorites, huge mated pairs of butterflyfish cruising their territories. Especially the ornates and raccoons.
Here in Oahu for school and definitely agree but there are some hidden gems away from the touristy spots. Definitely still spoiled with the variety of reef wildlife

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! Curious? Have you used those plastic cel phone bags to take under water pics with?
I know you didn't ask me but I thought I'd jump in with some feedback here!

I haven't used one of the plastic cell phone bags but I just got back from Tahiti and saw several people with them.

I opted for one of these: YIXXI Diving Underwater Phone Case for iPhone /13/12 /11 Pro Max Mini Xr/X/Xs,Samsung Galaxy S22/ S21/s20/s10 Ultra Plus Professional Cell Phone Waterproof Case for Snorkeling Swimming with Lanyard https://a.co/d/7U6M0n3

They're a little more expensive but I really really liked it. It's got a nice shutter button like a DSLR, a nice big window, and makes a super tight seal.

Oh and took some abuse from a shark on a night dip!

Here are a few of My favorite pics I took using that case
49301972-42CD-40DE-B3E4-6903EF63367E.jpeg

2F1F40BF-2748-42B9-99B0-2DB3FC0051F4.jpeg

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snorkeled a small reef off of Miami a few years ago. Saw Rock beauties, pairs of butterflies, morays and scorps. Also did Pennekamp a few times. Got a little nervous here when a school of barracuda cruised alongside us.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Key west is definitely the spot for tourist stuff to do. You can have a good time, lots of opportunities to party and book charters. Middle keys are pretty laid back with a more chill atmosphere. Marathon and Islamorada area has good restaurants with smaller crowds with more locals. You can get some good fishing and snorkeling charters out of Bud N Marys. Whale Harbor seafood buffet and the Wreck are worth eating at.

Bahia Honda State Park is a decently well hidden gem but busier every year.

Safe travels and have fun.
Great tips thanks!!!

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you didn't ask me but I thought I'd jump in with some feedback here!

I haven't used one of the plastic cell phone bags but I just got back from Tahiti and saw several people with them.

I opted for one of these: YIXXI Diving Underwater Phone Case for iPhone /13/12 /11 Pro Max Mini Xr/X/Xs,Samsung Galaxy S22/ S21/s20/s10 Ultra Plus Professional Cell Phone Waterproof Case for Snorkeling Swimming with Lanyard https://a.co/d/7U6M0n3

They're a little more expensive but I really really liked it. It's got a nice shutter button like a DSLR, a nice big window, and makes a super tight seal.

Oh and took some abuse from a shark on a night dip!

Here are a few of My favorite pics I took using that case
49301972-42CD-40DE-B3E4-6903EF63367E.jpeg

2F1F40BF-2748-42B9-99B0-2DB3FC0051F4.jpeg
Great quality, thanks for jumping in bud. Appreciate it much.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snorkeled a small reef off of Miami a few years ago. Saw Rock beauties, pairs of butterflies, morays and scorps. Also did Pennekamp a few times. Got a little nervous here when a school of barracuda cruised alongside us.
I hate barracuda. The worst is when they chill under the boat staring at you as you get to the ladder.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there was just a shark attack at looe key....

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As promised. . Was a semi windy day 8 miles out in Key West. Ran into a school of grunts

Key12.JPG
Key25.JPG
Key6.JPG
Key27.JPG
Key26.JPG

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I hate barracuda. The worst is when they chill under the boat staring at you as you get to the ladder.
Saw a few Babies at mallory square Key west and Daddy

underwater35.jpg
underwater34.jpg
underwater30.jpg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snorkeled and SCUBA'd off of Key Largo multiple times in the past! Lot's of interesting reefs, but you can definitely see the effects of climate change, ocean acidification, and diseases like white band. Recent coral outplanting efforts have made some of the reefs a lot healthier though in terms of endangered species!

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent almost 8 years in Hawaii, and spent as much time at the beach as I could. I lived 5 min from a beach I could walk 10 yards into the water and be snorkeling on the coral reef. Snorkeling, fishing, treasure hunting. I moved there to study marine science and aquaculture and stayed. Volunteered at the Waikiki Aquarium as an educator after they reopened from covid. Even got recruited to be a full time technical aquarist for them but by that time I had to move away because I could no longer afford to live in Hawaii. I'm currently accumulating stuff to build. System once i get settled in a more permanent living situation.

And yes, my time definitely reinforced my views on how to keep a tank. So a few observations: 1) biodiversity is your friend. Many reef tanks are far too sterile. You can't get that in a bottle. My plan is to use dry rock as a base and source real rock from a variety of sources, especially the aquaculture stuff from Florida that is overnighter in water. It's much harder for nasties to gain a foothold when all the beneficial stuff has a solid population. 2) fat fish are healthy fish. A lot of people over stock and under feed. There's no substitute for lots of high quality food. The other side of that coin is nutrient export. Refugium with macro, skimmer and WATER CHANGES. salt mix and ro is cheeeaaap. 3) holy water flow batman. Water flow is your friend. I've always felt trying to recreate the natural environment is best. There are more tools than ever out now, but it's up to us to use them the right way. A reef tank is naturally going to ebb and flow over time, due to all kinds of factors. Some populations will grow while others get out competed and decline.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawaii, snorkeling, I did not take a pic of the 5 foot barracuda I ran into . I did pee alot. And back pedaled slowly. Flounder, snowflake ell more fish than you could shake a stick at. Wikeekee if you go there go to the wall. The top is like a large concrete block. So the water stays in between the top . Oh the fish you will see ! They have underwater cameras.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back